Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Censoring old kids' books

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:06 pm
Post subject: Censoring old kids' booksReply with quote

I’m surprised nobody's mentioned this here yet, but this has been a big story over the past few days: the decision by Puffin and the Roald Dahl estate to release "sensitive" re-edits of his books.

https://theconversation.com/roald-dahl-rewrites-rather-than-bowdlerising-books-on-moral-grounds-we-should-help-children-to-navigate-history-200254

We’ve been here before, of course, with Enid Blyton back in the '90s, and indeed it's been pointed out that even Dahl's books themselves were changed in his lifetime (the Oompa Loompas were African pygmies rather than fantastical small orange people in the first edition of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).

For whatever it's worth, I've never been a huge fan of Dahl – I often found his stories unpleasant and mean-spirited, a disposition that seems to have been reflected in his own life (he was a rabid anti-Semite). Much of what has been changed is related to things that I disliked, such as his portrayal of overweight people as loathsome and disgusting – most of which is gone now, although apparently Augustus Gloop is referred to in the new books as 'enormous' rather than 'enormously fat', which seems to miss the point somewhat!

Like (I assume) most people, though, I'm not remotely impressed by any of this. Firstly, I hate the notion that you can change attitudes by wallpapering over the past (which, of course, is where books from decades gone by come to us from, and also what they signify), and the idea that artworks should be meddled with to reflect changing values. I appreciate the arguments that this isn’t quite censorship because the old versions of the books are still widely available in libraries and second-hand bookshops, and that making a new version of something doesn’t erase the past. People might reasonably point to the many versions of old fairy tales that exist, or "director's cuts" of movies. So I guess the issue isn’t that we ought to be treating works of art as sacred texts that can’t be meddled with, but that the reason you’re doing it matters. And if it’s effectively Bowdlerisation – sanitising works by smoothing off their edges and removing their bite – then that’s not treating readers with all that much respect, and feels not unlike the older, more heavy-handed interventions by censors that we'd hopefully left behind.

That’s my take, anyway. What do you guys make of this?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My view on this has shifted a bit, I don't have a problem with it in this context.

I see it as very different to re-writing classics which attract older readers, just trying to make kids stories better for Kids these days.

If I'm reading a bed time story to my grandson, I don't want his ears pricking up at words that aren't considered acceptable nowdays and ruining the moment by having to have the conversation about how this is an old book and what they said back then isn't how we do it now, I want him to enjoy the story.

I'm not a huge fan of Dahl, not because I have anything against him, just because I never ready any of his books, not myself or to my kids.

Yes there's a risk of people going way OTT, but these are kids fantasy books. If you can tweak a few words here and there without changing the story and therefore make the story an easier read for a new generation, then why not?

I could just imagine the look my Grandson would give me if I was reading Noddy and Big Ears and read the line "Noddy was feeling a little queer".

If they have a problem with using the word "fat", I'd rather use the clinical term "Obese" rather than enormous

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:46 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I could just imagine the look my Grandson would give me if I was reading Noddy and Big Ears and read the line "Noddy was feeling a little queer".

Funnily enough I did read the original versions of Noddy, the Faraway Tree series and The Famous Five to Ingmar and I never thought to skip over words like "queer". I don’t think he would have heard the word in any other context at that point, so there was no real room for confusion – and if he had, I don’t think it would have been hard to explain.

What I find harder to deal with is old-fashioned casual racism, fatphobia and so on. There were a few passages I skipped over when reading books for those reasons, wherever they seemed gratuitous and added nothing to the story, but I do wonder if it would have been better to confront it head on. I understand it can distract from engagement with the story, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the experience is being ruined. Stopping and talking about things that just happened in a story or discussing them after the chapter is finished can all be part of the experience I reckon; it encourages critical engagement with the text and opens up a space for any and all questions. Kids of primary school age, at least, are very capable of active reading.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:15 pm

I loved The Faraway Tree when I was a young kid, not so much the Famous 5, I sort of skipped to The Hardy Boys.

If you're reading to the kid during the day, I agree the opportunity is there to discuss things, but if I'm reading to my Grandson at night when he's in bed, I'm not looking to stimulate debate.

When he was last over, I read him The Dingo Pup by Banjo Patterson from a book I was given in 1970 called "The Animals Noah Forgot" and changed some of the words as I was reading to aid his understanding.

eg, opening line, "Twas the Dingo Pup to his Dam that said" I read as "It was the Dingo pup to his mum that said".

Changing a few words to aid understanding for a young kid is harmless provided it doesn't change the story. How old is Ingmar now? My grandson is 7 so I think similar age?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:09 pm

Yep, he just turned eight in November. Probably same year level at school, I’m guessing (year 2)?

I think changing old-fashioned or less commonplace words to something more comprehensible can be a sensible approach. Could also be an opportunity to help them expand their vocabulary through a quick explanation (e.g. "dam – that means mother"), but agree that time and context matter.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:02 pm

Ty just started Grade 1 this year. Considering his 2 years prior to ending up with my Daughter, it's amazing that his teachers rate him right were he should be for his age.

He's be in the bottom of his class though because he's in a good school with a lot of smart kids who haven't been through what he has, but he's holding his own largely through latent intelligence.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:18 pm

I think no one posted on here because no one is surprised by the global cancel culture - and although it is not being banned, it is being censored so it doesn't offend.

It's all a part of the left's campaign to homogenise humans. We are being told how to think and being told what is offensive.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:32 pm

This article offers a compelling argument for why blaming the left or cancel culture for stuff like this misses the point:

https://popula.com/2023/02/20/roald-dahl-sensitivity-and-copyright/

Quote:
I dislike the alterations very much, but they were made for business reasons, not literary ones, and so the conversation has missed the point, so far.

These books were edited because of a decision made by their rightsholder and publishers, whose aim is to sell these new books to modern readers whose tastes have grown substantially more humane, more intelligent and more inclusive than they were when I was a kid, and we all delighted openly in the various grotesque fates that befell Dahl’s hapless victims. I don’t know that changing the description of Augustus Gloop from “enormously fat” to “enormous” will do much to alter the essential viciousness of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’s tontine-like atmosphere of brutality and dread, but in the current atmosphere of book bannings, (real) censorship and generalized panic around children’s books in schools and libraries, it’s not surprising that big publishers would take steps to keep their wares as inoffensive as possible. Ka-ching!

In the case of Dahl’s books, though, the fact is that these publishers and rightsholders are still trying to profit from stories that should have entered the public domain long ago, where their barbarities could remain in the soft-focused, sepia tones of the bad old days. Dahl’s stories really are anachronisms, curiosities that belong in history’s attic along with all the other crazy, bloodthirsty, misogynist and racist literature—which it is imperative to keep around, for context, as well as the wonders, horrors and, yes, the pleasures of reading it all. How else can we understand these writers as they really were? How else are we supposed to remember how things used to be?

But modern copyright laws favor profiteering at the expense of the natural evolution of literature, and it’s the copyright laws that have made these foolish dust-ups more or less inevitable. James and the Giant Peach was first published by a card-carrying Global Elite member of the patriarchy in 1961, at the pinnacle of that era’s insouciant cruelty, you say? Its (incredibly clever) prose is jarring to the modern parental ear—its point of view woefully out of step? Too bad!! The publishers, and the author’s estate, will continue to pump the last drop of milk that can be tortured out of their menopausal cash cow anyway.

Had the (not great, but better) pre-1976 copyright laws still been in effect, James and the Giant Peach would have entered the public domain in 2017—56 years after its first publication. In that case, starting six years ago, anybody would have been free to alter and publish the story in any way they saw fit: by modernizing the language or translating it into Chaucerian English, by softening the cruelty, or making it meaner still; rewriting it as a comic book, or an opera, or a YouTube performance. James and the Giant Peach is a very weird classic that really belongs, not to today’s young readers, but to the generations of older people who grew up on it, and who might have a lot of interesting new things to make of it. But none of that is possible now, because its owners alone control the fate of this story, and they decided to wreck it—just a bit, they say—to force it to fit in with the commercial requirements of modern publishing.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:38 pm

^ it doesn't miss the point. It actually recognises the changes needed to appeal to the homogenous snowflake generation who despite being told how unique and special they are, are just a bunch of lemmings.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:40 pm

This one was in our primary school library: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/17824/17824-h/17824-h.htm

Try doing critical engagement with that text!

One site in Australia has been doing it's best to keep golliwogs going: https://allthingsgolliwog.com.au/

I don't see much merit in modifying the original versions. I suppose we could also take Shylock out of The Merchant of Venice, too (and probably someone already has). As for modernising the language in new editions, I see the merit in making works written in archaic language a bit more accessible but I actually prefer people to produce new works.

It becomes a serious probem in the performing arts. A couple of examples should suffice. Starvinsky's Petrushka is one of the greatest ballets ever written - and both deeply moving and tragic - but there is a "bad Moor" (the three lead roles are all, of course, puppets who come to life) puppet, who is usually danced in "blackface". Here's an extract from Nureyev's fantastic 1976 production (him as Petrushka, of course - Charles Jude, former Principal with the the Paris Opera Ballet is dancing the Moor): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjkmX21VYeU

If the Moor were replaced in Petrushka, it wouldn't be Petrushka anymore.

I know there is a push to rename one of Debussy's most famous children's works - and I understand why - but there are people who seriously suggest it ought not now be performed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cnm6eeAOzo

I don't think there's much doubt that Debussy's music was depicting a golliwog minstrel. To take the golliwog out of The Golliwog's Cakewalk, though, you'd have to change the meldoies, rhythms and harmonies. I'd much rather people not now write new piano pieces about golliwogs cakewalking but there's no merit in trying to change Debussy's brilliant work, still less in pretending it never existed or is about something else.

Then, there's the whole "orientalism" thing with The Pearl Fishers and Madama Butterfly. I suppose it would be possible to remove brownface pseudo-Sri Lankans singing Au Fond du Temple Saint https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3rf_lFcHzw or real Italians with funny eye makeup singing Un Bel Di https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1woH96ROG-c from the operatic reportoire but the World would be a much stupider place if we did that.

Better to leave these things as they are and focus energy on not creating new works that would definitely be racist/fattist/whateverist now.

If you got to the end of that rant and looked at all of the links, you deserve to see this short video of the best bass player Glen Waverley ever produced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2L812JV98

Last edited by Pies4shaw on Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:43 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
I think no one posted on here because no one is surprised by the global cancel culture - and although it is not being banned, it is being censored so it doesn't offend.

It's all a part of the left's campaign to homogenise humans. We are being told how to think and being told what is offensive.

Lol 😄 I have been a leftie since my teens. Never voted for the right because to me, being a swinging voter is like changing your support from Collingwood to Carlscum 😱 🤯 😲 I don’t even know how to homogenise milk let alone humans. If you know you would know what a laugh it is to accuse me of being told what to think!! 😁 😄 😆 I’m true to myself, even though it sometimes put me in some danger and when employed, to the utter chagrin of DHHS’s loosely called management 😀 So to me you are talking typical right wing wank like my feisty mate here does 😜

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:18 pm

Good post, P4S. Agree with all of that. I’m fine with "remixes" if they serve a purpose – homage, satire or whatever – but trying to pass off a sanitised version as the real thing is a different matter. I guess that’s the biggest problem here from my perspective.

What'sinaname wrote:
^ it doesn't miss the point. It actually recognises the changes needed to appeal to the homogenous snowflake generation who despite being told how unique and special they are, are just a bunch of lemmings.

It’s a bit unclear which generation you’re talking about (the Gen Y parents who are most likely buying the books for their children, or the Gen Z and younger kids who are the main audience?), but either way that’s a massive generalisation. Values may have shifted in ways you don’t like, but who’s to say today’s twenty/thirtysomethings are any more homogeneous and conformist than those who were around at the time of the first publication of Dahl’s books? We are all oriented toward the dominant values of our time, to some extent or other – and if sensitivity and inclusivity rather than "tough love" is more valued in this day and age, I’m not sure that’s as awful as you make it sound.

In any case, anecdotally, most of my fellow members of the "snowflake" generation that I’ve heard talking about this think that these changes are ridiculous too. Perhaps we’re in the minority and this is purely a matter of supply and demand, but I’m sceptical.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:33 pm

Seems this is moving beyond kids’ books now:

https://www.theage.com.au/culture/books/james-bond-novels-rewritten-to-remove-some-racial-references-20230226-p5cnmr.html

Again, I have no interest in Bond (books or films), but this is disturbing to me. I really do think that these "sensitivity readers" (two-bit censors, essentially, no more sophisticated than people putting pants on Greek statues) are being brought in for one reason and one reason only: to ensure the IP’s ongoing profitability and market position. As I think the article I posted above put it, it’s essentially a crude facelift.

Books, like people, should be allowed to grow old as nature intended – showing their wear and tear, visible in their distance from current social norms – rather than walking around the local high school with a skateboard slung over their shoulder saying "How do you do, fellow kids?". I only hope that this is merely a fad that soon runs out of steam, rather than our new reality.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:45 pm

I have more of a problem with this. I read most of the original Ian Fleming James Bond books when I was a teen. Even then they were dated and hardly literary masterpieces.

Most of the movies made in the last 30 years weren't based on his books so I don't see the appetite there to go back and read the originals. Seems like a shameless marketing exercise. Surely it would be preferable to simply put a disclaimer in new print runs that these books were written in a time when attitudes were different and the language in some parts is reflective of that time and needs to be read in that context.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:06 am

Shameless marketing exercise is right – particularly now that the publisher has (partially) backflipped and decided to make the original versions available alongside the new expurgated ones. I expect they're laughing all the way to the bank.

David Mitchell nails it:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/26/updating-roald-dahl-same-old-story-david-mitchell

Quote:
Puffin said they made the changes so that the books “can continue to be enjoyed by all today”. How refreshingly candid. Substitute the word “enjoyed” with “purchased” (a process they’re presumably comfortable with) and we have the truth. There is nothing soft about making these changes at all – it is commercially ruthless. The recent announcement that the publishers will now keep the original versions in print as well is equally so: they’re frightened of the anger in the marketplace and are trying to placate all possible buyers.

Dahl’s publications are extremely lucrative. In 2021, his literary estate was bought by Netflix for £500m. So, despite the writer himself being more than three decades dead, his market share must not be allowed to diminish. Hence the major disadvantage that dead authors’ work previously suffered from – the fact that it dates – has been removed. It can all be rewritten. The huge plus of brand recognition that famous dead authors’ estates enjoy now has no compensatory downside. On the contrary, they can morph to suit the mores of any era – so much more accommodating to market forces than those pesky living authors with their obstructive artistic concerns.

It’s so empty and grasping. Ideas must be earnestly exploited to the full: remade, have sequels and prequels spun out of them, moulded to changing tastes. If you haven’t made all audiences absolutely sick of any intellectual property you control, you’re wasting money.

The saving grace here is that the current round of Dahl rewrites are tin-eared and dreadful. This attempted future-proofing may have ruined those books, like solar panels on a listed building. Perhaps some new stories will accidentally get a chance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: