Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pendles 'captained' our 2023 Premiership.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Daicos Mullets wrote:
^

Is this your annual post?! Welcome back.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:12 pm

How many clubs are into Pendles to be coach for the 2025 season and beyond? As a club, you are not doing your due diligence if you are not sounding him out.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:28 pm

Pendles' football intelligence and leadership qualities are unquestionably brilliant. He was a big part of our flag success.

However, we shouldn't take credit away from Moore. He was elected captain by the playing group, so that's as a strong endorsement as one can receive. The way he carries himself only makes me proud of the club.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:33 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Somehow, I dont ever see him leaving the leadership group.
when he retires, his priority will be the future of Collingwood FC.
He is a Pie for life in every sense of the term.
After he retires (whenever that may be) he will be there to advise, mentor, encourage the leadership group behind the scenes.
I find it hard to imagine Pendles ever becoming an assistant coach at another club, but realistically it may happen, given the nature of professional sport. However, i see that - if it occurs - as merely an interim, training period, to prepare him for the ultimate destiny: our senior coach. It is obvious to all how he is our current onfield coach. His onfield coaching won us the GF. In 2024, we will again benefit from his unparalleled wisdom, acumen and authority onfield.
I see it as a distinct possiblitiy that Pendles will actually never leave Collingwood - instead becoming an assistant coach with us, and then our senior coach. I know others will raise that this trajectory is not a successful one (given the experience with Bux) and Pendles should first get experience elsewhere. But Pendles is not Bux....they are completely different in terms of relationships with team mates, styles of communication, flexibility in messaging, and willingness to loosen the reins and allow others freedom of decision.
As I see it (very conditional, I know!!) I think that it is highly likely Pendles will not ever be at another club. Maybe he will go into media for a short while after retirment, but the connections, the respect, the leadership, the sync that binds him to the Pies is a gigantic and fundamental force in the AFL universe. The relationship between Pendles and the Pies is I feel quite unprecedented in the history of the AFL.

I appreciate the sentiment around Pendles. He's a club legend and arguably one of the club's greatest ever players.

However, the thought of Pendles coaching us always scares me after what we experienced under Shaw and Buckley, and going further back with Weideman in the mid-70s.

I would only support Pendlebury coaching us in the future if he went elsewhere and did a thorough coaching apprenticeship at another club first. He can learn outside the Collingwood environment and expand his horizons beyond our four walls. This is something Buckley didn't do and we suffered as a result of it.

If there's demonstrable evidence that he's capable of being a successful senior coach, you would contemplate the possibility of him coaching us one day.

The day he retires, I can guarantee almost every club will be vying for his services as an assistant coach. The football IQ and experience he provides is invaluable.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:05 pm

Jezza wrote:

I appreciate the sentiment around Pendles. He's a club legend and arguably one of the club's greatest ever players.

However, the thought of Pendles coaching us always scares me after what we experienced under Shaw and Buckley, and going further back with Weideman in the mid-70s.

I would only support Pendlebury coaching us in the future if he went elsewhere and did a thorough coaching apprenticeship at another club first. He can learn outside the Collingwood environment and expand his horizons beyond our four walls. This is something Buckley didn't do and we suffered as a result of it.

If there's demonstrable evidence that he's capable of being a successful senior coach, you would contemplate the possibility of him coaching us one day.

The day he retires, I can guarantee almost every club will be vying for his services as an assistant coach. The football IQ and experience he provides is invaluable.

Understand fully the anxiety about Pendles becoming our coach without finding experience elsewhere. After the experience with Bux, I feel the same trepidation.
Yet, if every club would be vying for his services as an assistant coach, why shouldn't we?
I don;t think this is an issue of principle. It is far more an individual issue.
Does Pendles have the personality, the broad mindedness, the respect, to bond well as an assistant coach with the guys he has played with?

This can only be answered from within the club, but I don;t think there is some universal law that because Pendles has been with us for his entire playing career, he must find experience elsewhere. It all depends on his rapport with the playing group and the respect he commands.

I have faith in our club to make excellent choices. The selection of Fly as our senior coach is a case in point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: