Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Time to get #42 back on the field

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Oneeye ...

I expect in all likelihood this was not your intention, but you do the memory of Darren Millane a great disservice by posting stuff about his father that you acknowledge that you are not sure whether is true or not. Even if it is true, there is no need to include it here.

Then you got his number wrong.
Surely you would know it is 42.

And please don't cast this decision solely with Darren's mother. With the greatest respect, I suggest that this is up to her and her family to decide what they wish to happen, however long this might take.

Yes "life goes on" as will Darren's memory at the club; long after you, I and the rest of us have passed on. So the issue of a retired 42 will outlive us all if it is left as it is.

The black ...

The selfish terrible dumb ... decision Darren made. This tragic consequence thankfully didn't involve other people being hurt or worse. It's all there for us to see back then and to this day. Many of us will remember that he and some team mates on the channel 10 news sports desk with Eddy on the Monday after the 90 gf win. Still on a bender that went on too long. Leigh Matthews and co would have hated this. Just one example of the binge drinking culture that was prevalent at all clubs back then, not just ours. So it's not just about Darren here. Many other players of varying stripes made the same decision that he did and got away with it, to a greater or lesser degree.

This led to 42 being retired

The white...

The brilliant person Darren was and what he did for our club.
We would not have held the cup in 90 without him. Sitting in the doldrums thereafter that decade probably doesn't happen if he was still in the team, exerting his influence both on and off the field. He wasn't given a spot in the team of the century lightly.
The "do better" report to address systemic racism at the club has amongst other things brought Leon Davis and Andrew Krakouer back to the fold from their estrangement to work for a more inclusive safer, wholesome culture. Could we and should we do the same sort of thing to address the issue of binge culture? Alcohol? Other drugs? Could we go through a respectful process of something along the lines of ...Look at what happened here with Darren. Other players. Why and how could and did this happen? Could it have been prevented? How can we make sure that we are doing our best to make sure that it never happens again?

If this is done well, with the blessing of Darren Millane's family, we bring his number 42 back, perhaps to the best draftee each year, to honour his memory but just as importantly, to move on from black to white here...

I hope that happens one day, sooner rather than later.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:01 am

1. The suicide mentioned by Darrens brother in a newspaper article. Specifically stating his father was unable to cope with Darrens death.

2. EM made a statement that he promised Darrens mother he would retire the number, and would not consider bringing it back while she was still alive. Along those lines.

I have quoted information which has been made public by our Club President and the family.

For those wishing to reinstate the number, I think it would be helpful to know.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:24 am

Bob Millane's death by suicide is reported fact, but you're incorrect on the timeline, Charlie – he died in 2002, long after the number had been retired.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-10/hidden-notepad-of-collingwood-afl-star-darren-millane-found/100517970

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:32 pm

Thanks David, that was a nice read.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:30 am

The captain should wear 42.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:13 pm

Darren Millane.. The Collingwood Footballer, warrior , future captain ( IMO), legacy is honoured by the retirement of his number. Forget outside occurances, influence’s, deeds. Many a champion from any club has a dark outside life, believe me. His (Pants), legacy solely should be judge by his deeds and heroics of those lucky enough to have seen him in action.
This makes me vomit, but to see Jim Odea of Stkilda get awarded by being named in StKildas team of the Century after what he did to an out and out Superstar in our John Greening, shows that , honours bestowed to the footy field are just that ( maybe not a great analogy, as Odeas “crime” occurred on the footy field), same as Leigh Mathews against Neville Bruns. But these players still get bestowed honours.
Pants was an out and out Champion. Lion hearted, raging bull. He was a larakin and made mistakes off field, granted. Ill say it once or a thousand times.. i dont care. His memory is still very fresh in alot of diehard Pie fans. We count. His memory counts. The promise to his mother counts. His number is not a lowly sort out one. #42 IS Pants. Its a Millane decision currently. Should not even be a discussion point for at least a generation.
RIP Pants

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:34 pm

Well said Robbie.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:37 pm

skaman wrote:

Pants was an out and out Champion. Lion hearted, raging bull. He was a larakin and made mistakes off field, granted. Ill say it once or a thousand times.. i dont care. His memory is still very fresh in alot of diehard Pie fans. We count. His memory counts. The promise to his mother counts. His number is not a lowly sort out one. #42 IS Pants. Its a Millane decision currently. Should not even be a discussion point for at least a generation.
RIP Pants

This is all absolutely spot on from my point of view.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:52 pm
Post subject: Time to get #42 back on the fieldReply with quote

I know Ed promised the Millane family that the number would be retired forever, but why don’t we flip it over and give it the honour it deserves. With Nick now claiming #35 permanently let’s give #42 to our No. 1 pick each year. this would be the best way to honour it. Give the great Darren Millane a living legacy. Not a dying one. It’s time.
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:11 pm

Only with the OK of the Milane family. And the promise was made even before Eddie’s time.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:13 am

AFL footy is hard enough as it is in your first year without giving a kid a cherished footballers number.
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:43 am

Personally I'd love to see the #42 out on the field again, but also feel it would need to go to a certain type of player. For example, if Bruz had the 42 that would be a perfect fit. I do hope one day soon that the family give permission as I understand the emotion. But, also, it has been 32 years now and at some point everything should move on. Hmmm, 32 years rings a bell, I believe Darren broke a drought of some type after 32 years. The timing feels right for me.

MONCO: Your life.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:20 am

This keeps coming up over and over again.

Just respect the wishes of the family.

There have been multiple threads and stories about this including this one from 2003 when the Club announced that Billy Morrison was going to have the number 42 (it seems without proper consultation with the family).

Time to "un-retire" Number 42
https://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=91405

There was also this article where Darren Millane’s Mum said that perhaps a future Milan’s could wear it someday.

25 years on: Darren Millane’s family share their ongoing heartbreak over his death
August 20, 2016
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/25-years-on-darren-millanes-family-share-their-ongoing-heartbreak-over-his-death/news-story/ac5a521805a4d2edec762c557cefe1d4

Denise Millane (Darren Millane’s Mum wants her son’s revered No. 42 retired in the hope that another Millane will one day have the chance to don the number.

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:42 am

Just let it go.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:02 am

If there were two jumpers I'd have retired in perpetual memoriam they'd be Alan Cordner and Darren Millane.
Both listed players at the time who lost their lives in tragic circumstances.

Cordner would be more difficult as he played under 2 numbers, common for the era, but last played under #4. He was the first Collingwood player to die while in active service. It'd be a fitting legacy for our players that have served or paid the greatest sacrifice.
I'd like to see the no.4 guernsey presented to our player that wins the ANZAC Day medal.
†25 April 1915 (aged 24) Place of death near Cape Helles, Gallipoli, Ottoman Turkey.

Legacies in memoriam are exactly that and shouldn't be tampered with, particularly in light of the circumstances.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18   

Jump to: