Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The greatest Collingwood captain - Des Tuddenham

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddieforprez 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:18 am
Post subject: Great articleReply with quote

Well written magpie-greg and some illuminating stuff re tuddy.I recall the end of his era. It is hard to be subjective about captains we have been blessed with some excellent leadership, be it Ray Shaw or Mark Williams.
I think Bucks will be remembered as one of the best if not the best for just the sheer dominance he has on a game.
Still Tuddy was and should be remembered for what he was - a champion footballer and a champion captain.

Cheers
Cool

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant stuff Greg m8, great read, I love reading about past players and there should be more of this sort of thing around.
Well done.

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:31 pm

Good story Greg. Wish I could remember or get some footage of him playing.

Although your a brave man titleing the thread "Collingwood's greatest Captain" with Kristin floating around!!!! ha ha ha
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:58 pm

Great little story there, MG, but Dillo's right, I do take exception to the title! We all know who is Collingwood's Greatest Captain! Wink

Ok, ok, I know I'm biased! Anyway, my mum might agree with you - she obviously loved Des too cos she named our cat after him! Good ol TUDDY! I, on the other hand don't recall Des playing at all, though I do remember his son Paul!

serendipity 

The Road to Glory.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:30 pm

Great story Greg.
I remember seeing Tuddy back when I was just a youngster.....went to vic park with me dad......and was standing next to Ray Gabelich..WOW!!.......He looked 20 ft tall compared to a ten year old like me...But Tuddy was always my favorite.....well ....cept for weiderman.errrrr.......and of coarse the great Terry Waters( I wore his No5 proudly on my back), Len Thompson and later Peter Mckenna..........Well.....OK.their all great....Anyway.thanks for the memories........
From another Greg ( alias serendipity)
Danzy Rocks!!! 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:43 pm

i'm too young to remember des... but from what i know he was (obviously) a gun... he married my nan;s cousin
NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:38 pm

Great player.

Pity he played and coached Essenscum.
Rohan 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:07 pm

The greatest captain I've seen play was Mark Williams. However history dictates that my GGF Sydney Alfred Coventry is without any shadow of doubt, Collingwood's greatest on (captain) and off (president) field leader.

Rohan 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:28 pm

Choco was one of the most loyal players around that era. Richardson, Gary Shaw, Raines and Abernathy were all on more money yet Williams performances in winning the 1983 and 1985 Copelands meant he deserved more.

As for Tuddy, he held the club to ransom about pay. Tried to play a power duel with a hugely underrated figure and argubly a member of Collingwood's second greatest family in Tom Sherrin. Williams was happy to stay in 1987 for less pay but was shipped to Brisbane.

History shows Tuddy cost us a premiership by trying to iron out a Carlton player but he collected his own player in Peter McKenna. It would be a bit like Woey taking out Buckley in a Grand Final.

Rohan 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:40 pm

And remember Mark Williams play was that good that Peter Daicos wasn't able to be our number 1 centreman (as Williams was). Daicos and Williams had a long running contest at training to kick goals (a bit like Basketball horse) and Williams spanked him.

Daicos has always said he rated Williams a better player.

Tuddy cost us the 1970 premiership. Until that point McKenna had kicked 6 goals on top of a 9 goal performance in the second semi final. He was on track to kick at least 10.

Charlie Utting (the Assistant Coach) and Bob Rose were of the opinion that it cost us the premiership.

Rohan 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:46 pm

Hypothetical.

Matthew Lloyd has kicked 137 goals and up to the second quarter, he has kicked 6 goals and is absolutely raping his opponent. James Hird in a undisciplined act tries to flatten out his opponent but collects Lloyd.

From that point on it goes downhill. It's simple really.

Even McKenna admitts it cost us a premiership.

serendipity 

The Road to Glory.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:37 am

Hey MG,
I thought this is a great idea of discussing one of our past greats. It certainly has created some interesting facts (or not) on one of our best players.Why not make this a weekly discussion on more of our past players and coaches, inviting all of nicks readers to have their input onto that particular player/coach.I`m sure it would generate a lot of interest, and insight for some of our younger fans who missed out on seeing the great men who are the backbone of Collingwood. You seem to very very knowledgable on collingwoods past, so I think it would be best for you to pick the featured player/coach...It`s just an idea and might get a few Woods fans flicking through their old books and magazines about Collingwoods past. What do ya think????
Regards
Greg
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:47 pm

I think Tuddy was at the pub I went to for lunch today. He likes a beer and a bet. Not much has changed with footy players.
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:10 pm

Great story on Tuddy,but dont forgetRay Gabelich,Murray Weiderman,Lou Richards and the prior to Tuddy..Bob Rose can also be put amongst the greats as well.
Them were the GREAT days.....and they were FOOTBALL days.

serendipity 

The Road to Glory.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:04 am

I am looking forward to reading them MG. Keep up the good work
GO PIES...
Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: