Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Time to get #42 back on the field

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpie 42 Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never responded to any issues on any topics before but this one has caused upset!!

I am saddened that this decision has been made, and like others hope it has been made in consultation with the Millane family.

I too believed the jumper would be retired forever, as a tribute to the great clubman and player Darren was.

I know I personally will find it hard to watch another run out in the 42 jumper and will be saddened by it.

© Magpie 42 2006
woe_is_me Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:56 am

Some people should lighten up.

Darren Millane was a very good player (maybe even great) who was killed tragically. He was my favourite player at the time and I won't forget how he used to play.

But how many players of drafting age (ie 17-18 year olds) would actually even remember him or that his number was retired???

If I am not wrong, our guernsey numbers were only going from 1-38 (for listed players) anyway, so effectively all numbers above 38 were retired so the significance was diminished.

By having our number one recruit every year wearing the number 42 the significance of the number will live on and not be consigned to the memory of only the people who were old enough to see Pants play.
AB35 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:08 am

Future generations of Magpie supporters probably won't know very much about the great Darren Millane nor feel the same emotional attachment as those who experienced the tradgedy at the time.

But this idea will help perpetuate the memory of Darren Millane in years to come. Let's fantasize for moment...year 2020, you're Collingwood's no 1. draft pick (also happen to be a lifelong Collingwood supporter), you've been given the opportunity of wearing the famous no. 42 in your first year - what a buzz that would be! It would make you want to find out more about the great DM.

Given that lists only go to about 38 deep these days, I can't see anyone being allocated the no. 42 in future under normal circumstances. Retire the number forever and it will most likely fade into obscurity.

So I'm in favour of the idea, providing it has the support of the Millane family.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:12 am

Darren Millane's family approve of it so his memory continues then I have no problem with that.

If somethings not done the next generation will be saying Darren who?

I put the question, what would Darren Millane want?

To my view knowing what a great club man he was he would gladly have it worn again.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:12 am

have a look at this last season, with the passing of Bobby, a club legend and a champion bloke, who a lot of us never got to see play a game and barely any footage of him playing, but now every time I see #22 I think of him and how it was his number and hope that who ever is wearing it can live upto it, who didn't get goodebumps when shaw kicked that goal with BR on his jumper?

can you imagine the thrill when 42 kicks a goal? but the point is when our kids grow up and ask "why do they give 42 to some one new each year?" we will be able to tell them about this great champion who knew no fear, who had courage by the bucket full, had silky skills and loved that very jumper, otherwise in two or three generations no-one will know anything of 42 exept a dusty old locker.

nah Pant's deserves better than being consigned to a dusty old locker and the fading memories of an ever diminishing legion of fans. it gives me a good feeling to know that in a hundred years from now, when we're all gone to dust that number 42 will still be running around, and it won't just be another number it will have meaning.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:18 am

Well said, MM.

Hit the nail on the head.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:52 am

isn't there an award that the club gives to the best clubman at the copeland trophy called the Darren Millane award?. So the legend of Milane will continue thru this award and the wearing of no:45. Not sure what i really meant by this post,so please read it and then move onto another that makes more sense Very Happy
*'94-03:10 Gr8 yrs*
*169 Games* *'02 V.C*
*2nd in '01 copeland
Stunning Steve McKee Libra

Clearances not Hit Outs are the Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:48 pm

At first I was unhappy & I thought it was disrespectful but, I believe the Millane family is happy for this to be done.

For people my age (or older) it's easy to remember Pants, but current kids have no memory of the great man.

Perhaps the symbolic nature of giving our number 1 draft pick each year the number 42, will educate these youngsters of who Darren Millane was & also the consequences of drink driving.

As long as the family is content, then I am too.

Tony Shaw once said about his time at the Pies, only 2 players inspired the Collingwood supporters like no others - Millane & Daicos & I agree with him 100%.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:02 pm

Not everyone attends the Copeland and most only take note of who wins the copeland not the other awards.

You don't hear them say 4 times winner of the Millane Award.

MM says it pretty well.
ScottyMac Libra

Pride, Passion, Commitment, COLLINGWOOD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:40 pm

Bloody big shoes to fill... Anybody who watched or has watched that 90 Grand Final and finals before that will just see the importance and greatness of the champion Millane.

Not too sure about bringing it out of retirement... If I remember correctly the Jumper was burried with the great man... thereforre it should be his and Nobody elses.

But as many of you have said it really is up to his family to decide.
dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:22 pm

I CANNOT beleive some of the tripe that I am reading in this thread!! I fully support this iniative and beleive that it is in the best interests oif the club and the Millane name. I cannot see a negative in it.

Firstly, I have a feeling that all of those who have requested a members vote on this issue (and a number of other issues) must work for the government. Thats micro management at its worst. You have had a vote to elect the board and by doing that you have given the members of the board the power to make these type of decisions. If you don t like the decisions that they make, vote them out!! I will be buggered if I have to go down to the club on a weekly basis to vote on issues such as the color of our water bottles or what brand of soap that put in the showers!!

Secondly. Eddie was a very, very good freind of Darren Millane and there is NO WAY that I could see him doing anything to disrespect him, as no 100% collingwood person ever would. I am absolutely positive that this decision was made after very careful and considered thought consulting the Millane family, Club 42, the players and anyone else that it is relevant to. If there was any sort of misgivings by ANY of the involved parties, I am sure that it wouldnt have happened.

The Darren Millane award is voted on by the players and therefore many players hold the award more dearly than any other the club gives out. Therefore I would suggest that they would all be very supportive of the concept.

Could you imagine the sense of pride you would have, as our #1 draft selection, to be issued the # 42??? I would make a right royal mess of my pants if it happened to me - what a phenomenal honour to bestow onto someone. Like others have said, it will re-ignite the memories of Pants and mean that many who are too young to remember him will want to learn more about him. It will also help the kid, whoever he is, to assimilate faster into the Collingwood way. Especially if he was a supporter of any other club. It may even make them feel indebted to the club in some way and mean we lose less kmids who want to go home or leave for more money.

It may, in the future, even save the life of 1 magpie fan who learns about the consequences of drink driving. If that happens it has been worth it 10 times over.

The retirement of the number was NEVER permanent and the number was to be kept for a Millane relative who may one day wear the black and white or upon the request of the Millane family. It may be that the Millane family had asked the club to bring the number out of retirement and the club then cvame up with this idea. Did any of the people here who are against the idea think that this may have happened??? Given that no-one (I think) on this board is a Millane family member or a board member of the club, you cant speculate on who made the request or decision. The club has not announced how the decision came about so speculation on this board only fires up people and causes many people to be mis-informed.

Please people, we have entrusted the board to make these decisions and if you think they are wrong or making bad decisions get off your asses and vote them out, or get onto the board yourself and right the 'wrongs'.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:12 pm

Bones wrote:

Ed and co. are slowly voting themselves out of office.

You have got to be kidding.

Boy, don't some people have very short memories.
Sultan of spin Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:27 pm

If the decision to retire the number wasn't perminant then why did Al McAlister say the locker would be sealed forever? I don't mind people having differing opinions and that has to expected over such an emotional issue but you say not to speculate over the reasons for this decision then proceed to speculate yourself. I think the members should have been consulted whether this was through a vote or by some other means, surely there are other ways to honor his memory than this.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:41 pm

I am personally disappointed by the decision that the club has made. However the if thw Millane Family and Club 42 are happy then thats all that matters.

If the jumper was to be worn by another player it should be a player who has proved himself worthy and have the same characteristics that Millane had. Morrison may have a similar physical game style but i would have waited until he earned his stripes. The system in place means a different player wears it every year so its hard for the jumper to gain a new champion.

Lucky this policy was not implemented a few years ago or Danny Roach would have worn the jumper.

jlc

tazza2000 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:55 pm

I reckon its a great idea personally, im sure he'd rather see it out on the field then not at all.

I think it would be nice for a little DM on the jumper somewhere so that there is still some attachment to the great man
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 4 of 18   

Jump to: