Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What happened tonight?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grims 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:48 pm
Post subject: What happened tonight?Reply with quote

Does anyone think that the Collingwood we saw tonight was not the Collingwood we have been seeing the last three weeks of the wizard cup. This is more like what we were use to when we finished bottom of the ladder. The class that collingwood had about them all pre season seemed to dissapear tonight. Not taking anything away from Adelaide because they played really well. Hopefully tonights effort is not what we are gonna see throughout this year.
serendipity 

The Road to Glory.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unable to view the match tonight (thanx ch9) but recieved an excellent commentary from Nicks chat room. I am, as I`m sure we all are, extremely disappointed with the way the guys played tonight. I dont want to start any "bun fights" or start "bagging" any of CFC management staff or players as I have the highest regards for them all, and am comfortable with the way the club is progressing. However, having said that, it is of MY opinion that we are lagging badly in the area of a good ruckman ( no rocket science there). A lot has already been said on this bulletin board and in the media, about the capabilities of our present ruckmen, and, a lot was said pre season 2003. Our ruckmen, are not ruckmen, they are very talented in other area`s of play, to their credit. The way I see it though, is that "our strength is only as good as our biggest weakness", and that, I think is in our Rucking capabilities. Every player does have "off" days, as so too. "brilliant" days, but I think this is a problem that should have been attended too before season 2003 began.
Yes, I know a lot of fans consider the wizard cup a practice match, but practice matches are supposed to allow the coaching staff to see how their players are preforming before the "real thing" begins, and, as I see it, we have a weakness in this area.
nitric 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:23 pm

It really doesn't matter what you see "through the year".

The AFL only hands out prizes for 2 games for the whole year.

This was one.
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:11 am

A team is only as good as its opposition allows them to be. We beat three very ordinary sides in the first 3 weeks ... not one of whom is likely to trouble the scorers come September. We looked pretty good in bursts. But it was very patchy stuff. Good enough to beat crap sides like Carlton, Hawthorn and Geelong ... but when faced with a genuine contender this week, we found it much harder to put on the sort of clinic that we enjoyed in the first 3 weeks.

Even so, I reckon we rose to the occasion. We should have been a lot closer at half-time than we were because of some absolute howlers from the blind-mice-in-orange. Didak's free that didn't get paid in the 1st quarter ... and that abominable free kick against Stunning Steve that resulted in a goal. These were outrageous decisions that cost us dearly.

Then it was just poor finishing that stopped us from pegging the crows back in the 3rd.

Despite all these negatives, we were still able to mount a serious challenge early in the last. And it took a lucky snap from Mr.Adultery, against the run of play to break the momentum. Then an extremely dubious goal right on the goal line, which the Crows player who claimed to have kicked it had to virtually beg for. I'm sure the goal umpire was intimidated into paying that goal ... much like an overly aggressive derro can sometimes intimidate you into giving him a couple of dollars for "the train to Ballarat".

Put it this way ... it's a pity the game was played in Melbourne. Had it been played at Football Park I doubt if the AFL would have felt it so necessary to give the Crows an armchair ride with the Orangutangs.

I'm not saying the umps cost us the game ... Not at all.

The match was most certainly rigged ... but I think the Crows might have still won even if it hadn't been rigged.

But I am saying that even though we played well below our best ... and even though we were crucified by the whistlers ... and even though we had absolutely no luck whatsoever ... we still weren't all that far from beating the Crows ... who are most certainly going to be one of the genuine contenders this season.

So ... don't despair. It WILL get better.

I'm not confident about the first couple of rounds. We'll be seriously weakened by suspensions to key players. I think Richmond has been virtually handed the points for round one by the Tribunal.

But don't worry ... we started poorly last year. A lot more poorly than we've started this year.

It's all good ... Trust the process.
Hiya-and-Higher 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:52 am
Post subject: ClimbingReply with quote

3 years ago we were bottom 4
2 years ago we were middle
Last year we were top 2
This year we got to a preseason GF
We are not the best side yet.
We are not awesome yet.
We are POTENTIALLY the best side, but we still have a few positions we need to drill.
We have the season to do it.
We'll win more than we lose.
There are other teams that have strengths where we have weaknesses, but the gap is closing.
Those teams that beat us not only have good players, but they have good players with 150+ game experience.
Our stars are will get to that point in the next 2 to 3 years...by that time...the current stars of the teams that beat us will be on the wane.
Our time is at hand.
We just have to keep getting better.
We know we can.
We have the room to improve.
Others haven't.
The time to peak will be September!
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:27 am

other than a query as to why bucks spent the first 16 minutes of the 2nd Q on the bench while the crows polaxed us, adelaide were better. end of story. of more concern is tarrant likely to be suspended, presti and fraser in doubt with ankle injuries. could possibly be without cloke, burns, licuria, presti, tarrant, fraser and woewodin for Rd 1 Vs Richmond. im thinking of turning up with my boots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: