Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Has Mark Richardson been the luckiest player to play for us?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rohan 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:08 pm
Post subject: Has Mark Richardson been the luckiest player to play for us?Reply with quote

Methinks Richo should enter the lottery.

In 11 years at the club Richardson has finished once in the top ten of the Best and Fairest. I was thinking and even David Mensch had better credentials in his time at Geelong yet wasn't retained like Richardson.

ATM it's simple to see we are struggling in the ruck. Is the opportunity cost of keeping Richardson on the list greater than that of picking up an untried tall youngster in the draft and developing him?

ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

like guy richards you mean?
take the point on him being lucky though. strange thing is you rarely see a poor game from him, its just he's barely on the senior paddock more than 4 or 5 times a year. almost traded/delsited last year apparently and believed he would be picked up by another club if that happened. wanted to stay at pieland though and this will definately be his last year unless he plays seniors regularly.
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:28 am

No he's not the luckiest player. After Cloke got suspended Richo was going to play in the Grand Final but got injured on the track on the Thursday night. I don't call that lucky.

I think in his later years Richo has been of excellent service and since we can now have him on the Vetrans list there is no harm in keeping him on.

PenshurstPie 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:21 pm

Trivai question

Who was the last Collingwood player to poll more Brownlow votes in a season than Nathan Buckley?

It's worth remembering this sort of stuff when casting doubts over a player at the end of a career.

Answer M Richardson 1996
Woody Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:43 am

I think your a tad confused PenhurstPie, Richo has only totalled 4 career Brownlow votes and failed to register any in 1996. Bucks on the other hand has never polled any less than 7 votes in a year.
champagne leon 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:26 am

Me thinks you would be refering to Matthew Richardson from the tiges who polled 13 votes that year......4 more than buckley !
Scotty Russell actually polled 13 votes as well that year ???
DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:31 pm

About 3 years ago Richardson had a stellar year across half back, often playing in the ruck and going forward to kick some long goals. He kicked our first goal of the 2002 season and I thought he was destined for a decent year. If not for injuries (surely that was why he played so little last year) Richo would have been a valuable contributor.

It seems so long since I've yelled out, RICHO! at one of his customary marks across half back.
Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:43 pm

Mr reliable....not flashy.....but does his job....

TERRY
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:40 pm

DAicosmag I remember taht year well, Richo was about the best CHB in the league and also did well in the ruck - I remember him charging in at a center bounce and puncing it about 20 metres. Seems he may have matured a trifle late and injuries started catching up on him.
GREat shame about last years GF, I personally think he could well have been the answer on gorrilla Lynch who of course got 4 tragic goals, although I don't know why MM didn't try Presti on him - Wakelin bounced off him like a mosquito.
TRELOS 

TRELOS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:41 pm

maybe we play Richo in ruck.....
MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:31 am

I think Richo's actually been unlucky with his run of injuries and team balance at times also keeping him out of games. Not only is he a great guy but he has been loyal to our footy club - not something you see as much in this day and age. I'd love to see him fully fit this year and getting a chance to have a run in the seniors - as this may be the last season we see him in the black and white guernsey.

GO PIES!
Marg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: