Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Since when did our colours change to Rainbow?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

<snip - not appropriate for Nick's - the mods team>
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:14 am

Do you think the colours make religious muslims, orthodox jews, traditionally-minded africans and asians feel included and welcome?
Is the club saying to conservative immigrant communities, people from traditional religious and cultural backgrounds, that Collingwood is not the place for them?

Does Collingwood have a migrant problem?
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:30 am

^
If you take the time to read the Club Vision statement it'll answer all of those questions.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:32 pm

I read it. It didn't.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:17 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Is the club saying to conservative immigrant communities, people from traditional religious and cultural backgrounds, that Collingwood is not the place for them?

Yep, the Club is saying to everyone that if you have a problem sharing our space with the LGBTQI+ community, then this is not a place for you.

Similarly, other statements say that anyone who has a problem sharing our space people of all faiths and ethnic backgrounds, this is not the place for you either.
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:05 pm

Some people have misunderstood the premise of my original question. I should have qualified that in the week the AFL celebrates and shows support for the LGBT community, sure... I have no problem with the club doing their own initiatives like the one we are discussing.
It's the indefinite nature of this that I think is not appropriate. Are we forever now going to have the rainbow colours on our website? Where is the line? Should we also wear shorts with the LGBTQ logo going forward?
On the face of it you could be forgiven for thinking that our club has chosen to champion the LGBTQ cause above other social and political causes. Some clarity by the club in this would be good. To be honest I don't even know what that strip of colours on the website means, I'm just assuming it's LGBTQ related. As a poster mentioned above why not also put up on our website the Syrian flag, the Ukraine flag, the Aboriginal flag, any other emblem that represents a certain group with a just cause. How about a Movember moustache on our logo to support men's health issues?
Our brand/logo is important and it doesn't need to include permanent representations of specific groups or causes, some of which can be divisive in terms of public opinion.
Good point above by Phil about this example having the potential to put off-side religious groups of all faiths. Are we happy with that? This club's roots do in fact have a Catholic Christian identity. Just something else to throw into the mix.
I think the AFL learnt a lesson when they dropped being a vehicle to promote the VOICE. Keep politics out of footy. There are plenty of other platforms to discuss politicall/social causes and agendas.
Keep it simple Pies. We are the people's club, we don't discriminate,, we are all inclusive, and we're side-by-side. That's enough.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:19 pm

^^^^^^
From above
This club's roots do in fact have a Catholic Christian identity.
Absolutely we were the Catholic Club.
People don't realize the the absolute hatred and loathing between the protestants and catholics in Australia prior to the 1950's.
My father who grew up in Preston ( which was commonly called Irish town) had to fight his way pass the Protestant school every day.
So we should have the picture of the Pope on the website so it reflects our heritage and our kill for collingwood philosophy which was really smash the protestants and their footy clubs.
Seriously We dont need other logos or images and other paraphernalia on our jumper or website.
Just plain old collingwood stuff will do.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:51 am

You speak too much sense bally, that kind of behaviour is now frowned upon and will see you labeled a; racist, bigot or facist... it's a strange new world.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:41 am

bally12 wrote:
Some people have misunderstood the premise of my original question. I should have qualified that in the week the AFL celebrates and shows support for the LGBT community, sure... I have no problem with the club doing their own initiatives like the one we are discussing.
It's the indefinite nature of this that I think is not appropriate. Are we forever now going to have the rainbow colours on our website? Where is the line? Should we also wear shorts with the LGBTQ logo going forward?
On the face of it you could be forgiven for thinking that our club has chosen to champion the LGBTQ cause above other social and political causes. Some clarity by the club in this would be good. To be honest I don't even know what that strip of colours on the website means, I'm just assuming it's LGBTQ related. As a poster mentioned above why not also put up on our website the Syrian flag, the Ukraine flag, the Aboriginal flag, any other emblem that represents a certain group with a just cause. How about a Movember moustache on our logo to support men's health issues?
Our brand/logo is important and it doesn't need to include permanent representations of specific groups or causes, some of which can be divisive in terms of public opinion.

I was almost kind of with you until this bit. I think in this context, it really isn't important. I assume that in all our other logos on letterheads, club headquarters, players' attire, etc., the rainbow isn't present. And I can agree that it might be a bit much if it was, as a permanent fixture. But this is merely a header image on our website – no more and no less than that. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I literally haven't seen it anywhere else or in any other context.

On that note, to see if I was right about the above, I clicked through to the official Collingwood shop page (https://shop.collingwoodfc.com.au/), and what should I find at the top of our page, horror of horrors? Our logo, except the magpie is wearing a Santa hat.

So apparently we're now supporting not only the LGBT community, but also consumerism and religious-themed holidays. When will this woke agenda end? Shocked

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:54 am

Sometimes you do wonder if people have ever left the house, let alone had jobs before.

"Just calling to get your approval before carrying out an everyday aspect of my role in the club's marketing and comms team, having been hired for the 12 years' experience I have had in the field at three major organisations. And while this show of support for the LGBT community was agreed upon by our team and signed off by our comms director as part of our comms planning process back in September, I do realise that few people know more about the world than you. So, before drawing on my own experience and that of my team, and implementing our comms plan as scheduled and agreed, we thought it only right to canvass your opinion first, even though surprisingly you were not even considered for this role."

Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:07 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ So, the Club voluntarily puts a rainbow on its web-site and you're looking for "budding totalitarians"? Facile drivel.

No, it’s certainly not facile drivel. You just disagree.

Totalitarianism has many features, but one of them is the insertion of ideological symbols into every sphere of life in attempt to make dissent very difficult. From North Korea to Soviet Russia, to Iran, it’s a key indicator. Everyone must be made to assent to the premises of the regime, everywhere, all the time. Orwell, Kundera, Solzhenitsyn, etc. They all knew it. Your fatuous, lofty dismissal says nothing meaningful about that fact.

I don’t much care if they make that our other flag. Collingwood has been a corporation run by suits for years, and there are thousands of people who seemingly want it that way. Those of us who love the football club know that its corporate kowtows are not what makes our hearts beat.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:17 am

Some of you can draw a longbow that would have been admired at Agincourt. Seriously...
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:49 am

^ It's actually the beginning of the end of civilization. Before you know where we are, 17 teams will be abolished and there will only be Carlton. Thin end of the wedge and all that. Laughing
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:35 am

^^^^

Absolutely right WhyPhilWhy.
A few here are just not reading the room 🙄 Most.of the clubs are progressive and the conservatives, who obviously have the right to their opinions, need to live and let live. Collingwood is represented by and involves a wide variety of people from all walks of life. You may not like certain facets of their involvement but one needs to get over it and move on. It’s like if you don’t like a TV show, change the channel or turn it off but don’t then try to prevent others from watching it.
Collingwood having rainbow colours on the website doesn’t worry me in the least although I’m not of the persuation that it represents. I think I would most definitely act if the site had a Nazi symbol or flag that says something far more serious and impactful than a rainbow flag. To each their own and I would react to each situation with a different perspective.

gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:05 pm

All the original post is asking is why is there a multi coloured stripe under the word Collingwood on our front web page. I won't call it a rainbow stripe as a rainbow has 7 colours and this has ten.

There is no text or explanation of what it is. Is it some shout out to lgbtqia+..., or just filling in the space nicely.

If it is the a lgbtqia+ reference, the original post is pointing out that there are 100s of causes out there in the world - has Collingwood just picked this one?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: