Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:47 pm
Post subject: Grundy traded - discuss the trade hereReply with quote

Hot news in the last 24 hours.

5 years to run on his contract. Adelaide is the team he is being linked to.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-dustin-martin-to-sydney-swans-tom-harley-dismisses-talk-western-bulldogs-confirm-interest-in-rory-lobb-free-agency-chris-grant-players-out-of-contract/news-story/d6c8fdf2ec5551716983afa8e1bc1ba6

What are we thinking about this news?

DeadEyeDidak 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Great News - Hope he can get his head around it and doesn't dig his heels in
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:50 pm

I call total bullshit, did it come from those two very "reliable " sources, tubby Robbo, or Caro, or even Cornes, or Rockcliff i bet. Just utter crap, wont happen.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:22 pm

Rockliff apparently
neds elbow 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:43 pm

Nobody would take him on with his current contract and I can't see us paying part of his wage for him to play somewhere else.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:48 pm

BS wont happen
Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:00 pm

More Cornes floggery, why would you put up a player for trade that you've signed up for 7 years after one injury plagued season? The only bit of Cornes logic that makes any sense is we probably shouldn't have offered Grundy, or any other player for that matter, a seven year deal after the Treloar salary cap debacle and subsequent firesale.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:08 pm

neds elbow wrote:
Nobody would take him on with his current contract and I can't see us paying part of his wage for him to play somewhere else.

His contract was front-end loaded, meaning he is probably now being paid much less than his reputed $1 m a year. My guess (that's all it is) would be that he is now on around $850,000 pa, of which there would probably be clubs keen and able to pay his current salary.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:11 pm

I think there’s more to this. For the record it was originally Rockliff and the talk was Port or GWS.

I’m not saying it will happen, but I don’t think you an rule it out completely. I think the new management/board/staff at the Pies would be derelict if they weren’t open to things like this if it can progress the rebuild and the list.

Maybe the best they could get from someone if $600k and the club just couldn’t stomach the difference - that’s fine you keep him and find a way to make it work.

The only thing worse than making a bad decision (who on this forum actually thinks we should have re-signed on those terms?) is refusing to contemplate ways to mitigate it. Imagine a clean swap for a very good KPF? Grundy is and will again be a very good player, but given where our list is at and the development of others is he still the best way to spend that money if you had an option to do something else??

At the end of the day, if he wants to stay he will and if he goes he’ll still get the same money. If we end up paying some of his wage then I’m sure it will be for the greater good.

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:29 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
neds elbow wrote:

His contract was front-end loaded, meaning he is probably now being paid much less than his reputed $1 m a year. My guess (that's all it is) would be that he is now on around $850,000 pa, of which there would probably be clubs keen and able to pay his current salary.

Yep, you’re right. Instead of the $1M each year for 7 years, it’s probably something more like this….

Year 1 = $1.3M
Year 2 = $1.3M
Year 3 = $1.2
Year 4 = $900k
Year 5 = $800k
Year 6 = $800k
Year 7 = $700k

Also, the club who takes him can further ‘smooth’ out his contract by adding additional years to it.

It’s not totally out of the question that he won’t be with us next year.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:30 pm

Wasn't Cornes it was Tom Rockliff. And yes, he is a flog not worth the oxygen.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:33 pm

Grundy is a very good ruckman. He's not Peter Moore or Len Thompson or Simon Madden, but he's still very good.

He was given that contract based on 2 x AA seasons and his importance as an extra midfielder in how Buckley coached.

Fast forward a bit, new coach who was at richmond when they won premierships with a lump of wood and a midget on a pogo stick in the ruck, Grundy goes out injured and Cameron, Cox and Begg all stand up.

We are still a better team with Grundy in it, I can understand if the club is testing the waters but would be extremely disappointed if we do a Treloar like salary dump with Grundy and then spend $600k pa on an organic witches hat like McStay.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:38 pm

Wise words stui. Cool
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:06 pm

If you read it in HS then it’s B.S
Count how many afl journo’s they have on the books. There is no way there can be that many true stories in the AFL. And that’s just HS journo’s.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:13 pm

Unlike DeGoeys restricted free agency situation, where DeGoey calls the shots, any Grundy trade is a very different situation. All three parties would have to be in total agreement before any trade could eventuate. As an EXAMPLE only, if Port were prepared to offer up Georgiadis and a first round pick in the teens, then the Pies would be obliged to weigh up the cost / benefit of the trade. If Collingwood don’t like it, then the trade doesn’t happen, that’s how simple it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Page 1 of 109   

Jump to: