Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Funny stuff

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:15 pm
Post subject: Funny stuffReply with quote

Whilst surfing the web today (actually, I was trying to find the results of the Darwin GF), I came across a p*ss funny parody site for our beloved game.

There are some absolutely hilarious stories here, and three of the writing staff are Collingwood supporters.

http://www.australianrules.com.au/home.html

All leagues are covered here, not just AFL, with views expressed by dedicated supporters of their respective clubs.

If you want a laugh, click on the above link (if it works), or just cut-and-paste the URL to your browser.

Hooked
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if you found those results dale - 2nd placed St Mary's knocked off minor premiers Palmerston by about 5 goals and go straight to the GF in 2 weeks time. In the elimination final between 3rd and 4th, it was Nightcliff(you bloody beauty!) who only sneaked into 4th spot last week thanks to other results, getting one back against the Darwin Buffaloes who have been a bit of a bogey side for us lately. therefore, Nightcliff(Buck's old side up here) V Palmerston in the prelim this week (rematch of last years GF), winner to play St Mary's in the GF.
Dale61 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:38 pm

ramjet, I think you'll find that Bucks actually played for Southern Districts. His old man, Ray, played for Nightcliff, but when they moved 'down the track' to Fred's Pass, Bucks was playing senior footy, whilst still an underage player, with Districts before he headed even further south to Port Adelaide.

I never did find the results, but then again, I visited the Darwin ABC site every week and after the fourth round, no scores could be found. Maybe you could have a word to Charlie King and let him know that if the NTFL want to let their southern based fans know what's going on, maybe keeping the local ABC webpage up to date would be a good start. The NTFL Umpires Assoc. have a webpage, but that has been under construction for the past two seasons and the NTFL don't seem to be bothered to even have a page. If they can't even get something like this up and going, how in the hell would they keep an AFL team running (or has this idea died a sad death?).

If I haven't already mentioned it, I lived in Darwin for 23 years, so have some knowledge of what goes on up there. I can even remember playing on the same team with, and then against, Magic McLean. I have witnessed the the likes of Michael Long, Bucks, The McAdam's, Russell Jeffrey, Robbie AhMat, Steven Koops and even Maurice Rioli show their skills in the NTFL over the years.

PS. I used to play for Waratahs when they were known as the cream puffs.

Hooked
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:19 am

cheers for the buck's info - he played juniors at nightcliff and i just assumed his senior days were with the tigers also.
as for the website(or lack of), its been a constant source of frustration for a number of people up here and undoubtedly others like yourself in other states. ntfl has stated a few times this year of a relaunch of the site but with 2 weeks of the season remaining, its safe to say they didnt get off their arses and get it done.

the idea of a darwin based afl side has seemingly died. it was mooted one final time last year when st kilda and the bulldogs made rumblings that in order not to fold or forced into a merge, they may have to relocate and a second sydney side, canberra, tassie, the gold coast and darwin were mentioned. wayne jackson put his foot down pretty early on and said it wasnt realistic to even contemplate darwin, which i guess is fair enough. the finances and population just arent here to support it despite a relocation of an existing club costing less than establishing a new side in the comp. anyway, maybe in 15-20 years time.
who do you follow up here or is it a general interest? assume its waratahs if anyone given your playing history - unlucky to miss out on the four this year. thought they played pretty well. losing brett backwell with a few games remaining hurt them badly. he only played 5-6 games for the year and still almost won the nicholls medal.
Dale61 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:23 am

It's more of an interest thing now, considering I spent so much time up there, but I always did look forward to the Arafura Games when teams from overseas played. Thought the Japanese were the most entertaining team, whilst the NTFL v Aust Defence Forces and ADF v NZ were always games that could guarantee a bit of biffo. Is Aussie Rules still on the Games menu, and if so, who comes over to play?

After I trashed my knee in 1980, this ended by footy career (a saying up there at that time was 'If in pain, get a plane' was something I should have listened to), I took up speedway at the old Bagot Park track, then was involved with the move to Hidden Valley. Waratahs was the closest team for when we first moved up (we lived in Parap at the time), and even played cricket and baseball for them.

I remember every time we played Wanderers that there was always an all in brawl, and this was the Under 19's, and the Robbie Muir 'incident' is something that will long be remembered.

Who did win the Nicholls Medal this year?

Hooked
GeorgeQ 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:04 pm

Dale, I played for the Tahs from 1970-75, I wonder if we know each other? email me at george@magpies.net with your name, I lived in Christie st Fannie Bay.
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:11 pm

nichols medal won by Ben AhMat from Darwin Buffs. about 20 i think, pretty solid bloke and cousin(?) to Robbie AhMat. Travis Edwards(magpies) was equal top poll getter but was suspended about 2 hours before the count and its caused a bit of controversy.
big year for the AhMat's actually - old man ahmat was banned for two years from attending ntfl games after assaulting reporters at the tribunal hearing of robbie, who copped about 7 weeks from memory for a brawl. collingwood should definately look at raphael clarke(brother of xavier at st kilda) - he's a little bit wasteful with disposal sometimes but a gun player. i admire anyone who plays up here - the conditions obviously arent great for footy but the speed and skill level compared to what im used to(perth leagues) is incredible. not game to embarass myself against these guys and play myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: