Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Magpies v. Hawks. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Or since he's been our second best player, year in and year out, since Swan retired, Sidebottom might, you know, play when the match is there to be won.

Equals Tony Shaw's number of games for the Club tomorrow and will move clear into second place all-time behind Pendlebury in his next game after that. At some point, you're going to have to acknowledge that Steele is one of the handful of genuine Collingwood all-time greats to have taken the field since 1958.

Yeah nah
The old saying what have you done for me lately ?
His form has been to be generous poor
He’s never been fast but now he’s snail like slow
His field kicking has hit new lows
The only stats this season his up on his career averages is clangers and turnovers that’s it
Sooner or later your going to have to realise that his knee injury last season was more impactful than you care to acknowledge
He may end up playing the second most games for Collingwood but will never be mentioned in the same sentence or viewed in the same way true champions like Pendles Swan Buckley are
Next thing you’ll be saying Boomer Harvey was better player than Wayne Carey just because he played more games
Let me guess you would prefer Hawkins at FF than Ablett senior because he played more games
Longevity means one thing only
You got lucky with injuries
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:39 am

Selection is very tough every game.
It is interesting to note however: when you win, it is hard to see who goes out; when you lose, there is a pile-on of folks demanding that "heads-roll" to 'pay' for the loss.
My read on selection to date this year is that there is a carefully orchestrated programme of 'managing' players- particularly our elder statesman.
I would imagine, for example, that when Steene has a few VFL games under his belt that Cox will be rested. When Howe 'needs' a spell, Dean or, hopefully Murphy, comes into the team.
The exception to this rule might be Pendles as he closes in on 400 games. This is not to say he would not be the substitute at some stage.
I imagine that the medicos and the coaches have a clear idea about managing the workload of a marathon season for our veterans and that we will continue to see more evidence of this.
Equally, the likes of Macrae, Harrison, Ryan, DeMattia et al must be bled into the team when their form warrants it.
I think that Sidebottom will have relished the chance to freshen up and put in a big one on the Adelaide Oval tomorrow evening.

Floreat Pica.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:57 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
He may end up playing the second most games for Collingwood but will never be mentioned in the same sentence or viewed in the same way true champions like Pendles Swan Buckley are

He certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Buckley - unlike Buckley, he has won two premierships and (at least so far) he hasn't coached Collingwood to a decade of abject failure, either.

Your suggestion that a player who has played a massive hand in two premierships 13 seasons apart (and many other finals campaigns), won 2 Copeland trophies, been named the AFL's best player in a finals series and will very shortly have played more games for our great club than any player other apart from our epoch-defining captain is not a "true champion" is embarrassing - and you should actually be ashamed of making it.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:00 pm

Geezus what did Sidebottom do to Qldmagpie for all the hate over the years.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:29 pm

^ Steele had the misfortune to be so much better, so much more successful, so much more loyal and have such a better career than any Collingwood player taken in that draft as a second choice (after-thought) that qldmagpie67 has never really coped.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:11 pm

Well, Sidey might have the 2nd most games record, but how's his painting? Weak as piss I've heard

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:36 pm

^ Couldn't mock up a Turner to save himself. That, of course, is ultimately why he won't be remembered.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:43 pm

Swoop Luke reckons Woods by 40 points. Just saying.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:56 pm

Just like the Pies to kick the first 4 goals and remain steady till the final siren and run out say 21 points winners.

Good to see Moore making the trip.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:25 pm

Must have been one of those 24 minute viruses for Darcy Moore.....
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:26 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
^

With all respect, you’ve been shitpotting Sidey for a decade. Once upon a time I thought you did it just to stir up one of the other posters (pies4shaw?). So anything you write now just goes through to the keeper.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:46 pm

Like our forward line to be something like this:
CF: Hill Frampton JDG
FF: Elliott or Reef Checkers Lipinski
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:13 pm

Because Frampton played a stunningly good game as a KPD last week - and you'd like to completely f^&* up his confidence?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:41 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

He certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Buckley - unlike Buckley, he has won two premierships and (at least so far) he hasn't coached Collingwood to a decade of abject failure, either.

Your suggestion that a player who has played a massive hand in two premierships 13 seasons apart (and many other finals campaigns), won 2 Copeland trophies, been named the AFL's best player in a finals series and will very shortly have played more games for our great club than any player other apart from our epoch-defining captain is not a "true champion" is embarrassing - and you should actually be ashamed of making it.

Your absolute blindness for Sidey is the only embarrassing factor here
Massive hand in 2 premierships ? Please
Let’s be completely honest
2010 he was at best serviceable. He wasn’t expected to do much as he hadn’t played 50 games by then but at least he didn’t cost us either game which ina credit unlike 2018
2018 he was to be fair embarrassing. He can’t be fully blamed for the loss he can share that honour with Langdon and his 5 massive errors.
2023 take away the Stephen Bradbury like goal (by his own admission he was trying to put it to the top of the square) and he didn’t really have a influence.
He had no goal assists (which someone would think was part of a wingman’s job) but he did lead the team in turnovers
He was according to champion data Collingwood 12th ranked player on the day and 21st ranked player between the 2 sides
Hardly what you could claim to be a massive influence

Buckley given if he had more talent around him could have won 2 premierships as a player and if not for Sidey and Langdon 1 as a coach
Buckley’s 7 Copeland, 7 All Australians, Brownlow, Norm Smith, Rising star (you know that one the best rookie player the same one Sidey never won a nomination for) and numerous other awards (including AFLCA coach of the year in 2018) makes him arguably the greatest Collingwood player of the modern era and at a minimum the best player of his era
If your honestly believe Sidey is in the same conversation as Buckley then your following the wrong sport
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:54 pm

dalyc wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
^

With all respect, you’ve been shitpotting Sidey for a decade. Once upon a time I thought you did it just to stir up one of the other posters (pies4shaw?). So anything you write now just goes through to the keeper.

Mate simple fact is I never rated him as highly as others
What annoys me people will pot a young player like McRae and demand he gets dropped when he’s played less than 3 games (if you total all the minutes he’s played) but when Sidey plays a shocker or has a couple quiet weeks they go back 3 years and say remember that day he played well as a defence
He’s always be given a armchair ride
He was lucky to fall into a side primed for a premiership tilt and he didn’t set the world in fire
During that time Beams, Jason Barnham, Brad Dick and Ben Reid all won a nomination so there in itself says his output during that period
2018 he was a experience player and in the GF he was so poor it’s hard to describe. That year he should have been having the influence as a senior player and supposed leader. He can’t blame the coach he was moved forward back midfield wing and still couldn’t have any impact what so ever
Remember who played on him ? I wouldn’t be surprised if you didn’t
It was Hutchens that west coast player who 4 weeks later was dropped from there team
People give him a pass mark for that game like it never happened but pies4shaw will happily blame for coach for us not winning that game.
I’ll cop the flack from poster saying I’m biased against him or whatever
But I say it how I see it if others don’t agree that’s fine with me where all entitled to opinions
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8   

Jump to: