Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Congratulations (FOX Footy players of the decade 2010-19)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:42 am
Post subject: Congratulations (FOX Footy players of the decade 2010-19)Reply with quote

I’ve spoken to a close mate at News and he has told me Fox Footy are putting together a package of the best players of the decade 2010-2019
They’ve partnered with champion data who provided a list of there top 150 players based purely on their statistical data
The list was then given to Fox Footy list of former players, coaches and media people who then provided their top 50
Combined votes then finalised the final 50
Fox Footy will during the season put together a 30 minute highlight package of each player to be run after season 2024 is completed.
I don’t know the final placings but 3 Collingwood players made the final list of top 50 (only Geelong and Hawthorne with 4 each had more players in the top 50)
Congratulations goes to

Scott Pendlebury
Dane Swan
Dayne Beams

All 3 are Copeland trophy winners, premiership players, have finished top 3 in AFLPA MVP and AFLPA Coaches voting as well as having multiple top 10 Brownlow finishes during that decade.

Side note only 1 ruckman made the list of top 50 players who would like a guess at his name ?
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that Beams made the list- was it for his exploits as a Magpie or a Lion (or, presumably, as a combo of both...??)

Swan and Pendlebury were no brainers.

Would Darren Jolley be the ruckman??

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:44 am

warburton lad wrote:
Interesting that Beams made the list- was it for his exploits as a Magpie or a Lion (or, presumably, as a combo of both...??)

Swan and Pendlebury were no brainers.

Would Darren Jolley be the ruckman??

No not Jolly
I’m assuming it was what he did at both clubs
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:03 am
Post subject: Re: Congratulations is in orderReply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Side note only 1 ruckman made the list of top 50 players who would like a guess at his name ?

If it was just for the 2018/2019 seasons, it'd be Grundy hands down.
But for the early part of that period, Dean Cox was consistently the best ruckman in the competition.
So that leaves Max Gawn, but he was injured for a good time and really only started to flourish late in that period.
So out of left field, Goldstein?

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:09 pm

I'd have had Daisy before Beams. People seem to forget just how good he was. Arguably he was our best player across the 2010 finals series, which delivered us a flag. As good as Beams was, he never performed well in finals.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:57 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

But for the early part of that period, Dean Cox was consistently the best ruckman in the competition.
So that leaves Max Gawn, but he was injured for a good time and really only started to flourish late in that period.

Goldstein was a good but incorrect guess
It was Big Boy McEvoy
I was a little surprised to be honest but when you look at his stats and think back to his influence when he played at the hawks it isn’t as unusual as I thought originally
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:05 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I'd have had Daisy before Beams. People seem to forget just how good he was. Arguably he was our best player across the 2010 finals series, which delivered us a flag. As good as Beams was, he never performed well in finals.

Rude I always believed Thomas was highly underrated player especially 2008/2011
He was often spoken about behind Swan and Pendles
As for Beams I was a little surprised as well but if you ask a player who’s opinion they value most about there performance they’ll say there peers then the coaches
Beams had 2 x top 5 and 2 more top 10 finishes in the MVP voting and 3 top 10 finishes in the coaches voting over that period
He also won 2 B&F’s and had 3 more top 3 finishes and was our best first year player in 2010 and had 3 top 10 finishes in the Brownlow
Again I think people think about the later years of his career not the first few years of his career
In 2012 when he won the Copeland he beat a field containing Swan Pendles Thomas just to name 3

I’m guessing Ablett JR will be named #1
I would have Swan and Pendles easily in top 10
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:14 pm

Typically Jack "Bionic Man" Crisp ignored again.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:32 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Typically Jack "Bionic Man" Crisp ignored again.

Outside of Collingwood he seems highly underrated for sure
I often laugh and wonder what the lions think now
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:19 pm

^ They'd think they were morons to trade Crisp and the De Goey pick out in order to get Beams. Mind you, that didn't take hindsight - Collingwood's best-ever trade deal, bar none.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:25 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Goldstein was a good but incorrect guess
It was Big Boy McEvoy
I was a little surprised to be honest but when you look at his stats and think back to his influence when he played at the hawks it isn’t as unusual as I thought originally

He was stunning in 2010 - his ability to over-riun the ball and have no influence at all, when it mattered, is legendary.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:52 pm

^ that's a bit harsh on a ruckman who at the time was playing game 31. Gardner was worse in the drawn game. If the Saints had a competent ruck, they might have won the game.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:19 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ They'd think they were morons to trade Crisp and the De Goey pick out in order to get Beams. Mind you, that didn't take hindsight - Collingwood's best-ever trade deal, bar none.

Well as I recall, we were more or less held to ransom at gunpoint, whilst bent over a barrel.

Beams never leaves, the JDG pick never arrives, thus he gets drafted by a then bottom 6 shitkicker club, and might never have got the success or benefits he did/does at the Pies.

Crisp would have kicked on at Bears for sure; he was simply too talented not to.
Whether he would have remained up there is purely hypothetical.

Either way, these players never arrive at Collingwood, and we haven't played in a Grand Final since 2011.

Whose laughing now?

I know I am; and my ribs hurt, and I love it.

They may have extracted some measure of pay back in late 2018 at trade time; we played our hand and lost two first rounders for no return.

If Beams and Wells were fit enough late 2019, we would have taken Bitchmond down again.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:10 pm

Max Gawn ?
K 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:35 pm

piedys wrote:
Well as I recall, we were more or less held to ransom at gunpoint, whilst bent over a barrel.

Sheesh, Dyso. This sounds like it could describe many of our list management decisions. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: