Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood - Yálla-birr-ang

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:35 am
Post subject: Collingwood - Yálla-birr-angReply with quote

I'm not calling for it to be used in place of Collingwood like some other teams, though neither am I saying it should not be, but just FYI..

The area now known as Collingwood is thought to have been named Yálla-birr-ang by the Wurundjeri people, the original Indigenous inhabitants of the area.

It does lend itself to the slow chant though.

BTW - the Wurundjeri word for magpie is Barrawarn, though Parrwang seems to have been used as well (though I'm not pretending to know enough about the language to understand in what context each might have been used).
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolbardie is magpie in Noongar language.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:53 am
Post subject: Re: Collingwood - Yálla-birr-angReply with quote

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

BTW - the Wurundjeri word for magpie is Barrawarn, though Parrwang seems to have been used as well (though I'm not pretending to know enough about the language to understand in what context each might have been used).

Potentially just different anglicised spelling for the same word. I've read before that in some Indigenous dialects, they use a hard consonant that is not quite a B or a P and both have been used in different cases for English spelling of the same word.

eg, the Bangarang mob (part of the Yorta Yorta language group) is sometimes written as Pangarang.

Update, the Wurundjeri word for Magpie is Barrawarn, 'Parrwang' meaning magpie in the Wadawurrung language, down around Geelong.

https://community.collingwoodfc.com.au/barrawarn

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:54 am

So what!

Put up a sign next to the welcome to Collingwood one.

Enough already!

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:08 am

How do we know this was the aboriginal word for Collingwood?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 1:24 pm

γάμα τον Κάρλτον
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:44 pm

I think there's other ways to pay tribute. This is getting silly. Names / categories exist for social utility so if two strangers meet they can exchange information / goods. I read an analogy from a very old text book about the social chaos that would ensue if every different house on the street had their own unique language known only to them.

This is a little exaggerated but as a reductio ad absurdum experiement, just imagine rotating names of products, locations or even ailments. It creates confusion.

I was confused momentarily when scouring for games on Kayo when I saw Yartapuulti vs. Naarm. Just my two cents.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:45 pm

Spain, Finland, Wales and New Zealand say "hi"...
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:47 pm

^ say hello back to them
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:19 pm

masoncox wrote:

Because some people still speak their respective language and at different schools catering for local Aboriginal communities the respective languages are taught in some cases.

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:53 pm

think positive wrote:
So what!

Enough already!

I'm with you. I'm a w@g. I don't give a sh@#t about this. Can I have an Italian round where we use Italian names and sing the song in Italian? I'm actually getting sick of all this constant race crap in the AFL and life in general. My family came here for a better life. I'm an Australian that's all that should matter.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:09 am

watt price tully wrote:
masoncox wrote:

Because some people still speak their respective language and at different schools catering for local Aboriginal communities the respective languages are taught in some cases.

Collingwood is a small area in inner Melbourne.
It really defies belief that they would remember the name of this area when they were depleted almost completely by the whites.
More than likely it is a made up word or it doesn't correspond with that particular place.
Unfortunately there was no written aboriginal languages so it is entirely a verbal language passed on thru time.
When the whites got here in 1835 they really smashed the aboriginal life, culture and beliefs. Only fragments remained.
And out of these fragments came the word for Collingwood.
I just don't believe it.
Second point is I was a teacher who taught for decades in a high school that had at times more aboriginal students enrolled than any other school in Melbourne.
No aboriginal language was ever spoken there that I heard.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:41 am

schuey07 wrote:
think positive wrote:
So what!

Enough already!

I'm with you. I'm a w@g. I don't give a sh@#t about this. Can I have an Italian round where we use Italian names and sing the song in Italian? I'm actually getting sick of all this constant race crap in the AFL and life in general. My family came here for a better life. I'm an Australian that's all that should matter.

Why have Italians been here for thousands of years? 🤦‍♂️.

As you should know Italians during and post wars faced a fair bit of discrimination however very little now compared to the not so recent past. We can’t say the same for Aboriginal Australians on a number of measures.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:44 am

masoncox wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
masoncox wrote:

Collingwood is a small area in inner Melbourne.
It really defies belief that they would remember the name of this area when they were depleted almost completely by the whites.
More than likely it is a made up word or it doesn't correspond with that particular place.
Unfortunately there was no written aboriginal languages so it is entirely a verbal language passed on thru time.
When the whites got here in 1835 they really smashed the aboriginal life, culture and beliefs. Only fragments remained.
And out of these fragments came the word for Collingwood.
I just don't believe it.
Second point is I was a teacher who taught for decades in a high school that had at times more aboriginal students enrolled than any other school in Melbourne.
No aboriginal language was ever spoken there that I heard.

When I was a student in the 60’s and 70’s in inner city Melbourne the same was true for me. However there was a lot more out there than my experience.

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:45 am

watt price tully wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
think positive wrote:
So what!

Enough already!

Why have Italians been here for thousands of years? 🤦‍♂️.

As you should know Italians during and post wars faced a fair bit of discrimination however very little now compared to the not so recent past. We can’t say the same for Aboriginal Australians on a number of measures.

You miss my point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: