Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Labor - The Bad, The Ugly and the occasional Good.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Didn't most people realise that decades ago?

Yep, about the same time I realised that 95% of the politicians are in it solely for themselves. I remember a local politician telling me that he can now go back to earning his own money until the next election when he will try to get a federally funded pension 🥺 Which btw never happened 😆

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:37 pm

Just to add a corrective to the general disgust, policy still matters, though. The Glibs have been despicable wreckers in many key areas since I've cared about policy, so that should never be forgotten. Moreover, the same people who claim disgust with politicians regularly support disgusting policy.

So, as true as it might be, I find this sentiment is often a deflection, and is regularly promulgated by those who have personally supported the very worst and most destructive policies.

Another aspect of this is that in a two-party system, one party can wreck the whole, dragging the system unto the mud, like Trump in the US and the mental case Tories here, or the Glibs from mid-Howard to Abbott.

No one says: 'Apple is only in it for themselves, so I'm not buying an iPhone or investing in the company'. Or, 'the bloke who built that house was a prick, so I'm not buying it even though it's undervalued'. Or, 'that's a sensible approach, but I'm not taking it because of his narcissism'.

Such reasoning is often beside the point where policy is concerned.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:14 pm

I think on that metric, the current Labor government certainly put their mouth where their money is.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:57 pm

^Like any investment, it's still a game of fractions and should be treated accordingly.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:14 pm

nomadjack wrote:
Not defending Marles because we don't know the actual details of the flights taken - nobody, including the article, is suggesting it was outside the scope of his ministerial role though. This is what makes equating it with the Bishop controversy factually incorrect. Bishop used the VIP helicopter to attend a party fund-raising event - this is outside the scope of her ministerial role which breached travel guidelines and is why she had to pay the funds back.

Got it in one. Bishop was caught out spending public money on private party business.

As for the trivial sums involved, let's try to focus on something serious. That kind of reporting is just click-bait for imbeciles. There's all sorts of things one might say about a political party, or its elected representatives, by way of trenchant criticism - but whining about how much they spend on travel to do their elected business is just dumb. If it were to turn out that the planes were being chartered to attend ALP branch meetings, that'd be the story. At the moment, though, all we have is that air travel costs a bit - which I think most of us knew.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:54 am

Victoria's soft on crime stats

YTD 10,000 crimes by persons on bail - up by 4,000.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:42 am

Source?
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:16 am

Airbus Albo notches his 18th trip in his first 544 days of office...a new record for PM travel including 3 trips in 24 days since the failed Voice.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:47 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Airbus Albo notches his 18th trip in his first 544 days of office...a new record for PM travel including 3 trips in 24 days since the failed Voice.
Compared to the Pentecostal Minister of Everything who did nothing, 18 trips is a lot.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:12 pm

I don't understand why anyone thinks this matters, provided it's for Commonwealth, rather than party, purposes. The cost is less than a drop in the ocean for the Revenue.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:51 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I don't understand why anyone thinks this matters, provided it's for Commonwealth, rather than party, purposes. The cost is less than a drop in the ocean for the Revenue.

Just another silly whinge from the right wing zealots. Australia wins, with the overseas visit righting the wrong done by Scomo, like with China. Fixing up the mess left by the coalition clowns 🤡 In the end, we all win.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:24 pm

Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles took a 2,000 kilometre round trip on a taxpayer-funded flight to watch the Cricket World Cup on Sunday in India.

Flies on a VIP RAAF jet to watch to Cricket. I guess this is filed under the "in line with the rules"

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:45 pm

Right or wrong it’s not like he was doing anything sneaky: https://www.minister.defence.gov.au/media-releases/2023-11-18/visit-india-second-22-foreign-and-defence-ministerial-consultations

One can reasonably argue that junket stuff like this is part of his job.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:06 pm

^

India v Aus in the world cup final, India's PM present at the stadium he named after himself, entirely appropriate that an Aus Snr politician be present as well.

Albo was in the USA so it's either Marles or the foreign minister who gets called up. Just part of the gig.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:28 pm

I've never seen a quota on how many trips a PM can and can't do. Mind you the LNP has always been the "Do as I say, not as I Do" Party.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: