Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Housing policy and affordability

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
When I started work my first year apprentice wage was $88 a week take home! My kids both started on $70k plus a year, and even their friends without degrees are paid a lot better than we were, everything has gone up, income and outgoings.

Choices and priorities. My generation saved fora deposit before travelling the world or having kids, we had secondhand furniture and a holiday on the Gold Coast every couple of years. Our first houses were nothing special. And at least 1 parent worked 2 jobs. Our first rental was $52k and it was terrifying! But so worth the risk.

Both my kids had jobs during uni, and had almost a deposit saved when they got their degrees. The eldest saved up over $120k for her $570k basic spec home in Truganina. Not the best location, but she’s in the best part of Trug and it’s hers. We contributed zip, not even a loan. We did do up her yard for her and buy some 2nd hand furniture for her. Eventually, we will help out. But she has done it all on her own. Junior has a decent deposit after 14 months full time, we will start looking in the next 12 months. Yes they lived at home, because our priorities meant we could afford to have them, and they didn’t drive us to kick them out!

Again, choices and priorities, as WIAN said, in a nutshell.

Your road is your choice, not right or wrong, but don’t bitch about hardships and expect handouts all the time. Still cheap housing or units in truganina, and my eldest used to commute every day to the city , til she switched jobs and now works from home, so that’s no excuse. You live inner city, how much rent are you throwing away for location? You have said you could get a better paid job but you love your job, that’s a choice right there, and it’s fine to prioritise satisfaction over dollars, but it’s still your choice.

One thing I did teach my kids: do what you have to do before what you want to do. Then enjoy the reward.

There seems to be an assumption when I'm talking about this issue that I'm referring to myself and complaining about my own situation. As it happens, I know I'm in an unusual position in various ways and wouldn't necessarily extrapolate out from my experience at all. Yes I work two jobs (one full time, one casual) and am only on about $70k combined (and we pay $415 per week in rent, which I wouldn't say is exorbitant for a three-bedroom house in Hampton), but then I think it's fair to say I also care less about wealth than a lot of people do and don't have huge ambitions to ever own a house or car or anything much else. It's those my age who do have that ambition but lack the means whom I feel sorry for.

Just under $50k a year is pretty low for the profession I'm in and the work I'm doing, but it's not all that low in the broader scheme of things. There are plenty of people out there working hard hours for less, and who may lack the means to go to university or be retrained.

I appreciate the stories people are sharing here, but ultimately this "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality is a bit irrelevant to the discussion at hand. No matter how high house prices go, you're still going to get stories of people who do unusually long hours, only eat mi goreng noodles for a year and encounter various other hardships to get the savings needed. The question is: should they have to, or is this country wealthy enough that house ownership should be within the reach of anyone on a median full-time wage who lives fairly frugally?

That's a broader structural question that has little to do with whether I or anybody else has broken enough rocks in our personal lives to deserve it.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:29 pm

That’s a great post,David. But I really don’t think you should have to justify yourself to people here who know nothing of your own personal experiences.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:36 pm

He didnt have to justify himself, neither did the rest of us, he and we chose to give our point of view and share our situations, it’s a discussion. You might note though that David campaigns long and hard for people in his exact situation, although he always says its not about him. i dont care if it is or isnt.

I don’t care how anyone lives their life if they are not breaking laws, but don’t whinge about other people having stuff you don’t when they worked $£$%^%%$ hard for it and did without things your not prepared to forgo.

You don’t want to work extra hours, that’s fine, but you might have to settle for a 2nd hand Hyundai instead of a new Honda! Ps. I’ve never had a brand new car, hubby got one when he was 55, I’m 60 this year and waiting in line for mine.

Pulling yourself up by the boot strings is relevant. When most of us sharing started out interest rates were 18%! Now the young things are on the bread line for 4%. Why? Because they borrowed far more than they could afford if things go just a little bit south.

My daughter settled for a lesser location and quality of home, and locked in for 4 years. She still drives the 2nd had car we got her for her 21st 9 years later.

As for rentals, I’ve been on both sides, I was a great tenant, the landlord was ok, but not outstanding, I’ve been a fantastic landlord and been left with total devastation twice! Never again! People liove to whinge about rents, but **** me it really is chook lotto as to getting a decent tenant.

Options, choices, to save or not to save, to share or not to share. I don’t give a toss, but increasingly taxing people and taking away tax break benefits like negative gearing, (which by the way most investors only benefit at first, if your trying to pay the place off, at least for us it was hardly lucrative.,) is actually going to make the housing situation worse, not better. Because people will say **** THAT!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:14 pm

lucky we aint singapore!

https://www.9news.com.au/national/housing-policy-australia-overseas-public-ownership-mandatory-inclusionary-zoning-build-to-rent/7968e850-8eb4-404e-9ff8-2f7b1344efab?ocid=edm-nine.com.au-ninedaily--230413&mktg_scr=edm-ninedaily

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:00 pm

Are we? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but the policy doesn't sound that bad on the face of it. And if a country that small with that size population has space to keep building, we certainly do here too!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:09 pm

You can buy a house in Numurkah for less than $300k. Tree change and work from home.

https://www.realestate.com.au/buy/property-house-in-numurkah,+vic+3636/list-1?activeSort=price-asc&source=refinement

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:10 pm

Nice! Not actually all that far from where I spent the Easter long weekend.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:58 pm

There's plenty of affordable housing, if people are prepared to think outside the box. A place like Numurkah, decent size town, 30 minutes from Shepparton , 30 minutes from the Murray river. In these days of knowledge workers being able to work from home, places like this should be considered more as options.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:11 am

I'd love to move to Numurkah one day, great little town and got a lot of family in town.

Just need to get a job in Shep!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:37 am

David wrote:
Are we? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but the policy doesn't sound that bad on the face of it. And if a country that small with that size population has space to keep building, we certainly do here too!

High rises from arsehole to breakfast, 650k for a flat and you think that’s good?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:47 am

What did it say, less than $650k for four bedrooms? This link has a bit more info:

https://www.valuechampion.sg/average-cost-housing-singapore

Quote:
Average Cost of Homes in Singapore

The average cost of a home currently on the market in Singapore is S$2,080,533. HDB properties are the cheapest forms of housing available, costing an average of S$532,768. HDB's cost 70% less on average than condo properties and 80% less than landed properties. The median prices were between 7-24% lower, indicating that there are some exceptionally high-priced homes available that tend to skew the average positively. The greatest discrepancy between the average and the median listing price was from the landed property category, with a median listing price 24% lower than the average.

Average Cost of HDB Flats

Because HDB properties are subsidised by the government, they are the most affordable type of housing available. The average cost of an HDB property listing is S$532,768 or S$507 per square foot. Smaller flats, such as 2 and 3-room flats typically cost between S$300,000 and S$450,000. Medium-sized 4-room HDB flats are considerably pricier, costing 34% more than 2 and 3-room flats. However, if you are looking to upgrade to a larger HDB flat like a 5-room or executive flat, then you can expect to pay 20-44% more.

[current exchange rate is A$1.10 for S$1, btw]

I dunno, it's like a different planet there – you get a flat, or you get a flat! Not my cup of tea, but that's what you get when you have 5.6 million people living in 733 square kilometres (for comparison, less than a tenth the size of Melbourne).

I'm just impressed that they have an authority keeping the prices down in a place with (if I'm correct) a pretty high cost of living.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:37 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
I'd love to move to Numurkah one day, great little town and got a lot of family in town.

Just need to get a job in Shep!
it is a great place, used to stay on a dairy farm there every Christmas. New years at the numurkah pub was the best!

The one good thing out of covid was so many can work from home, I know a guy travelling around australia and still working full time!

Strange, why is the traffic so bad? Or is it just the mess from the $£$%^%%$ tunnel that is taking forever. It’s a disaster over my way, they have rerouted the freeway so many times, that we can actually get lost on it! The exits keep changing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: