Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welcome to Collingwood #13 Harry DeMattia

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpie Russ Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My son's assessment

Bailey Smith
Height: 185cm
Weight: 79kg (83 by some accounts)

STRENGTHS
• Endurance
• Contested ball-winning
• Kicking
• Leadership
• Attitude
• Versatility

Harry DeMattia
Height 185cm
Weight 78kg (as heavy as 84 by some accounts)

STRENGTHS
• Competitiveness

• Kick penetration

• Leadership

• Speed

• Tackling

• Versatility

The main distinction and where Bailey Smith might have a slight edge is pure ball winning, where Smith found much more of the ball as a junior and also potentially class.

But that’s why Bailey Smith went Pick 7 and DeMattia Pick 25.

But they play the same way and DeMattia has scope to be like Smith.

If there is a class difference then HDM has as much chance (if not more) of justifying Pick 25 as Smith has of Pick 7.

Cf Smith draft highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5gOKtCmIVw
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:44 pm

His “highlights” don’t fill me with much confidence!

But WTF would I know! Hopefully he comes good and learns how to bounce a footy and not kick helicopters 😬

Boot 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:07 pm

Harry Demattia reminds me a bit of that Collingwood premiership hero from 2010 Ben Johnson. Speedy, left footer and determined tackler. Speed is good and has clear leadership traits. A faster upgrade on Trent Bianco?
In Hine we trust and I'll be interested to see what Hine specials are drafted by the Pies tonight.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:21 pm

I always get a bit frustrated when I read the pre judgements ( especially the knocks) on any new draftee. At pick 25, you will always come with areas that require significant improvement. Good recruiting understands what areas can be fast tracked versus those that will prove more difficult. The club obviously believes a number of his shortfalls can be improved, while also understanding some limitations will likely remain throughout his career. That’s ok, Pendlebury was never quick by foot and Harvey was long considered too short to make it.

Whether we agree or not, the club obviously identified speed around the ball as a priority ( as per their supposed trade targets and the bid on Swans academy player, Cleary ) Given that was their focus, then DeMattia was seen as the next best to fill that need. He comes into one of the best development programs in the competition, so he lacks for nothing and now it’s over to you, Harry. As for us supporters, let’s just keep an open mind and allow the kid some time to develop into the best player he can be at AFL level.
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:27 pm

Boot wrote:
Harry Demattia reminds me a bit of that Collingwood premiership hero from 2010 Ben Johnson..

I think a perfect comparison. Love it.

Harry looks a far better kick, lol
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:35 pm

There are football skills sure and there are also character skill also and whilst Craig must embrace skills he definitely rates character and family strength even more so.
He said to Harry on his phone call to be with his family and celebrate together

Skills. Well Crisp was let go cos his previous club saw little skills in him

Let’s all put no huge expectation on the kid and let the skills of our coaching staff take him to where he can be—a winner

Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:41 pm

Charlie Oneeye wrote:

I think a perfect comparison. Love it.

Harry looks a far better kick, lol

Bit bigger too, but lacks a flag like Benny, we'll have to get onto that.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:04 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
I always get a bit frustrated when I read the pre judgements ( especially the knocks) on any new draftee. At pick 25, you will always come with areas that require significant improvement. Good recruiting understands what areas can be fast tracked versus those that will prove more difficult. The club obviously believes a number of his shortfalls can be improved, while also understanding some limitations will likely remain throughout his career. That’s ok, Pendlebury was never quick by foot and Harvey was long considered too short to make it.

Whether we agree or not, the club obviously identified speed around the ball as a priority ( as per their supposed trade targets and the bid on Swans academy player, Cleary ) Given that was their focus, then DeMattia was seen as the next best to fill that need. He comes into one of the best development programs in the competition, so he lacks for nothing and now it’s over to you, Harry. As for us supporters, let’s just keep an open mind and allow the kid some time to develop into the best player he can be at AFL level.

i agree

as for this one, he certainly has speed, bloody good 0-10 sec too! so much enthusiasm, apparently really invested in the game, ill take it!

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:09 pm

Tears flow in ‘emotional’ scenes; wild Pies coincidence

It was a full blown party at Dandenong Stingrays prospect Harry DeMattia’s home even before he’d been taken by Collingwood with Pick 25, with some in the room dressed in black and white ... coincidence?

Those Pies supporters are really just everywhere!

It meant the room further exploded when DeMattia’s name was read out in joyous images. “Some Collingwood jumpers there too, so that’s handy,” Fox Footy’s Sarah Jones observed. Moments later, DeMattia was already wearing a loved one’s Collingwood jumper when he was interviewed by Fox Footy, revealing he was surrounded by a few fans of the recent premiers.

Of course, these were just the main highlights. For every draftee that was taken had their own special moment on such a momentous occasion for all 29 young men. Many more will live out their dream Tuesday night.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/draft/afl-draft-2023-best-reactions-from-draftees-highlights-video-family-and-friends-phoenix-gothard-nick-watson-tears-up-caleb-windsors-mum-harry-demattia-collingwood-fans/news-story/c3d8a7b47f298f0ec60249fe0d35d3a5

Video @ 4:06: Harry DeMattia had some Collingwood fans in the room with him when he was drafted.

https://foxsportspmd-a.akamaihd.net/free/nogeoblock/2023/11/21/DVU_211123_AFL_DRAFT_REAX_VID_202311211229/DVU_211123_AFL_DRAFT_REAX_VID_202311211229_2628.mp4

The Age:
What DeMattia said: “I feel like I’m in a dream … so grateful for the opportunity … can’t wait to get stuck into it,” DeMattia told Fox Footy. He was already dressed in a Collingwood jumper for his TV interview – courtesy of some Pies supporters in the room watching the draft with him.

“I want to be a part of going back-to-back.”

'Absolutely surreal': Harry DeMattia speaks after being Drafted to Collingwood
Collingwood's newest Draftee Harry DeMattia and his parents speak after joining the Club at Pick 25 in the 2023 National Draft (NB. parents like the way Collingwood play, they are beaming with joy).

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1467577/absolutely-surreal-harry-demattia-speaks-after-being-drafted-to-collingwood?videoId=1467577&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1700532726001

❤️️

Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:23 pm

Back -to-back. What does Harry know that we don’t???

🎶Where just wild about Harry
And Harry’s wild about us🎶

Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:12 pm

Some harsh judges here. I really like the selection. Speed, tackles hard, can hit a target clearly (described as having 'elite' disposal). You've got to remember we've got the best coach in it, a crackerjack development team, and not to mention Pendles, Maynard, Sidebottom, Daicosx2 and the likes tweaking/improving his game and game day roles.
Better watch this space, I reckon.

DT 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:44 pm

Speaks like a coach. Phenomenal. If he can play will be superb
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:12 pm

Podpicken wrote:
Some harsh judges here. I really like the selection. Speed, tackles hard, can hit a target clearly (described as having 'elite' disposal). You've got to remember we've got the best coach in it, a crackerjack development team, and not to mention Pendles, Maynard, Sidebottom, Daicosx2 and the likes tweaking/improving his game and game day roles.
Better watch this space, I reckon.

Though a Knock on him is his Composure

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:12 pm

Nice little pre-draft article which points toward his composure and leadership.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/he-was-on-edge-and-agitated-the-batting-advice-draft-hopeful-gave-test-opener-will-pucovksi-20231027-p5efnm.html

Quote:
Most teenagers opening the batting with Will Pucovski in Premier Cricket would be happy just to be gracing the field with a Test player let alone feel the need to give advice — but not gun young cricketer turned AFL draft prospect Harry DeMattia.

The pair were opening the batting for Melbourne in Pucovski’s eagerly awaited comeback to competitive cricket in January last year. Twelve months earlier, Pucovski made his only appearance to date in the baggy green.

Undaunted by his more experienced and accomplished teammate, DeMattia played the role more befitting a seasoned pro than a 16-year-old in only his second game of first grade, calming down Pucovski, who was returning from a shoulder reconstruction and another head knock.

“He was a bit on edge and agitated,” DeMattia said. “I told him to just breathe and focus on the next ball and stay in the present. Between balls and after overs we’d talk about cricket and completely different stuff other than cricket to try and get his mind off it and have a laugh.

“He said he was very happy and grateful I did that.”

Anyone familiar with the work of cricket satirists The Grade Cricketer or the supposed pecking order in a cricket dressing room would appreciate how DeMattia’s actions had the potential to upset the status quo. In this world, baggy green No.460 is the alpha male, and a kid with DeMattia’s lack of experience a part of the pack.

What this anecdote does reveal about him is an emotional intellect beyond his precious years to recognise a teammate’s vulnerability, the confidence to speak up and address it, and the empathy to deliver in a manner receptive to a senior peer.

They are traits that will hold DeMattia in good stead in this year’s draft, so too the lessons he learned being part of a high-performance program in another code.

He also outscored Pukovski on the day, 48 not out off 61 balls to 40 off 68.

At the risk of doing a P4S, this kid is a potential future captain.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:18 pm

Sounds he could come a Defensive Player/Tagger type
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: