Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Impact of two new players!!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:32 pm
Post subject: The Impact of two new players!!!Reply with quote

The impact of two new, readily available players to the starting team can never be under-estimated. Remember:

* Cloke and Raines in 1983
* BT and Tony Burgess in 1985 (ok, maybe not Tony but more-so Russell Dickson)
* McGuane, Brown and Crosisca in 1988
* Francis and S Russell in 1990
* Clement and Wakelin in 2001
* Thomas and Pendles in 2006
* Jolly and Ball in 2010
* Mitchell and Hill in 2023?

Bona-fide starting 18 players who can make material impact is a huge thing for any club. For 2024, my thoughts are:

"Schultz (obviously) and Reef McInnes" can be the two players that make this similar imprint on our teams performances. Naturally the departures of Adams are Ginnivan open up two automatic spots and you'd think Frampton is best 25.

Which two players on our list do you think can have the most impact in season in 2024???

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fair to assume Schultz will be the only "new" player to have a major impact this year, unless someone like Allan or Steene comes in and surpasses expectations. Otherwise, if we're referring to players coming in from the periphery, I can see Macrae being the source of improvement this time around.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:14 pm

Sarge obviously is a lock and while reef isn't a new player I can see him having a breakout season as a fast leading 194cm FF who can also apply defensive pressure.

We can use a resting ruck for the get out dump kick to spoil opposition intercept defenders but a fast moving tall like Reef suits our gamestyle.

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:16 pm

Reefe has all the tools, and I have always thought he looked alright at senior level, I am bullish

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:10 pm

Yeppo, Reef always had a high level of athletic ability, last year in the 2's was looking good as a forward bagging a few goals.

I noticed this preseason he is venturing out further up the ground a la Cameron. Early days, looking formidable.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:06 am

Reef McInnes pace and forward guile improvement makes him a fascinating watch. Track watchers, has he put on muscle and weight? Hope so as he could be a difficult match up for all defenders.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:02 pm

Sarge will surely have an immediate impact.

Let's hope that Finn, Reef and possibly Allan, can step up and strengthen our side this year.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:37 pm
Post subject: Re: The Impact of two new players!!!Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
The impact of two new, readily available players to the starting team can never be under-estimated. Remember:

Okay, are we talking over-summer recruits/trades from other teams here, with match hardened bodies, 1st year draft players, or blokes who have merely stepped up from their debut season?

Without trying to nitpick and muddy the waters here, let's also praise...

1981: Mark Williams and Mick Taylor from SANFL; wonderful servants to our club.

inxs88 wrote:
* Cloke and Raines in 1983

And Mike Richardson from WAFL, later Greg Philips from SANFL, Morwood from swans, and of course the late-great Philip Walsh, prior to his poaching.

inxs88 wrote:
* BT and Tony Burgess in 1985 (ok, maybe not Tony but more-so Russell Dickson)

Burgo was a beautiful kick, Dicko was shifty around goal. Millane started to turn heads in his 2nd year.
1987: Christian and Starcevich from WAFL [be thankful both weren't secured by WCE in debut season, or no 1990 flag...]

inxs88 wrote:
* McGuane, Brown and Crosisca in 1988

All above debuted in 1987; Wright was the boom recruit, Barwick and Hawke gave us run and goals in 1988.
1989: Craig Kelly [not counting the 1988 overseas exhibition games], and the enigmatic shooting-star Heath Shephard

inxs88 wrote:
* Francis and S Russell in 1990

Both instrumental in that premiership; we finish 4th/5th without them.

Then the great 90s drafting/trading clusterfucks began in earnest; culminating in the overlooking of Pavlich in 1999, before the ship was steadied the years following.

inxs88 wrote:
* Clement and Wakelin in 2001

Holland, Didak, Molloy, Lonie etc; the broom got put through the list in 2000.

inxs88 wrote:
* Thomas and Pendles in 2006

Again be thankful Whorethorn missed Pendles and took Ellis instead; otherwise the 1990 team are still our most recent flag.
I consider his non-selection by Whoreks and Blooz the luckiest break WE EVER got at the draft, period. Some durable players went from 6 onwards in 2005 draft, but none at his level:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_AFL_draft

inxs88 wrote:
* Jolly and Ball in 2010

The players we had to poach in order to step up; we'd missed out on too many "free agents" in seasons prior, before that term was labelled.

inxs88 wrote:
* Mitchell and Hill in 2023?

One could also plead a case for McStay prior to both the injuries he sustained during the season, and Frampo, whilst far from perfect, made several solid contributions during the season, including carrying the ruck in absence of Darcy C and Mason.

inxs88 wrote:
Bona-fide starting 18 players who can make material impact is a huge thing for any club.

Preparation must meet opportunity, in order to succeed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: