Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hawthorn's version of the Do Better report

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duggieboy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC have picked up the story - quite a detailed report, with an Adam Goodes clip thrown in for good measure.

Apologies no link
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:31 pm

Told you it wouldn’t take long for the ABC and News Corp to put Eddie Maguire on the front page and make it about him. Eddie showed up Caro’s “quality” of journalism too. In a nutshell, he questioned the ABC journo for only sending an email to the public address on the club website once and said it is not due diligence in contacting all involved. Caro disagreed and said it counts as a genuine attempt to contact Fagan. So now the ABC and Herald Sun are using it to paint Eddie as the villain.

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
tbaker 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:12 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Told you it wouldn’t take long for the ABC and News Corp to put Eddie Maguire on the front page and make it about him. Eddie showed up Caro’s “quality” of journalism too, sending an email to the public address on the club website once is not due diligence in contacting all involved.

How has Eddie become involved? And what's Caro doing now? Do you have a web link?

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:15 pm

Footy Classified last night, and Herald Sun today. It’s literally the Herald Sun’s top headline right now.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:50 pm

This is fascinating - when it was Collingwood's issue, the entire football world was throwing sticks and poo and calling us names. Now, it's Hawthorn's problem and suddenly the $$%^%%$ AFL CEO is in favour of a "wider review".

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/22/afl-boss-open-to-wider-review-of-historical-treatment-of-indigenous-players

The purpose of a "wider review" will, no doubt,. be to say that this was not as bad as Collingwood and make it our special problem, again.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:08 pm

^ Pies4shaw, exactly! It should have been an AFL wide review two years ago. A few indigenous players (former and current) have expressed this, including Matthew Stokes in the Age today. Called out the AFL’s inaction. And the Murdoch rags try to make it about Eddie Maguire again — looking at the Herald Sun website today and you’d think it was Eddie, not Clarkson and Fagan.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:59 pm

I really wish Eddie M would shut up for a change
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:24 pm

Seriously? He did nothing wrong. It was on footy classified and he was correct to say sending one email to a club’s public email address is not due diligence, especially with what was going to print. Russell Jackson sounds like an amateur accusing Eddie of smearing his name. Twitter is not journalism. Nor is making Eddie the bigger headline ffs.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:24 pm

think positive wrote:
I started at page 1, but skipped ahead.
The other 16 clubs need to do a review, and now.

But this is not an AFL issue. This is an issue in society. Eddie Betts story this morning shows it’s not over yet. He’s playing with his children at a public pool and is asked to leave because he’s making a white couple uncomfortable. The couple should have been shown the door and nothing , NOTHING should have been said to Eddie.

Now he has another wound, more scar tissue to bear.

I just read that on Fox, actually it was an old white couple who complained Eddie was making their grandchild uncomfortable, but that's semantics, I agree completely. They should have told the old couple that their grandchild clearly needed more exposure to different races and cultures, Eddie is staying, you're free to stay or leave.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:07 pm

Loved hearing on the news tonight that Hawthorn is leading the way in the AFL with their racism review. So brave and stunning. Trailblazers. /snark
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:16 pm

maurs64 wrote:
So with Clarkson refuting these allegations, does that mean he believes the First Nations players are lying? Why would they? What is their motive? Money? Infamy? I think it's a mistake for him to refute them publicly. He should be "no comment" until they are proven - or not. Has Fagan also said he's innocent & shocked????

I can't imagine Clarkson or Fagan saying these things to be honest.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:27 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/if-allegations-are-proven-clarkson-s-and-fagan-s-coaching-positions-are-untenable-20220921-p5bjwy.html
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:33 pm

glasseyevfx wrote:
I'm with you on the race issue. For it to be a race issue the behaviour needs to be targeted toward the player because of colour or race

Not necessarily. Failure to take into account cultural differences, expecting every draftees to be able to be treated the same as white private school city kids is indirect racism.

First Nations people are not only overly represented in prison but their children are also the same in out of home care.

I'm currently reading Eddie Betts autobiography, I recommend it as a read.

slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:33 pm

stui magpie wrote:
glasseyevfx wrote:
I'm with you on the race issue. For it to be a race issue the behaviour needs to be targeted toward the player because of colour or race

Not necessarily. Failure to take into account cultural differences, expecting every draftees to be able to be treated the same as white private school city kids is indirect racism.

First Nations people are not only overly represented in prison but their children are also the same in out of home care.

I'm currently reading Eddie Betts autobiography, I recommend it as a read.

I think that you are drawing a very long bow regarding indirect racism.
Differences between people/ players are not solely defined by race and to simplify cultural differences to a persons colour conveniently omits the many other aspects that contribute to a persons identity.
A current example are Jordan De Goey and Darcy Moore.
Same age, both drafted from Oakleigh Chargers, both went to private schools….but you would have to agree that they are vastly different personalities.
Would you need to treat an indigenous kid from the city differently to one that’s from remote Australia? How would you know how or what is appropriate to either?
It’s extremely difficult to know everything that could or couldn’t upset any individual which makes it even more important that indirect racism isn’t just thrown around carte blanche.
You only have to be married a couple of days to know that you can inadvertently say something totally innocent which offends your partner and all hell breaks loose 😁

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:22 pm

Worse if you marry a man
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8   

Jump to: