Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Time to get #42 back on the field

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJ Aquarius

Harry C - The champion of the Harrys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So is Club 42 going to be known as Club No1 Draft Pick from now on? Tradition is great, the retiring of the number 42 is part of our history, yes our tradition.

Perhaps I am wrong, trying to live in the past. The future may realise this as a great tradition, but at the moment I am upset.

You give a 17 year old, untried kid who may have supported Carlton all his life the sacred No 42, see him wear it for one season in the Williamstown colours and then hand it on to another.

It just don't make no sense?!?!?!?!?!

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:50 pm

ahhhh, but if it's in the Williamstown colours......is it really our sacred Black and White 42?
Go_The_Mighty_Magpies Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:53 pm

no jacqui, but if he makes senior selection it will
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:12 pm

What has his family have to say about it? if they're for it, so am I. personaly I don't mind either way, on one hand keeping it retired shows respect, on the other hand giving it to a new recruit might just be the thing that turns one or two of them into champions like the great man himself, and besides I miss seeing 42 run around so so much......

http://magpiemad.magpies.net/daz.html

tomaraya 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:42 am

can not say i was too happy when i first heard of this lunacy. however, after thinking about it for a while i am starting to see some sense to this decision.
one thing that came to mind is that one of darren's great traits as a human and a collingwood person was the way he always went out of his way to make anyone and everyone welcome at his club. he would always take the young players under his wing and initiate them into the collingwood culture.
i suppose in a small symbolic way he can keep doing this forever and a day.
if this inspires our no: 1 draft pick onto greater things then who is to say that it is not worth it. never having met the great man i cant say whether he would approve or not but my gut instinct tells me he would be absolutely stoked.
i am assuming that for this decision to have been made public that his family have approved the idea. if it's good enough for them,it's good enough for me.

p.s no amount of danny roach's could ever demean or lessen the contribution that PANTS gave to our great club.
give it a chance people.i'm sure we wont be dissapointed

TC 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:41 am

I still can't come to accept that the number 42 jumper will be worn by anyone else than Darren Millane. I remember watching Millane play both "up close and personal" at Vic park and other grounds.

To my mind Collingwood should keep on honouring and respecting the memory of Darren Millane by keeping the number 42 jumper permanently retired. It should NEVER be bought out of retirement.

I would like to make a plea to the powers that be at Collingwood to reverse this decision and leave Collingwood number 42 jumper forever Darren's.
To me it always will be.

Trippy Pie Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:26 am

The poor kid has not even played a game yet and already supporters are calling for his blood.

No club has ever won a game let alone a grand final because of tradition.

Tradition will not kick a goal nor take a mark or apply a tackle.

This kid Billy Morrisson for mine will be the future of Collingwood.

One of the biggest problems this club has is it continues to live in the past. How many supporters still bask in the glory of winning 4 premierships in a row? That was completed over 70 yers ago.

Yes I do believe that clubs need to keep alive their history and traditions but if you don't learn from the mistakes of the past you will be history.

So everyone who is upset why don't you have a nice strong cuppa, a Bex and agood lie down.
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:31 am

Isnt it important that new recruits learn the Collingwood way.

The player that wore No 42 epitomes everything we love about our Woods, the skill, the grit, the commitment, the enthusiasm.

The most vivid memory of No 42 will be at the end of the 1990 GF, remember him personally that way, let his spirit live on through the new blood to the club.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:58 am

Trippy Pie wrote:
The poor kid has not even played a game yet and already supporters are calling for his blood.

No club has ever won a game let alone a grand final because of tradition.
Tradition will not kick a goal nor take a mark or apply a tackle.
This kid Billy Morrisson for mine will be the future of Collingwood.
One of the biggest problems this club has is it continues to live in the past. How many supporters still bask in the glory of winning 4 premierships in a row? That was completed over 70 yers ago.
Yes I do believe that clubs need to keep alive their history and traditions but if you don't learn from the mistakes of the past you will be history.

So everyone who is upset why don't you have a nice strong cuppa, a Bex and a good lie down.

TP,
Nobody is calling for Billy Morrisson's blood. It's not like he was drafted and walked into Victoria Park DEMANDING to be allocated #42!
The blood i will be after is from the moron who suggested bring #42 out of retirement.
As for the rest of your condescending post about history and tradition - ppffttt. Irrelevant.
This club has had 2 consecutive Grand Final opportunities to create their own history and pissed them both away. So if that means i live in the past by gloating about my seat at the 1990 Grand Final, so be it.
That day still takes pride of place in my memories, as opposed to GF 2003 which was an embarrassment to us all.

Anything else?

Dyso
Yobbo^LuKa Libra

=[(World Champion)]=

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:29 pm

This is either going to be accepted or hated by the fans,Obviously by the look of this post so far. Lets hope that no unrest is caused by the reawakening of the number 42 jumper.

To those bagging Morrison get stuffed! He didnt ask to wear 42...Get over it. When it comes down to it, this issue should have been for the members to vote on.

Maybe he is the saviour... lol

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:33 pm

I just hope the club spoke to the family - surely they must have!! I have an uneasy feeling as there has been no word from them saying that they are happy with this If they are happy then I can learn to live with it

I never thought I could ever cheer anyone wearing the number 22 like I did John Greening - time passes but memories will always remain strong

Maybe the club feel that this is a good way to make sure that pants memory never dies and to ensure that the new generation of Collingwood supporters learn about pants

I reserve my judgement until I hear the family's thoughts!!!
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:48 pm

Are us members still getting a say in our club???

I ask this cause of the Gurranted GF Ticket Membership and now with the bringing back of the number 42 jumper... The club has made decisions without the ideas being put forward to the members 1st.

I thought it was said "Collingwood The Peoples Club" something like that.

Mags

Canberra replied:

The decision to bring the 42 guernsey out of retirement is not wrong in itself. At the time it was mothballed until somebody earned the right to wear it. It was never to be retired permanently.

Mags replied:

Quote:
"Darren , we honour you by deciding that your number 42 guernsey will be retired indefinitely, the locker will be sealed "
- Alan McAlister 10/10/1991.

So much for never to be retired permanently...

Mags

Canberra replied:

Sorry Mags, you are not reading what McAlister said. Indefinitely means at some stage the number will be reinstated. My argument is the intention was to give it to someone who earned it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct reading, Canberra.

Indifinite - adverb: to an indefinite extent; for an indefinite time

Not permanent.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Hurricane 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:22 pm

This is just wrong. It doesn't make any sense. Why???
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:03 pm

All will be revealed Gernsey Presentation day. Family is right behind the clubs decision apparantly. So lets wait and see. I agree he should not be forgotten as many kids will never know of the famous #42.

Big shoes to fill for Billy, good luck to him.
Bones 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:09 pm

The board has lost the plot.

And as for Balme and Malthouse supporting the idea, PO, you 2 are NOT Collingwood people, YET.

Ed and co. are slowly voting themselves out of office.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18   

Jump to: