Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What food do you grow?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:32 pm
Post subject: What food do you grow?Reply with quote

What food do you grow at home? Whether it be chickens for eggs, fruit trees or a vege garden, there's something nice about having home grown tucker.

I don't have much at home, but up in Toc I inherited 2 lemon trees of different types. 1 fruits twice a year and is quite sweet for a lemon.

I've planted an olive tree and a finger lime, both of which are currently fruiting, a normal lime which is being assaulted by some insects, a Mulberry Tree out the front, a Blueberry Bush and a couple of Chilli plants.

When I was up over Easter I was looking at a bit of old steel mesh and a couple of metal CD racks near the fence where I'd demolished the carport and shed, and had an inspiration (or moment of madness) Razz Dug a mini garden bed, fertilised it, put the mesh and CD racks in it and planted some Broad beans (or Fava Beans) to grow up and over it.

I also stuck some Silver Beet in a couple of different spots in other garden beds, see how it goes

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I love love love my 3 chickens!
Nothing like fresh eggs!

Grown by us: Lemons, tomatoes, pumpkins, spring onions, beetroot

Inherited: walnuts, strawberries, broad beans, sugar snap peas, rhubarb, 2kinds of apples, cherries, asparagus, Oh and wool!

We are going to build a big raised bed garden with a drip feed system.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:52 pm

Cool, walnuts and Rhubarb, Yum. I inherited some asparagus as well, but my timing is shitful. When i go up it's either not there or 2 foot tall and useless. Mad
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:23 pm

The walnuts are amazing, bu5 the cockies get most of them, the tree is ginormous! It’s about 8-10 metres high, and almost as wide! The sheep love the leaves, it’s good, it means I can drive the mower under it!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:35 pm

^

A couple of decades ago, I had to drive a Telstra board member from Sydney, from Melbourne to Shepparton and back to do a presentation.

On the way back, he was looking at the scenery and commented on how the old Willow trees on farm land were so well pruned and praised the farmers for doing so.

I pointed out how Willow trees on a fenceline were "pruned" on the inside of the fence and not on the outside and explained that the "pruning" was exactly as high as a cow could reach. Razz Wink

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:20 pm

Lol! City people!
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:41 pm

Back at my old place when my old man was still around, lemon tree, orange tree, mandarin tree, olive tree, tomatoes, lettuce, string beans, nectarines, eggplant, cucumbers, peppers, and we had room for a few chooks, which was more up mum's alley.

Current place, not as much room. But the tomatoes went very well this year, the lemon tree (transplanted from the old house) did OK. Nectarine and mandarin trees still very young. A little lettuce. Lots of parsley, basil, and spearmint, which are all hardier than the dill. Inherited rosemary bush is invincible. Council has planted olive trees on one of our nature strips, already bearing fruit. Neighbour has a large fig tree which overhangs one of our fences, and since he's given up on putting up nets let alone collecting fruit, there's more than enough for ourselves and the lorikeets to gorge on.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:32 pm

What a brilliant idea by the council!
Better than those prickly things, paper barks or the ones that drop berry/nut things you can break your ankle on!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: