Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Since when did our colours change to Rainbow?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who's curious, the rainbow (initially a gay and lesbian symbol) + the other colours is a new pride flag that's further inclusive of transgender people (blue, pink and white) and queer people of colour (brown and sometimes also black). Variants of this have been appearing a lot in recent years – on Australia Post mailboxes, for instance: https://www.starobserver.com.au/news/rainbow-street-post-boxes-pop-up-in-sydney-perth/201267

You can read more about the history of this particular flag here: https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/the-progress-pride-flag

Pete 70 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:58 pm

In some countries you get killed for being yourself. Anyone here intellectually decide who they were attracted to? Really the absurdity of the extreme religious overlay in society. And I was raised an Irish Catholic and still have a sense of faith, and I have a beautiful, gentle teenager who is gay. So I have seen what subtle discrimination is. And it’s horrible. It’s 2023, and no male player has come out. Imagine being told you are wrong for just being yourself. I think what we did falls under the heading of leadership.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:48 pm

^ very well said, Pete.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:54 pm

Excellent post Pete 70 and you have summarised the entire issue in a nutshell. However I find that irrespective of how progressive society has become, there will always be some with views that can be considered going against the grain. To me that is okay as long as they don’t behave in a threatening manner or engage in unacceptable conduct towards others who do not share their beliefs or values. I advocated for years for clients with intellectual disabilities or acquired brain injuries who some people ostracised or actively disliked or bullied because of the way they presented. It may be 2023 but it could be 2123 and if the planet survives, so will people with awful attitudes that do not accept others who are different to them. In other words they don’t read the room! However as long as they live and let live, I don’t have a problem with that.
Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:08 pm

I think it’d be great if Collingwood had a statement on its website that the club opposes all forms of discrimination and supports the right of people to live their lives in freedom.

The so-called rainbow flag is, however, associated with far wider meanings than that. It’s a progressive Left-wing political symbol associated with a cluster of ideologies. For example, using the issue of the day, try and find someone who adores that flag who thinks Israel has a right to exist. Corporates only like it because they are on board with pseudo-righteous pseudo-Left-wing crap as long as the virtue does not extend to paying more taxes or wage equity. It’s a giant distraction to them.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:53 pm

The notion that this flag is in any way associated with anti-Zionism or other unrelated left-wing causes is entirely in the imagination of you and others who are making those assertions, I'd say – and I dare say it would particularly be news to the sizeable LGBT rights lobby in Israel (see, for instance: https://theconversation.com/israeli-protesters-fear-for-the-future-of-their-countrys-precarious-lgbtq-rights-revolution-205915), let alone many Democratic Party voters over in the US who are pro-Israel and pro-LGBT rights.

I think most people are capable of understanding separate issues and that a pride flag is what it represents, which is rights, freedom and dignity for queer and gender-diverse people – no more and no less. Anyone who wants to lobby for recognition on other issues is free to do that, but I doubt that most people complaining about this genuinely feel that any particular cause is being unfairly overlooked; they just don't like the pride symbol being there at all.

Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:14 pm

It is clearly a progressive Left banner. Anyone who thinks it is not, doesn’t want to see how it is used and by whom. Lots of gay people I know despise the way gay people have been conscripted with the other groups in this flag. The fact that Israel, as a thriving democracy, has its own pink hair trendies who like it does not invalidate the fact that its a logo representing the unholy alliance between big business and student union politics.

It’s the symbol for a certain related set of political beliefs, which the statement I suggested above would *not* be.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:26 pm

Meredith1965 wrote:
...try and find someone who adores that flag who thinks Israel has a right to exist.

For a start, my whole family and me (though "adore" may be a little strong).
Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:32 pm

^ Congratulations. Welcome to a small minority. You know the point I am making. It is strongly associated with a certain cluster of political attitudes. Does the rainbow extend to embracing and welcoming political views that its celebrants do not like ? There is not much evidence of it.

Anyway, enough of this on a football site. It is what it is. I support Collingwood, the jumper, the magpie flag, our history and the club. The club management and corporate elites can push whatever dead-end so-called “progressive” politics they like at us. That will pass as the busybodying and contradictions of it become more evident each year. It does not change what’s important and actually unifying about Collingwood.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:53 pm

Pete 70 wrote:
In some countries you get killed for being yourself. ... I think what we did falls under the heading of leadership.

Did you know that there's a country where homosexuality is illegal, where women are oppressed and minorities are treated horribly. Doesn't sound like a very "inclusive" place does it?
What's the name of that country? It's the United Arab Emirates, as in "Emirates", Collingwood's Premier Partner.
Leadership would be cutting ties with an airline wholly owned by the government of Dubai.
Corporate hypocrisy is waving the rainbow flag whilst cosying up to a regime that jails and tortures gay people.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:51 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Pete 70 wrote:
In some countries you get killed for being yourself. ... I think what we did falls under the heading of leadership.

Did you know that there's a country where homosexuality is illegal, where women are oppressed and minorities are treated horribly. Doesn't sound like a very "inclusive" place does it?
What's the name of that country? It's the United Arab Emirates, as in "Emirates", Collingwood's Premier Partner.
Leadership would be cutting ties with an airline wholly owned by the government of Dubai.
Corporate hypocrisy is waving the rainbow flag whilst cosying up to a regime that jails and tortures gay people.

Yeah great point.
They { the club }supports gays yet they support the bucket load of money even more.
Personally I dont care if we have Emirates as a key sponsor or not.
I just think that when you start to dabble in politics you will get burnt.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:34 pm

I wish we’d change them permanently, it might shut Port Adelaide up
lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:34 pm

I just want to see the club get behind Australia Day (again). A bit hard when they’re constantly jumping from one cause to another!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:39 pm

What did we used to do for Australia Day? Hold an open training session?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:19 pm

^ We have NEVER lost a Grand Final on Australia Day - it's one of Collingwood's proudest traditions.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: