Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ex-Collingwood players still doing the playing rounds

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:47 pm
Post subject: Ex-Collingwood players still doing the playing roundsReply with quote

I sometimes like to keep track of how former Collingwood-listed players are getting on at other clubs. This year, if I'm counting correctly, there are twelve former Pies in the system in total – let me know if there's anyone I've missed!

Tyler Brown (Adelaide)
Came on as sub late in Round 1, had a grand total of one handball and hasn't been sighted at senior level since. Seems to be doing okay in the SANFL, but might have to wait for some injuries at the Crows before he gets another chance.

Mark Keane (Adelaide)
Yet to play his first senior match for Adelaide. Apparently laid an impressive tackle in his first SANFL game, but haven't heard anything about him since.

Paul Seedsman (Adelaide)
Was ruled out of 2023 during the pre-season due to a concussion he suffered over twelve months ago. Hasn't played since 2021, and hard to know if he'll ever take the field again; at 31, it seems like time is against him.

James Aish (Fremantle)
Has scarcely missed a game since he crossed over four years ago, and is playing well as far as I can tell – has been named in their best twice already this season. Played his 150th match today.

Jonathon Ceglar (Geelong)
Has struggled to get a game since being picked up by Geelong early last season; only played once this year, in the loss against Gold Coast in Round 3. Is named as an emergency tomorrow.

Oliver Henry (Geelong)
Has played every game so far this year (including one where he was named as sub), and seems to be a fairly reliable goalkicker, kicking exactly two in each match bar one.

Jarrod Witts (Gold Coast)
Returned to the side from a two-week injury last week and was named among the best in their win over North Melbourne. Now 30, the Suns co-captain may be in the twilight of his career, but still capable of dominating in the ruck – had 51 hitouts in Round 1 this year.

Lachlan Keeffe (Greater Western Sydney)
Seems to have fallen out of favour with the new coach after being a regular selection last year – is stuck playing VFL along with former captain Phil Davis and hasn't played an AFL game yet this year. At 33, we may have seen the last of him at AFL level.

Max Lynch (Hawthorn)
Played his first senior game of the season last week, only to get concussed in the second quarter and get subbed out – unfortunately, this seems to be a recurring issue for him. Seemed to be doing well at VFL level before that, so I assume he'll get more opportunities as the season progresses.

Brodie Grundy (Melbourne)
Seems to be fitting in well with Gawn in the ruck there – has played every game so far and been named in the best at least twice.

Jaidyn Stephenson (North Melbourne)
Had a pretty rotten night tonight, giving away a double 50 metre penalty at one stage and only managing ten disposals in the Kangaroos' 90-point loss to Melbourne. Otherwise has played every game this season, is regularly booting multiple goals (including four against Brisbane in Round 5) and, given how terrible North is, presumably won't be under too much pressure for his spot.

Adam Treloar (Western Bulldogs)
Has played all bar one match this year (missing round 2 with a minor hamstring injury), and is racking up around 30 touches per game. Regularly appears in the best each week.

Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

How's Cal Brown going at Box Hill?
Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:15 am

Good to get this update. I can’t be bothered watching other games to find out.

List management seems sound enough overall, esp when Treloar and Grundy’s impact is discounted for cost. Henry was the loss.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:26 am

I still haven’t forgiven Guy for getting rid of Treloar. A player who really wanted to stay and play for Collingwood should have been kept on the list ahead of someone else. This is a very devising issue and I get it that a few Nicksters would strongly disagree with me and that’s cool 😎
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:30 am

Big T wrote:
How's Cal Brown going at Box Hill?

From the afl.com.au report of their win over our VFL side two weeks ago:

Quote:
While he's not on any AFL list at the moment, Callum Brown stood out again as he eyes a mid-season draft opportunity. The former Magpie finished with 36 disposals and seven clearances and now averages 32 touches a game in the VFL this season.

Otherwise, here’s the full VFL list, for anyone who actually wants to know Wink

Callum Brown (Box Hill)
Ben Crocker (Carlton)
Liam McMahon (Carlton)
Tom Phillips (Essendon)
Caleb Poulter (Footscray)
Jay Rantall (Footscray)
Michael Manteit (Southport)

Edit: I mistakenly assumed that Coburg's Jonathon Marsh was once ours – turns out that he's currently playing for East Fremantle in the WAFL, and this is just another guy with the same name.

Last edited by David on Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:54 am
Post subject: Re: Ex-Collingwood players 2023Reply with quote

David wrote:
I sometimes like to keep track of how former Collingwood-listed players are getting on at other clubs.

Lachlan Keeffe (Greater Western Sydney)
Seems to have fallen out of favour with the new coach after being a regular selection last year – is stuck playing VFL along with former captain Phil Davis and hasn't played an AFL game yet this year. At 33, we may have seen the last of him at AFL level.

I'd grab Keeffe back with both hands during mid season trade, first chance i got.
Bad enough we no longer have Magden is reserve.

Remember if Moore falls over, the wheels fall off our wagon soon after.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:43 pm

Not a bad thought, to be honest. Only trouble is that players can't currently be delisted mid-season, right? So I assume he's stuck with the Giants until the end of the year.

We could pick up Madgen if we wanted (as he's currently playing for Adelaide's SANFL side). But I'm guessing the club would be wanting to think more long-term, as they have in previous mid-season drafts with Noble, Johnson, Begg and Carmichael.

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:06 pm

Tom Phillips on the Bombers VFL list...what did we have him on, 400k by some reports...madness

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:26 pm

I didn’t realise we had so many players playing for other clubs.Although to be fair,many of them have long been forgotten.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:47 pm

It’s a good thread and your assessments are pretty spot on, David.
And just to clarify, not only can you not cherry pick from another AFL clubs list at the mid season rookie draft but as of right now, Collingwood don’t have a spare spot to add anyone on ( this could yet change if there’s a season ending injury, other than Charlie Dean )
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:18 am

Many thanks for this David.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:30 pm

David wrote:
Not a bad thought, to be honest. Only trouble is that players can't currently be delisted mid-season, right? So I assume he's stuck with the Giants until the end of the year.

That sounds correct; we'd have to offer them something/a selection of some sort, presumably for the upcoming draft. His delisting was a Buckley stuff-up.

David wrote:
We could pick up Madgen if we wanted (as he's currently playing for Adelaide's SANFL side). But I'm guessing the club would be wanting to think more long-term, as they have in previous mid-season drafts with Noble, Johnson, Begg and Carmichael.

Obviously doubtful it will happen, but hypothetically speaking...
Just to clarify - he can't be "re-rookied" can he?
He would have to occupy a spot on the main list?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:06 pm

Oh, that one's way above my pay grade! It is a rookie draft, so I assume all players selected have to immediately be rookie listed, but no idea whether Madgen's previous rookie listing(s) preclude him from being selected.

If I'm reading correctly, he would otherwise be eligible (as he did nominate for last year's national draft):

https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-confirms-date-for-2023-mid-season-draft-prospect-eligibility-135740/

Quote:
The league has confirmed eligibility for players wishing to nominate for the MSD, with two key pieces of criteria laid out:

1. Player must have nominated for the most recent National Draft.
• A player who nominated for the most recent National Draft but was not selected during the draft, and who committed for a further year as a 19-year-old Northern or NGA Academy Player is available to all clubs should they nominate for the MSRD.
2. Player who has previously been on the list of an AFL club (and are therefore not required to have nominated for the most recent National Draft). This refers to the following situations:
• Delisted player. A player delisted by a club cannot be reselected in the MSRD by the same club in the period immediately following their delisting unless they nominated for the most recent draft.
• A retired player and/or a player who has delisted himself and has not been on an AFL list for one year or more.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:06 pm

David wrote:
Oh, that one's way above my pay grade! It is a rookie draft, so I assume all players selected have to immediately be rookie listed, but no idea whether Madgen's previous rookie listing(s) preclude him from being selected.

If I'm reading correctly, he would otherwise be eligible (as he did nominate for last year's national draft)

Thanks for that clarification bloke; starting to make sense to me now.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:58 pm

Although It’s called the MSRD draft ( “ R “ stands for rookie ) if any club has a spot spare on its primary list, then any current player from their rookie list can be elevated onto that primary list and the new player chosen in the MSRD then fills the spot left by elevated rookie. The issue Collingwood have is that we currently have no spare spots available on either list because we have already replaced Deans long term injury with either Markov or Steene ( whoever was last picked )

Was looking at some VFL stats the other day and Callum Brown is averaging 34 touches a game for Box Hill this year. Doesn’t mean he’s an AFL player but he’s certainly dominating at VFL level ( sound familiar )

As for the MSRD, I reckon Sam Naismith ( former Swans ruckman ) at Port Melbourne will be one of the first selected this year, assuming he nominates of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7   

Jump to: