Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Term "Bandwagoners"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:13 am
Post subject: The Term "Bandwagoners"Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Not trying to be controversial or anything but i Kinda get the impression that we are using this term to freely....Sure there are alot of people joining the club as new members, I reakon we should be welcoming them in rather than labeling them. After all the people who are coming on board are making the club greater, regardless of the fact that they may be joining now rather than through the tough times.....Woewodin played for Melbourne, Williams for West Coast but now they wear the black and white, well I sure as hell give them my heart. Maybe, just maybe we should get behind these people and thank them for coming on board. Give them a pat on the back and say "you bloody beauty mate, bout time you joined us", even educate them on what a true Collingwood supporter is and if things go bad again they will know, you never ever give up on the Pies.

Let us not be too quick to judge them, or berate them...Welcome them, they are the ones who are pushing the membership numbers this year to record heights, and in 2 years time, when the G is at full Capacity and the boys run out on the field on that one day in september, well won't it be good to have them there with thier guarenteed tickets, right along side us cheering the boys to their second flag in a row. Let there be no talk of bandwagoners...Only Brother and Sister, one big happy family....

GO THE PIES!!!!

Cheers

Nicholas 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandwagoners don't usually stick in the rough times. Let's see if they support us if we go down again. And I hope the johnny come lately types don't cost the old-timers a seat in the finals.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:40 am

Bandwagoners:

- often leave before the game ends
- taunt, harass, abuse OUR players
- don't talk football if we lose 2 games in a row
- assume that they are the yardstick that collingwood supporters are judged by
- don't educate their kids about the greatness of collingwood
- don't educate their kids about seeing through hard times
- don't even know who is playing for us
- become the spokesperson at their work for collingwood in spite of all this
- don't bother to find out anything about the pie history
swooper 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:36 pm

Good on you Northern Pie - couldnt agree with you more. I work with a few 'bandwagoners' - who have joined up for the first time - and good on em! I mean what would you say to them? No, p*** off we dont want your money,support etc? Thats just crazy...welcome them all on board, lets get record membership and hopefully they'll stick around and learn what it means to really support a great club.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:51 pm

Good stuff NP, I too am sick of the petty bickering between ourselves. I don’t care if you’re a bandwagoner, I don’t care if you’re not a member, I don’t care if you don’t go to every game, we all love the Pies and that makes us the same.
DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:46 pm

I'm so sick of reading so much self-important garbage on this Board.

"I'm a real supporter because I've never left early in my life."

"Can't stand bandwagoners..." etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, bloody blah!!!

Time for my 2-bob's worth!

I've been a member since birth, stood in line at 6am as an 11 year old to get a good seat at the 1990 GF, went to the drunken after-party at Victoria Park (at age 11), juggle going to the footy with my own footballing commitments, spend in excess of $400 each year on memberships, 5 years ago (when Collingwood was an ambarrassment) told Noel Judkins when he asked of my team preference my desire to train with Collingwood even though chances elsewhere presented themself...and left at the 20 minute mark of the last quarter on Saturday. People have their reasons for leaving early, traffic, families, post-match engagments, etc. People can do as they bloody well like. "Oh, how terrible for the boys to see the crowd leave." Stop reading so much into every aspect of football - when all is said and done, the players do not care. Out of tens of thousands of supporters, I don't think a few thousand leaving will harm the fabric of their precious little mind!

If it takes so-called "bandwagoners" to reach record membership numbers, then welcome aboard. As long as you're happy with your own methods of support/barracking, who gives a rat's?

(and yes, I do see the irony in displaying my own self-importance to get my view across).
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:19 pm

DaicosMagic wrote:
... People have their reasons for leaving early, traffic, families, post-match engagments, etc ...

hmmm ... but I wonder why traffic, families and post-match engagements don't seem to be so important when we're WINNING.
Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:41 pm

from jlc

Bandwagoners are there to enjoy the good times but when the hard times are here desert the team so to speak.

A classic case is richmond when they are going well everything is happy at tigerland. Memberships and crowds are swelling and everything in the den is happy.

First sign of any trouble or poor perfromance the supporters drop off pretty quick and memberships go back down.

jlc

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:55 pm

Dr Alf, at the end of the day, it all comes down to personal gain, whether we like it or not, and that doesn't make the majority of people any less of a supporter. Over the years, I've probably put more into the club than those who "have never left early, EVER!" lot. Granted, I rarely leave early, but the fact that I have at least once in my life forces me to argue for th eother side. Is watching the end of a bad loss worth more to someone than missing some of a friend's party - probably not. Is watching a nailbiting finish worth more to someone than missing some of that party - most likely. I'm sure there has been at least one occasion when I've left early when we've had a huge lead. I had to leave during the last quarter many years ago during a Carlton game at Waverly when the game was still in the balance (we ended up winning). You people can't just pigeonhole supporters. Soometimes the frustration just takes over in the form of a walk-out. Collingwood is a large part of my life - but it is not the only thing in my life. If it was, I would have been a miserable wreck during the last decade (and I'd remind myself to get a life). Yes, winners are grinners, but football isn't everything.

And the oft-given reason - "Players have to stay to the end, so should we!" can be rebuffed in a cynical, yet ultimately realstic way:

Players get paid to stay out on the ground, supporters don't!
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:49 pm

wasn't really my intention to turn this into a debate abotu leaving early or anything else. Just saying that even we should welcome all who join the club and are making themselves part of something special that is happening at the Collingwood Football Club.

Cheers

MAGPIRA 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:40 pm

It's definitely a hard one to agree on! Firstly, nothing breeds like success, so it's only natural that the more success we get, the more people will want to come along for the ride, because let's face it, as Pants (RIP) once said "being at Collingwood is like being in Hollywood"! No other club generates as much enthusiasm as we do!

But is there any difference between these two types of people in terms of bandwagoners?

1. People who have just decided to become Collingwood supporters through our uprising of recent times?

or

2. Collingwood supporters who were always Collingwood Supporters but like Richmond supporters dropped off through the lean years and have just now decided to start going again?

It's interesting how one does determine a real 'bandwagoner', but I guess it's just something that happens to all clubs at various stages (except North Melbourne Laughing ), so at the end of the day I say "what the hell...the more the merrier", as long as the diehards, who go week in, week out, don't miss out when it comes finals time!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:14 pm

Let them join up and support the club. Thats fine the MCG hold 70,000 approx at the moment so there is room for everyone. Thats why a loyalty program is essential by the club. A lot of organisations are organising this !!

BUT GET IN THE QUEUE........lol

I hate it when the loyal supporters miss out

jlc
nitric 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:13 pm

Mathew, Chapter 20, Verses 1 to 16
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:39 am

nitric wrote:
Mathew, Chapter 20, Verses 1 to 16

Well ... I must say you've floored me with that one. The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard ... or, as I will think of it from now on ... the Parable of the Bandwagoners.

For those who couldn't be bothered looking it up, it goes basically like this.

A vineyard owner hires some workers first thing in the morning to do a days work in the vineyard for a siver coin. At nine o'clock he hires another lot of workers to join in. Then midday he hires a few more. At three o'clock he hires even more workers to join in ... and then he hires a few more very late in the afternoon.

When they all finish work at sun-down, the vineyard owner pays them all a silver coin each, regardless of whether they've started first thing in the morning or very late in the afternoon.

The ones who've been working since sunrise complain about the fact they've worked all day and are only getting the same pay as the people who started work late in the day.

The boss tells them that they have nothing to grizzle about because they are getting paid the wage they've agreed to work for at the start of the day, and that it's his business if he wants to pay the other workers the same amount for less work.

OK. So what is this telling us. That those us who've been following the Club for years shouldn't grizzle if a few new supporters get to enjoy a successful Pies era without putting in the hard yards. We still get the joy of seeing the Pies have some success, so we haven't really lost anything by it.

Fair point. And you can't argue with that.

BUT ...

Imagine if all the workers lined up for their pay at the end of the day, and the boss didn't have enough silver coins to go round. So he couldn't pay all the workers. The ones who didn't get paid would have a right to get pissed off ... True?

And imagine, furthermore, if some of the workers who were there first thing in the morning were the ones who missed out, while the ones who started in late afternoon got paid. They'd REALLY have a right to be pissed off, I reckon.

And I think that's where the Parable of the Vineyard differs from the bandwagoners situation. Because there are situations (such as Grand Final ticketing, to give the most obvious example) where it's not possible for the privileges of Collingwood membership to be available to all members.

And it's in situations like that that many of us longer term supporters start behaving a bit like the workers in the vineyard who started first thing in the morning. And with good reason, I reckon.

But an excellent post, Nitric ... and one that really got me thinking.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:20 am

Wow thats a very good analogy im very impressed Smile

jlc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: