Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tasmanian stadium protests

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the new Tasmanian stadium be built?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:45 am
Post subject: Tasmanian stadium protestsReply with quote

https://www.news.com.au/national/politics/thousands-rally-against-a-new-700m-afl-stadium-in-tasmania-amid-housing-crisis/news-story/f07674121ecfd31abf5966d37fa7ab1a

I must admit to being surprised by how vehement the opposition to the Tasmanian stadium has been, and it's interesting to see how it's crossed political lines: you've got federal Labor backing it but state Labor opposing it, and right-wingers (Jacqui Lambie) and left-wingers (Andrew Wilkie) joining forces to bring it down.

Personally, I always feel disgusted by countries spending millions/billions on Olympic Games venues in the midst of rampant poverty and homelessness. That feels obscene for something that gets used once and then has little purpose thereafter. But I'm also sympathetic to the argument put by Gerard Whateley on AFL 360 that sport, like the arts, doesn't actually get that much funding in the broader scheme of things, and that it's unfair to put it up against health and education as you can make that argument every time and sport always loses.

I also wonder why the AFL were so insistent on the stadium when crowds are unlikely to be that high. Is Tasmania really big enough to get crowds in excess of 30,000 or so to games? And (forgive me if a million people have already asked this question and there's an obvious answer) why not just build a couple of new grandstands around North Hobart Oval?

Do we have any Tasmanians here (Mike? Tannin?) who have an opinion on this? What does everyone else think?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not achieving a huge increase in capacity, it’s not necessary, I get why they are campaigning.

Not everyone in Tassie watches AFL, small state, small revenue base,

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:56 am

I read somewhere that the main case against upgrading the exiting Hobart oval is there's no space around it. It's (apparently) pretty much in a residential area, lack of parking and a number of other factors that would limit it's use as a multi purpose stadium (eg, for concerts). The spot the AFL and state government agreed on is an area crying out for development, apparently.

Update, here's a pretty good explanation of the logic. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-07/bellerive-oval-suitability-for-afl-matches-explainer/102310430

blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:32 pm
Post subject: Re: Tasmanian stadium protestsReply with quote

David wrote:
I also wonder why the AFL were so insistent on the stadium when crowds are unlikely to be that high.

Because the AFL doesn't really want a Tasmanian team, and they just threw out that demand probably in the belief that Tasmania (and the federal government) wouldn't bite. But Tassie and the feds have sort of called the AFL's bluff, which probably doesn't bother the AFL all that much because they get a new ground with increased spectator amenity, as well also new sponsor amenity.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 1:15 pm

i think they want north melbourne to relocate
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:41 pm

They want an entertainment area. A place where people can come to eat and drink. No other stadium has that, nor the space to develop such a entertainment hub

And....why would you build a small stadium. Populations are only going to grow. It would be short-sighted, like Marvel Stadium, which is really a nother stadium.

If it was like Optus Stadium, then it would host some significant and important events.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:14 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
They want an entertainment area. A place where people can come to eat and drink. No other stadium has that,

Ehhh, Adelaide Oval? They have a 5 star Hotel built into part of the grandstand.

https://www.ovalhotel.com.au/

They have a whole precinct to develop where they plan to build the oval.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:05 pm

^ That's all good and well if Tassie want to play home game in Adelaide. But, since they don't, they need one built in Tassie as none of the existing Tassie stadiums can be re-developed.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:09 pm

Even though I'm half expecting a selfish nimbyism to be playing a major role, it's very hard to judge this kind of thing at a distance. Even geography is hard to get a sense of unless you've lived somewhere for a while, driven the roads regularly, etc.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:40 am

pietillidie wrote:
Even though I'm half expecting a selfish nimbyism to be playing a major role, it's very hard to judge this kind of thing at a distance. Even geography is hard to get a sense of unless you've lived somewhere for a while, driven the roads regularly, etc.

theres roads in tassie??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: