Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Labor loves tax

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

Clearly the latter.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:08 pm

I love tax in the sense that I believe that it's essential to the maintenance of a liveable society and that I and all of us benefit directly from where those taxes are directed (healthcare, education, social welfare, old-age pension, public transport, housing and so on). So, no, I don't resent being taxed one bit. So long as taxes are set at appropriate levels to ensure that everyone can pay what they can afford, what's there to complain about?

Tax is not a necessary evil, but a clear social good. That shouldn't be a controversial view, I hope! Would anyone here really trade a lower tax deduction for, say, an American-style healthcare system where a woman gets billed over $10,000 for giving birth in a hospital without insurance? As Joe Biden would put it, "C'mon, man" Laughing

To be clear, I'm not surprised that right-wing libertarians and other proponents of small government hate being taxed; that's their ideology, and they're entitled to it! I don't see why the rest of us should moan about it, though. Be thankful that you live in a country where a semi-decent taxation system exists – I know I am.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:25 pm

Nup, Tax is a necessary evil. It's how Governments get revenue to provide services and it's their responsibility to use it responsibly, for the social good. They should take no more than they need to and the public service should be no bigger than it needs to be, not bloated and inefficient.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:30 pm

Government efficiencies can (and should) always be addressed, but that’s not necessarily tied to a higher or lower tax rate. I don’t think we’ve ever reached a point where all areas of public need have been satisfied and additional government spending is superfluous. I think it’s reasonable to assume that across-the-board tax cuts will inevitably lead to important services being underfunded. And if, as Woods of Ypres points out, the system isn’t fair, that should also be corrected.

This is why the negative gearing rort, for instance, drives my generation crazy. We see areas of need, and then we also see wealthy people with multiple properties getting chop-outs that do nothing to aid the economy but only incentivise property hoarding. It’s a tax concession that isn’t needed, and that just increases the burden on the rest of us.

It’s a complicated (and ever-shifting) equation to balance all this, but balance is essential and governments need to be constantly striving for it. Taxing smartly and fairly is key to that.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:53 pm

There's nothing fair about the system, there's winners and losers , but overall our system isn't bad. Could be better but could be worse. There's a balance between how much the Goverment(s) should intervene and how far they should stand back. Employing more people in the Public Service (eg, Victoria) doesn't mean more stuff gets done, it can actually have the opposite effect.

Get over the negative gearing "rort", without it there wouldn't be as many rental properties and housing prices wouldn't be more affordable.

Blame Governments, of both colours and both state and federal if you want for basically abandoning public housing for the notion of encouraging middle class home ownership, a script that goes back many decades,

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:36 pm

To get things (somewhat?) back on topic, here's a piece I just saw this afternoon from a couple of people from the Grattan Institute:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/12/australia-is-not-a-high-tax-country-so-why-cant-we-have-a-conversation-about-the-t-word

Quote:
First, despite often-repeated claims that Australia is a “high-tax country”, we are actually towards the bottom among industrialised nations. Based on 2019 data and including state taxes, we are the eighth-lowest country in the OECD for tax collection relative to our economy’s size, with tax revenue at 28% of GDP compared with the OECD average of 33%. Closing that gap alone would be enough to foot the eye-popping Aukus submarines bill in less than three years.

Second, our supposed heavy reliance on personal income taxes is overegged. Unlike Australia, many of our economic peers require their citizens to make social security contributions in exchange for benefits when times get tough – much like an income tax. Once these contributions are factored in, Australia’s taxes on individuals are actually lower than the OECD average, both in terms of the share of tax revenue and relative to GDP. Even if you count our compulsory super contributions – which are more like savings than a tax, since they go into individual accounts and not a pool to share with others – our taxes on individuals would still be lower than the OECD average.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:24 pm

I broke my rule about the Guardian and read that. I'll wash my hands in a minute.

I'm not sure if they're comparing apples with apples there. In many of those countries, the Social Security is higher than the personal income tax component.

How many of those countries pay a generous government (social security) aged pension on retirement? Use France as an example, from what I can figure out, once you turn 65 you get an aged pension, no asset test, based on 50% of your highest average salary. That's baasically a compulsory (and inefficient) superannuation scheme and an ongoing expense to their government that ours doesn't have, because we have employer funded super.

If you ignore the Social Security component and just look at the Personal income tax piece, we are quite above the OECD average.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:36 pm

What?!? a new tax.......

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11959547/Treasurer-Jim-Chalmers-vows-vaping-crackdown-young-users.html

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:27 pm

So you think vaping is good for you,do you? You do read some interesting comments in this place,but not interesting in a good way.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:38 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
So you think vaping is good for you,do you? You do read some interesting comments in this place,but not interesting in a good way.

If was not good for you, would the Government not ban it, or make it illegal. Instead, Labor look at it as a new tax opportunity.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:11 pm

doriswilgus wrote:

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-encourage-smokers-swap-cigarettes-vapes-2023-04-10/#:~:text=Health%20service%20figures%20show%209,of%20vapes%20to%20under%2018s.

Vaping may not be good for you, but according to the British government, its a lot better than cigarettes

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:33 pm

I think Australian health authorities have a very different view of vaping compared to their British counterparts ^They claim that it’s just trading one form of nicotine addiction for another,and shouldn’t be encouraged in any form.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:54 pm

stui magpie wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-encourage-smokers-swap-cigarettes-vapes-2023-04-10/#:~:text=Health%20service%20figures%20show%209,of%20vapes%20to%20under%2018s.

Vaping may not be good for you, but according to the British government, its a lot better than cigarettes

it is,

but the scary thing is making it in juicy fruit flavours to get kids hooked.

god knows i $$%^%%$ hate second hand smoke, at least vap smoke. while annoying, doesnt make my hair stink and destroy my lungs! im all for that!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:17 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
I think Australian health authorities have a very different view of vaping compared to their British counterparts ^They claim that it’s just trading one form of nicotine addiction for another,and shouldn’t be encouraged in any form.

you're correct on that, but it's a stupid approach IMHO. Too many absolute wowsers in the medical lobby groups

As it said in the article I posted, ciggaretes are the only legal product to buy, that if used correctly, is likely to kill you. Vaping isn't.

So if you trade one nicotine addicition for another that has materially less harmfull side effects, surely that's a win?

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:44 pm

give me a cigarette over a vape any day, at least a cig won't give me wet lung, lipoid pneumonia and god knows what else
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: