Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nineteenth Hole

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
Laurie, as I've missed a lot of years of golf, means I've missed on many changes. I'm still getting used to leaving the stick in when putting on the green!!

What I can't understand is the hybrid clubs, I'm using a 3-4 hybrid, I love it, but to me it's the same as an old 3 wood. Could you enlighten me on hybrids?

Hybrids are more forgiving than an iron, hence once you get the hang of them, they're better for higher handicappers. (more forgiving with a larger sweet spot)
Hybrids launch the ball higher than an equivalent iron and with more spin than what you get with a fairway wood. Spin helps a ball grab the green.
I tend to see golfers try out hybrids but rarely hit them the way they should and soon go back to their irons. A hybrid requires more of a sweeping swing than your traditional irons, which need more compression.

FWIW, a good deal of ball strike improvement can be achieved from the correct address. As a basic rule, from driver to your wedges all need considerably different ball positioning to get reliable strikes.

The majority of clubs used by golfers when struck won't be true to the number they have on the sole. e.g. a player in your group might hit a hard 6 iron and you might hit an easy 5 iron. For those on an ego trip, hitting a hard 6 iron in might please some, but golf like all sport is a game of tempo. I see a lot of golfer's de-loft their irons by not having the correct address. e.g. leaning the shaft forward. We all do it.

Using a fairway wood to approach a green isn't what I'd recommend for most, unless they're playing for the front of a green and might get some luck and it rolls onto the green. Fairway woods are hard to master, and I find the majority of golfers have the same set-up and swing for an iron as they do a fairway wood and hybrid.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:52 am

A lady finishes her round, and as she walks to the clubhouse, the pro asks her how she did.

“Not bad, but I got stung by a bee.”

“Where did it sting you?”

“Between the first and second hole.”

The pro pauses and says, “Sounds like your stance is too wide.”

Norm Macdonald

LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:18 am
Post subject: GolfReply with quote

These are a few extracts from a golf book my grandfather used in the 50's through his playing days. He was a scratch golfer / Club champ and part of our old farm was donated to create holes for the current layout of the Trafalgar Golf Club.
https://www.trafalgargolf.com.au/the-club/history/

Take note of these ball / feet placements. Your ball striking will improve, something I can guarantee.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:48 pm

Heading away next week to Yarrawonga for a Hacks Golf Weekend. Black Bull and the Mulwala Clubs are locked in.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:54 pm

^

You should try out Tocumwal and Barooga, 2 mature 36 hole courses. Toc is fkn long, back to back par 5's on one 9, both over 500m long.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:30 am

^^Thats a few drinks in the cart. Shocked Laughing Laughing
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:27 am

^ Agree on Tocumwal and Barooga Stui. Was our go to golf trip back in the '90's when I live in Melbourne. Fond memories of those weekends.

Our course is undergoing green renovations, so the Clubs are away, and I've been sharpening up on the bowling green.
If you haven't given bowls a crack, I can thoroughly recommend the game. A lot of characteristics you need for putting can be translated between the two.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:38 pm

back from 9 holes at Royal Bundoora. 56 off the stick. Despite that, I can feel improvement.

Driver worked probably 50% which is a lot better than it used to be, more consistent with the hybrids and irons, putting and chipping let me down today. A few holes I was in a position to be looking at a birdie and ended up double bogie. 2 shots to get out of a bunker on the last didn't help either.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:16 pm

Looking at a birdie, ended up with a double bogie ….. not that there’s anything wrong with that Jerry!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:05 pm

Culprit wrote:
^^Thats a few drinks in the cart. Shocked Laughing Laughing

Up in Toc they have a thing where you can order drinks (booze) and snacks over the phone while on course and pick them up as you swing past the pro shop after the first 9. booze comes in a mini esky with ice.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:22 pm

stui magpie wrote:
back from 9 holes at Royal Bundoora. 56 off the stick. Despite that, I can feel improvement.

Driver worked probably 50% which is a lot better than it used to be, more consistent with the hybrids and irons, putting and chipping let me down today. A few holes I was in a position to be looking at a birdie and ended up double bogie. 2 shots to get out of a bunker on the last didn't help either.

Sounds like Adam Scott yesterday, hell of a round and blows it with one triple bogey which cost him a shot at the play off.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:13 pm

There are a lot of courses that now run around with a cart and a trailer thing with food and drinks. It's very smart as every group buys something. Mind you we start with a few cans and I play better, must be more relaxed. Shocked Laughing Laughing

The forecast for Yarawonga on Saturday is 30. Sounds perfect for golf and drinks.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:21 pm

Being relaxed definitely helps. I went back out today for 9 holes. Booked online for 11:18 then had a brainwave, rang the club and asked if I came early could I sneak onto the back 9 before the first group of the day got there. No problems, so off I go.

Unfortunately I had to rush as coming into the carpark I see the mob on the 8th tee. So hauled arse to get ready to tee off which triggered an anxiety reaction. Played like a busted arse for the first 4 until I settled myself down, and got things working.

Driver still erratic but irons and putter were working nicely. Punched a 3 wood onto the wrong fairway then put an 8 iron over trees onto the green. Very Happy

Got to practice more and figure out my distance with different clubs. Par 3 167m, took the hybrid 4 off the tee as figured I'd leave a 5 iron short then sailed the H4 straight over the green, plugged 15m back from the hole.

So mixed up round but 51 off the stick. I feel a 40 something coming soon.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:11 pm

Played 9 at Churchill Park this arvo. I was on fire with 3 pars and a birdie (par 3) but finished on 51. The birdie will keep me going back. I will forget 2 holes.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:21 am

If you need a new putter, the colour visuals on the Odyssey White Hot Versa Seven Putter might appeal...

https://www.golfmonthly.com/reviews/putters/odyssey-white-hot-versa-12-s-putter-review

As an aside, I roll with Collingwood lawn bowls ~

https://henselite.com/product/collingwood-football-club-afl-bowls/

They have released a Premiership stamped edition.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9   

Jump to: