Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

America and the Middle East

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Magpietothemax wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Life will be better when Mid East oil is no longer needed.

-so you do believe in climate change? Shocked

No, Islam ideals don't mix with the ideals of the West and they are diverging at an increasing rate.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:57 am

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Yeah but shit has changed since 2006.
None of this has anything to do with Marxian analysis or "Cold War thinking" or anything of the kind. The question is: is the Middle East – and, specifically, the orientation of the powers there towards America – still viewed by the US government and those in charge of its foreign policy as strategically crucial? The answer is yes, of course it is.

But that couldn't be the more wrong or least relevant question, and it shows exactly what I said: you're projecting Cold War American power on today's American power. It matters half of bugger all what Washington thinks because they're plainly, clearly, no longer able to simply do what they want. Somehow, you've missed three decades of monstrous global changes.

They can huff and puff all they like, but it's too bloody hard to push people around as they once did. Yes, they're the financial superpower, which is the biggest source of power they have, but as I say that's limited because if everything is routed through their markets, every bomb they drop elsewhere affects their own markets.

It's as if you can't believe your own lying eyes: They have just lost two wars; triggered a GFC that crashed their own economy as much or more than elsewhere; are counter-balanced by giant new trade blocs in the EU, China and BRICs; are internally riven with one of their two parties taken over by deranged fruitcakes; are facing apparently intractable weak productivity growth (even if still better than the sickly UK); flailed as much as any other country through a pandemic and its inflationary aftermath; and were just told where to stick it by the fatheaded leader of tiny ally Israel.

Plainly, clearly, they're struggling to control absolutely anything at all in the way you keep implying. Perhaps it's that you're underestimating how much lopsidedness is needed to grant substantial control today. Well-connected and slickly run minnows can easily scupper things by drumming up support from rival blocs and teams of internet propagandists, while no one can use WMDs because too many other people have them and even talk of them collapses the markets. And in any case, the US is so divided that any major initiative of one party becomes a counter-platform for the other party in the culture wars.

Even global population alone should tell you that despite being the superpower, 330-odd million people are going to struggle to control 8 billion-odd people. Superpower status still equates to an advantage and significant influence virtually everywhere, but the days of one-way traffic are over; now, it's much more about mutual benefit. Mericfully, I'd say.

It seriously doesn't matter what anyone in Washington thinks; they can't control something they can't control. The world has changed.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:46 am

There's a gulf between will and capacity, but there's also something in between those two poles, which could (with apologies to the Fyre Festival organisers) be called the "Let's just do it and be legends" approach. Lots of countries act beyond their means, sometimes with catastrophically self-destructive consequences – and last time I checked, the world isn't a rational place, and America is certainly no exception.

I could repeat nearly everything you've written above for Russia, and add much more besides. No-one now can argue that Russia is any less of an economic basket-case or shell of its former self – indeed, you've said that here yourself many times – and yet Putin doesn't seem to have gotten the memo in terms of geopolitical ambitions, hence why Russia continues to throw its weight around in Ukraine and the Caucasus, not so long ago nearly single-handedly kept the Assad regime in power in Syria and defeated ISIS, and continues to prop up Iran and its various Middle Eastern proxies while sending mercenaries off to enact regime change in various African countries. Can they afford to do all that with their limited resources, which have come under even greater strain thanks to the recent sanctions? I don't know, maybe not. But the crucial thing is this: it hasn't stopped them.

As it stands, there's not much real estate left in the Middle East that isn't aligned with either US and Russia and at least somewhat dependent on one or the other (Turkey is probably the one power in the region that is relatively independent). This has nothing to do with Cold War hallucinations; anyone can see that both powers are substantially diminished, particularly so in Russia's case, and yet in many ways they continue to act like it's 1962.

Much of this discussion – or, at least, your original argument with MTTM – is about the word "control". To me, that's a mostly semantic issue. Does the US "control" Australia? Not literally, in the sense that they couldn't give a toss about most of our domestic policy debates, and perhaps not even in a broader definition given we in theory could defy them (and who knows, maybe one day we'll live to see it happen), but for all intents and purposes, they do. They say jump and we say how high. If that's not control, then it's close enough to satisfy any hegemonic superpower in the market for client states.

And the same goes to varying extents for Saudi Arabia, Israel, Kuwait, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Oman, Jordan and now Iraq. They're all economically and militarily dependent on the US, and all toe the line on the things that matter. Sure, Israel acts up from time to time, but that's because they know they have the leeway to do so. Personally, I don't much care what anyone labels that situation, whether it be control, hegemony, "spheres of influence" or whatever – as long as we're seeing the same thing, that's all that matters. And if the US have reached the point of losing interest in adding members to that club or neutralising the opposition bloc, as Stui was arguing a couple of pages back, then I'll eat both my shoes. Of course this is silly because we all know that Washington still considers Iran an enemy, still has military bases all over the place, and Ron Paul isn't the president.

I think you may have gotten the wrong end of the stick from the outset because MTTM might have been hinting at the prospect of a unilateral US invasion of Iran. For what it's worth, I think that's unlikely and that that probably does have more to do with lack of capacity than lack of will. I also think it's a prospect that's diminished substantially since, say, 2008. But just as the Soviet Union and China weren't directly confronted during the Cold War, you can expect that proxy skirmishes will continue in places like Syria, Iraq and Yemen, and that could lead to war. For a country that could easily have Donald Trump as president again in a year's time, you'd be brave to confidently predict any positive or sane outcome here.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:28 am

^Just quickly, no, Russia is a case in point of what I'm saying. Like the US they can't do much except creep over one of their borders and bomb far off lands no one (shamefully) cares about; it's not like they're invading Romania or Belgium. They're basically grabbing what they can now precisely for the reasons outlined: war is too much trouble even for the superpower, while major war is out of the question, so keeping just tolerably below the threshold is the right ploy for Russia's level of distant theft, and using the interconnected economy to rattle markets and polities is ample weaponry.

Just look at how the GOP dimwits have fallen for it, such that getting funding for defending Ukraine from violent invasion is like getting blood from a stone in Congress.

Nutterayhoo is doing exactly the same thing; the US is too divided for Biden to sort the SOB out good and proper, because Trumpists will suddenly pretend they care about Israel. They don't, but the politics is so dumb they will take up absolutely any contrary position and flip 180 degrees the next day if need be. And like Putin, Nutteryahoo knows it.

This is what these parasites like Trump, Bolsonaro and Orban do, trained by the king parasite, Putin. He started pressuring fossil fuels just after the pandemic supply shock to rattle people and make them turn away from his thuggery, and once that started losing effect he went for wheat and food prices as a second act. (Too bad if the inflation suffering extended all the way down to Africa and the war costs his own people at the same time, effing psychopath).

I don't know what you're seeing (perhaps in the rest of your post which i'll read later), but exactly the same dynamics explain Putin's strategy. Egg-blooody-zactly! Putin is the master of using leverage because while he can't afford long wars, he knows we have even less tolerance for them.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:00 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Look, I never said that the middle east and it's oil production doesn't have strategic significance for a number of countries, the USA in particular, which is exactly why they cosy up to the Saudis and Iraq.

But the US won't be fighting any wars in the region to take control of oil production, they clearly don't need to. 20 years ago it was a different matter, if the middle east turned off the oil the USA was fvcked but now they only get 10% of their oil from there and that's more about retaining strategic relationships than "need".

As Ptiddy mentioned, there's a bloody big difference between maintaining a strategic relationship and influencing then seeking to actually control.

Until such time as renewable energy really takes over, which is likely decades away, it's in everyone's best interest to ensure that middle eastern oil is in the hands of people who are sane and able to be reasoned and negotiated with, not a bunch of mad Mullah's.

Your comment reeks of Islamophobia. You would prefer Middle Eastern oil to be in the hands of US imperialism and its various client regimes (such as Saudi Arabia, where people are publicly executed for adultery, critical journalists are murdered and cut up into pieces, and the economy is sustained by the slave labour of immigrants who are denied all human rights.) They are the "people we can negotiate with" according to you.

Have you been asleep for the last 25 years? For the past quarter of century and more, the US has been involved in an unending series of wars.

David is absolutely correct. The question of US domestic oil production is a total red herring. Domination of the Middle East is a geostrategic imperative for the US as it fights to maintain itself against the rise of China and other rivals such as Germany.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:23 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Life will be better when Mid East oil is no longer needed.

-so you do believe in climate change? Shocked

No, Islam ideals don't mix with the ideals of the West and they are diverging at an increasing rate.

The ideals of Islam don't always conflict with the "West".
Saudi Arabia is a very close ally of the US.
The US and its NATO allies have armed and trained Islamic fundamentalist forces to carry out the war against Assad in Syria.
"Islamic values" only conflict with "Western values" when the Islamic governments, military forces etc oppose the interests of the US. When they toe the line of the US, they are best of friends.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:04 am

David wrote:
Much of this discussion – or, at least, your original argument with MTTM – is about the word "control". To me, that's a mostly semantic issue. Does the US "control" Australia? Not literally, in the sense that they couldn't give a toss about most of our domestic policy debates, and perhaps not even in a broader definition given we in theory could defy them (and who knows, maybe one day we'll live to see it happen), but for all intents and purposes, they do. They say jump and we say how high. If that's not control, then it's close enough to satisfy any hegemonic superpower in the market for client states.

Personally, I don't much care what anyone labels that situation, whether it be control, hegemony, "spheres of influence" or whatever – as long as we're seeing the same thing, that's all that matters....

I think you may have gotten the wrong end of the stick from the outset because MTTM might have been hinting at the prospect of a unilateral US invasion of Iran. For what it's worth, I think that's unlikely and that that probably does have more to do with lack of capacity than lack of will...For a country that could easily have Donald Trump as president again in a year's time, you'd be brave to confidently predict any positive or sane outcome here.

I definitely don't underestimate Trump's insanity, whatever else I may miscue!

I actually don't think it's semantic, which is why I've ploughed on despite your protestations. We have a long history of talking about these things in the VPT, so it's not hard to gauge what everyone means. The assumptions just refuse to change, no matter how much I harp on about multipolarity, declining American power, economic change, etc. I was hoping terms above like 'dated Cold War understanding' might trigger some revision, but not to be Wink We saw similar things from Corbynists and Lexiters, while we still get the old union set pining for 1970s manufacturing on cue twice a year, as if it's even vaguely possible.

The assumptions about American power need major revision while still acknowledging the advantages of superpower status, market predominance and military pre-eminence (three phrases which, as explained in posts above, are extremely misleading today no matter how impressive they may look on paper). Part of the risk with Trump is that he's so world ignorant he wouldn't have even noticed these shifts, a fantasy which his cult of course finds incredibly comforting in their delusions of unfettered control.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:07 am

Magpietothemax wrote:

various client regimes (such as Saudi Arabia, where people are publicly executed for adultery, critical journalists are murdered and cut up into pieces, and the economy is sustained by the slave labour of immigrants who are denied all human rights.)

Despite being an ally, these are not Western ideals

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:55 am

US just vetoed yet again another UN resolution for an immediate, sustained ceasefire. Yet according to some here, the US is not the main force of destruction in the Middle East. Rolling Eyes
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:18 pm

^The Security Council has five members with veto power, even going back to a period of overwhelming US dominance in the 1960s. And we all know the rest often hide behind the US veto, letting the US wear the ignominy.

But at least you've gone from the term 'control' to the US being 'the main force'. As amply explained, being the superpower ipso facto means being the main force, but being the main force on a multipolar planet means far less than being the main force among devastated post-war nations and a peasant third world, something that started falling apart in the 1990s.

Everything has changed, and the two lost wars this century were the last hurrah for the kind of dominance you so desperately wish to defend. As further explained, only extreme dominance gives you anything like 'control' in a world of rival blocs and WMDs. And those days are well and truly done.

You're like the inverse of Trumpists: they too can't let fantasies of American control go, but for very different reasons. It's as if you mourn for the good old days when there was only one Great Satan. With your head trapped in the past, it would only be fitting for you to pick up where your education left off, i.e., when outdated Marxian thought rightly started being deconstructed.

You don't have to buy into poststructuralism to take something from its critique, which deals with the subtle way over-claims like 'control' distort and reinforce power. Whether you frame it like Chomsky as somerthing you've always known, and therefore a truism, is up to you. Here's a book written by an old lecturer of mine:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.5749/j.cttts7zc

Again, not my genre and not the way I'd make the point, but a valid point and necessary excursion nonetheless.

You can't claim authority in the area of business, capital, economics and social theory if you've never studied classical economics, never engaged in business (and met payroll), never led an organisation, and never considered major alternative critiques to your pet theories, FFS. That's where I part ways with the old left; as much as I agree with a lot of its sentiment, it is ridiculously world ignorant and grossly over-claims accordingly.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:11 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^l

Who is supplying all of Israel's weaponry at the moment? (You are correct if you guessed: the US)
If the US stopped funding israel's genocide machine tomorrow, the Netahanyu regime would have to agree to a cease fire within a week.
You dont have to have a phd in classical economics, nor experience as a CEO of a blue chip corporation, to comprehend that simple reality.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:20 am

^But you've just jumped from generic control of the planet to the funding of its most famously close ally. And ironically, all of the talk in America is about it being led by the nose by that ally and its fruitbat leader.

And if you bothered to read any poststructuralism, you'd know that's exactly what it predicts: i.e., that the discourse becomes all-encompassing and dictates the options. So, the old idea that 'Israel is our closest ally that must be supported' just can't be overcome, even though everyone knows Nutteryahoo is a fruitcake and doesn't represent 'Israel' as a whole.

The discourse controls the acceptable idea space, which in turn controls the action space.

Of course, this is significantly because Trump will simply pretend he cares about Israel and use it as a wedge and fund-raising tool, but that's part of my argument: it takes overwhelming control to have control, and that no longer exists in a multipolar world. Completely contrary to your view, the US is actually being held in checkmate on this.

And that's exactly what I've been saying: they can't control a tiny ally, can't protect their borders, can't fend off the worst effects of financial crises and pandemics, and can't do all kinds of things. Because the world has changed, if indeed America ever had as much control as we used to imagine (Vietnam, anyone?).

These kinds of contradictions - not the old-school Marxian capital accumulation contradictions you refuse to let go - are precisely why people started moving away from grand Marxian theory.

You can keep imagining what you believed as a teenager ought to suffice once for all time, or you can upgrade your thinking like most adults.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:50 am

pietillidie wrote:
everyone knows Nutteryahoo is a fruitcake and doesn't represent 'Israel' as a whole.

I wish that were true, but sadly reality of late doesn't seem to be bearing it out. His policy on Palestine is more or less reflective of mainstream opinion, and there are plenty of people in his government now – people with more than insignificant support among the population – with way more extreme views.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:16 pm

^That's not what the polling shows, as far as I can tell. The constants are fear of and contempt for Hamas, followed by contempt for Netanyahu. Naturally, people want security, so under duress they're going to tolerate overkill (literally, in this case) if it secures their immediate safety. But very little of that is translating into support for Nutteryahoo beyond hardline vote, which only ever seems to be about a third of the country.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:41 pm

^^The Hardliners are having more children than the moderates so the situation is only going to get worse in years to come. Genocide is the hardliner's goal and taking over Gazza is the first step. Palestinian hardliners have more children than the moderates so there's an increase in Hamas numbers. There will never be peace in the Middle East whilst hardliners are in charge of both sides.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: