Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What happened to the crack down on holding the ball? !!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wearmouth 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:58 am
Post subject: What happened to the crack down on holding the ball? !!Reply with quote

All during the Wizz Fizz Cup I watched as players who were caught in possession for more than a second with prior opportunity were pinged for holding or dropping the ball.

Last night I saw some of the most blatant holding the ball incidences for even the normal season and they went un punished. I watch the replay last night when I came home just to see them again and I still couldnt beleive how they were not being paid. There was 7 that were unquestionably holding the ball and 2 that could have been paid. One in particular occurred in the 14 minute mark of the second quarter when 3 different crows players were consequetively caught in possession and nothing was paid and from the next movement of play the crows scored.

I just wish these maggots would remain consistent.

Thats why they are hated.

Floreat Pica!!!!
DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:11 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a disgrace. The Footballing Fraternity wonders why we abuse them so much. How can 40 thousand people know it is holding the ball but 3 maggots can't? What about when the Crows player took a mark on defensive 50 and played on straight into our player he was not aware was behind him? He was tackled, held up, incorrect disposal... In a sense, taking a mark is your prior opportunity. If you choose to play on you're fresh meat and should be penalised, regardless if you run straight into a player! Then what do they do - penalise Mckee in front of their goal for a soft push in the side of the opposing ruckman who kicks a goal (potential 12 point turnaround). I'm so sick and tired of free s awarded for ruck infringements, especially in front of goal (ruck contests are overrated - a minute percentage of taps result in a goal from a ball-up or throw-in inside 50). A ruck infringm,ent is not worth a goal for a soft push - Tarrant gets manhandled more than this and gets nadda!!!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:26 am

Its a pity the umpires are untouchable in terms of criticism as they will actually think they do a great job. In soccer you can raise points if you think the linesman or the referee were harsh.

There was one passage of play where there were at least four clear holding the balls and the umpire calls play on.

McKee was penalised in the first quarter with a red hot holding the ball as you arnt allowed to grab it out of the ruck. Personally i don't like that rule.

However the funniest thing all night was at the locker room end when the goal umpire forgot the signal for a 3 pointer. He stood there like an idiot until the umpire came and had to remind him and show him the signal. Classic stuff.

The umpire i cannot stand is Scott McLaren. Ever since the Port game last year first time round at Football Park i have not liked him. He gave a few dodgy decisions again last night.

jlc
silf85 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:29 am

Steve McBurney was the main culprit last night.
Need I say anymore?
TRELOS 

TRELOS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:00 pm

yes daicos magic i remember the incident, i thnk the umpire called play on, Didak tackled him and it was not holding the ball. I couldnt believe it whe they penalised stunning in the first 2 seconds of the game.
another thing, people always bag Tarrant for not doing anything, but our delivery to him is absolutely appauling, he is consitently forced to wait for the ball, or when he makes a lead it is straight over his head. If we are able to hit him on the chest when he makes a lead he would kick so many more goals.
STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:00 pm

when you pay holding the ball in the first 2 seconds of the game that sets the standard for the whole game does'nt it?
CP 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:11 pm
Post subject: A Bloody JokeReply with quote

DaicosMagic wrote:
What about when the Crows player took a mark on defensive 50 and played on straight into our player he was not aware was behind him? He was tackled, held up, incorrect disposal... In a sense, taking a mark is your prior opportunity. If you choose to play on you're fresh meat and should be penalised, regardless if you run straight into a player! Then what do they do - penalise Mckee in front of their goal for a soft push in the side of the opposing ruckman who kicks a goal (potential 12 point turnaround). I'm so sick and tired of free s awarded for ruck infringements, especially in front of goal (ruck contests are overrated - a minute percentage of taps result in a goal from a ball-up or throw-in inside 50). A ruck infringm,ent is not worth a goal for a soft push - Tarrant gets manhandled more than this and gets nadda!!!

Are you me?

I blurted a rant last night that is almost word for word of your comment. Even down to the Tarrant comparison. Freaky really.

The worst thing about this incident was that the [snip] ump stood there for at least 4 seconds immediately prior and during the tackle, waving his arms like an idiot yelling "play on, play on."

If he was so sure it was play on, why the [snip] wasn't is holding the ball?

Didak, Tarrant, Rocca and Molly all made a b-line to that ump whilst Biglands received the softest free at the other end and was lining up for goal. I was actually spewing not one of them decked him. Then I gathered my wits and thanked Christ they didn't!!

Offensive language has been removed from this post (AnthonyC)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: