Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sky News Bashing NDIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
I think "failure" is too strong a term, it has achieved and continues to achieve many of it's objectives, it's just being milked by a minority.

The balance is, if you tighten things up to prevent the milking, you create more bureaucracy and make it harder to navigate for the majority of genuine cases and situations.

Exactly, same as for most benefit schemes, always someone to ruin it

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:04 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
think positive wrote:

Whatsinaname they actually don’t sign a blank cheque, the audiologist has to do multiple tests to see which level of hearing device is needed, not everyone needs or gets the top shelf one. I did because I’m around 70-80% deaf! But I didn’t get the waterproof ones! I wish! These tools all have to be justified.

It appears that while audiologists are doing multiple tests, once they find out it's NDIS funded, they are selling the most premium product.

Even Shorten has admitted that it's a failed system dominated by predatory gouges, in other words, it has been a failure and needs to start again.

Yet I look at it and think, I’ve suffered for years and gotten the best device I can afford, if the government is paying the whole amount then why not go to the top of the line?

I remember when we had to borrow to pay $3,000 for one level 3 device, now they fully fund level 5 and I’ve got one in each ear and it’s so much better, if I need level 7, or even better yet, waterproof aids, why not use NDIS for it?

Some might see it as using the system when you can get by with the lesser devices, yet shouldn’t it be about giving people the best quality of life?
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:57 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
think positive wrote:

Whatsinaname they actually don’t sign a blank cheque, the audiologist has to do multiple tests to see which level of hearing device is needed, not everyone needs or gets the top shelf one. I did because I’m around 70-80% deaf! But I didn’t get the waterproof ones! I wish! These tools all have to be justified.

It appears that while audiologists are doing multiple tests, once they find out it's NDIS funded, they are selling the most premium product.

Even Shorten has admitted that it's a failed system dominated by predatory gouges, in other words, it has been a failure and needs to start again.

Yet I look at it and think, I’ve suffered for years and gotten the best device I can afford, if the government is paying the whole amount then why not go to the top of the line?

I remember when we had to borrow to pay $3,000 for one level 3 device, now they fully fund level 5 and I’ve got one in each ear and it’s so much better, if I need level 7, or even better yet, waterproof aids, why not use NDIS for it?

Some might see it as using the system when you can get by with the lesser devices, yet shouldn’t it be about giving people the best quality of life?

No, it's not about best quality life at all and it shouldn't be. That's like saying the dole should help recipients live like billionaires. NDIS isn't a bottomless pit of money.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:38 pm

Well Bill also thinks the dole should be a lot higher, well he did when he was in opposition anyway…
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:57 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
think positive wrote:

No, it's not about best quality life at all and it shouldn't be. That's like saying the dole should help recipients live like billionaires. NDIS isn't a bottomless pit of money.

Easy to say when you’re not 80% deaf.

Imagine sitting in the corner in a room full of people watching their mouths move, trying to make the words out, and feeling utterly and totally alone. Imagine NEVER being sure if what you hear on a phone, or whenever you can’t read lips. Would you give a blind man a pound pup instead of a seeing eye dog?

I am so so much happier, I didn’t even realise I was having such dark periods. I just chalked it up to other life events.

Yes I could afford them. But mate we have paid plenty of tax over the years, I’m just as entitled to them as someone on a lower pay scale. We have forked out for 3 others previously before I was classed as eligible. All at over a grand a piece. The total for my aids was $7k at NDIS discounted price, mine are top ofthe range, but not waterproof, I wish! I’ve already had 2 panic attacks. What should I have been entitled to?nothing because I can afford it, or just enough amplification to make my presence less annoying for others?

You’re actually wrong about getting top of the range ones just because, the testing was arduous, and since everything is set up online, they can’t cheat easily, and why would they? I have 2 friends with lessor hearing problems, one has tunnel vision too, and his are level 2.

I’m not using my funding for the sake of it, I got the 2 things recommended, a rogering device and a tv device,plus an extra charger. I’m not using the occupational therapy money, or psych money. Which means next time my funding will drop. It’s a 24 month deal.

Yes people cheat, same with the dole, and it needs stricter management.

Just think, if that happened the money might be available to properly fund disabled and mentally challenged people to live their best life. And that should be a goal.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:32 am

Just because you've paid tax means nothing. Paying tax isn't some pre-payment for future government services.

As for top of the line, NDIS is like Medicare. You get a minimum level of care to give a acceptable quality of life. You don't choose your own doctor or hospital on Medicare as it's Government funded. It should be the same with NDIS. Funding should be based on restoring an acceptable quality of life.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:55 am

Medicare doesn't fund public hospitals, it funds your GP and tests.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:02 am

^ it's an irrelevant point Stui. It's still all Government funded.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:30 am

Yeah, but it works differently.

My understanding of how the NDIS works is that clients get assessed and get allocated a budget to be spent and categories in which it can be spent. If the top of the line hearing aid (or any other device) is within budget, why would you take a cheap one? Only logical reason would be to get 2 sets of cheaper ones rather than 1 set of topline so you had a spare.

In TP's case, she has been allocated budget for things that she won't use because she doesn't need/want them, so rather than spending money just because it's there, so if there's a problem with that system it's in how budgets are set in the first place, not in people using it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:55 am

What'sinaname wrote:

Just because you've paid tax means nothing. Paying tax isn't some pre-payment for future government services.

As for top of the line, NDIS is like Medicare. You get a minimum level of care to give an acceptable quality of life. You don't choose your own doctor or hospital on Medicare as it's Government funded. It should be the same with NDIS. Funding should be based on restoring an acceptable quality of life.

It used to be, and still is in someways, plenty of people still on some level of an aged pension, and even self funded retirees get a pension card.

Minimum level of care- so just enough so I can - what? What does that look like to you? 80% deaf is profoundly deaf, anything less than the best technology at this point means I’m still struggling, still having anxiety attacks. Or staying home and avoiding things so I don’t have them, getting into a deeper black hole, does that sound like an acceptable quality of life to you?

When I rocked up for testing, I had no idea i was eligible for NDIS, and I thought as per my last test when I got my last professional self funded hearing aids, I was only 30% deaf. I had no idea how bad my hearing is. Not until the test pair were switched on did I realise. I walked down the street and into shops just listening! To people talking,, to bags rustling when things were put in them, to my feet crunching on gravel, to so many things you take for granted. When I rocked up I fully expected to pay for them. I was told no, you are entitled to them under the NDIS scheme.

And I still feel guilty. And I still feel incredibly grateful for this gift I have been given. I won’t abuse it because I wasn’t raised that way. You may not think I’m entitled to it, I guess at some level I doubt it myself, but then I think why not? Cheers

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:07 am

stui magpie wrote:

My understanding of how the NDIS works is that clients get assessed and get allocated a budget to be spent and categories in which it can be spent. If the top of the line hearing aid (or any other device) is within budget, why would you take a cheap one? Only logical reason would be to get 2 sets of cheaper ones rather than 1 set of topline so you had a spare.

In TP's case, she has been allocated budget for things that she won't use because she doesn't need/want them, so rather than spending money just because it's there, so if there's a problem with that system it's in how budgets are set in the first place, not in people using it.

Correct on all counts.

Your total budget is made up of main devices, helpful accessories such as the rogering device, services, and plan management fees. So next time my budget for services such as therapy, occupational and mental health, will be dramatically cut because I’m not using them at all. It will only include funds for the audiologist and NDIS visits. I don’t have regular appointments set up,

You actually get a budget allocation on paper. I’m sure people abuse it. In fact I know people who do! But I shouldn’t suffer because of that, and neither should anyone’s doing the right thing. Part of it is education, and I can’t think of the proper word, but habit. Of trying to maximise benefits. . I’m not wired that way. If they had said you need level 2, I would have said ok, and been just as grateful for it, not pushed for technology I don’t need. I can’t speak for others.

Honestly, you can’t fake the testing, unless you purposely mispronounce the words you are given. Not sure how that benefits you, they are programmed to your needs.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:31 pm

stui magpie wrote:

That's what I am arguing. It's being exploited.

It's like when a builder asks you "what's your budget" and, surprise, surprise, the quote is at your budget, regardless of what it should cost.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:39 pm

Breaking news investigating newNDIS providers with criminal backgrounds, no surprise.

Our justice system makes it too easy for scumbag criminals, harsher sentences for all crimes, make it a deterrent not a slap on the wrist.

Ifuck8ng hate on artists

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: