Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#10 Scott Pendlebury

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 133, 134, 135  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MardyP 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as he doesn't do this stuff in the pool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZyOxq4M33s
ktszyu1 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:18 pm

MardyP wrote:
As long as he doesn't do this stuff in the pool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZyOxq4M33s

Surely thats not real?

go pies 3 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:02 pm

[quote="MardyP"]As long as he doesn't do this stuff in the pool...

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZyOxq4M33s[/url][/quote]

hahahahahahahahahaha "holy shit" hahahaha
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:41 am
Post subject: Sorry PendlesReply with quote

I have been forced to concede that while Scott Pendlebury is a first class gun, surely a 10 year+ player for the Magpies, I can't see him taking out the Rising Star award this year.

I watched Joel Selwood play for Geelong over Adelaide today, and I swear I had my jaw flapping open in amazement at times. Have had similar reactions in other games I've seen him. Don't forget also, he's a first year player - Pendlebury is in his second. If we'd had a crack at Selwood in the draft, we'd have a few less clearance problems in the midfield - he had nine of them against Adelaide and his disposal is first class. Tough as nails, too.

I think Jake Niall has it about right in this piece.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/joel-selwood-follows-judd/2007/08/12/1186857346978.html

Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:00 am

Pendlebury lost the award when he broke his foot.

Rising Star is a Short-memories award and no matter what Pendles did for the first 11 rounds, he was always going to be fighting an uphill battle against a player who had had a better second half.

Despite still leading every stat that counts (despite being injured)...he won't win.

Interestingly re Selwood though, the word was we wern't going to take him even if he fell thru to 8. Heard that a few days before the draft, and i couldnt for the life of me figure out why....but the rumour at the time was that the Doctors examined his knees and the verdict was they were degenerative, and that the state they were in now was as good as they were ever going to get.

Not really an expert on that stuff myself though....all i see is a brilliant footballer who would have slotted in next Pendles and Daisy quite nicely.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:33 am

Selwood has been unbelievable in his first season, looks and plays like a mature 50+ gamer. Strength, poise and the kid has talent in spades.

Would love him at Collingwood, (oh the foibles of the draft), he is just the type of player we are lacking at the moment.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:36 am

No.
Jace Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:01 pm

I dunno, seeing how poorly we have played without him might show how important he is. If he comes back this week & we win by 10 goals he may still be a chance!!
Zakal 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:53 pm

I think we becry not getting Selwood now....but I think its a decision that wont so much be vindicated, but one which we will become more at peace with as time goes on.

KPP's are FAR harder to pickup than midfielders. Who was the last superstar KPP drafted by a side? Travis Cloke and Lance Franklin back in 2004. Since then we've had the classy midfidlers of Deledio, Polo, Rosa, Selwood, Pendlebury, Thomas, Murphy, Higgins, Jesse Smith, and even Petterd looks extremely good.

And it will probably turn out, that in time we realise that we were far luckier to get Ben Reid or Nathan Brown than we were unlucky to miss out on Selwood. Even though Selwood looks to be the far better player (so far), there will he plenty more talented midfielders to bob up over our rebuilding phase.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:17 pm

Zakal wrote:
I think we becry not getting Selwood now....but I think its a decision that wont so much be vindicated, but one which we will become more at peace with as time goes on.

KPP's are FAR harder to pickup than midfielders. Who was the last superstar KPP drafted by a side? Travis Cloke and Lance Franklin back in 2004. Since then we've had the classy midfidlers of Deledio, Polo, Rosa, Selwood, Pendlebury, Thomas, Murphy, Higgins, Jesse Smith, and even Petterd looks extremely good.

And it will probably turn out, that in time we realise that we were far luckier to get Ben Reid or Nathan Brown than we were unlucky to miss out on Selwood. Even though Selwood looks to be the far better player (so far), there will he plenty more talented midfielders to bob up over our rebuilding phase.

I'm not so sure about that Zakal - Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Selwood, Ablett - you need both, but the greatest players and teams tend to be ultra-classy in the midfield. It's a unique skill involving stamina, reflex speed, anticipation and vision. KPPs matter but I'm not convinced that they are harder to find than great clearance players.

Zakal 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:52 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Zakal wrote:

I'm not so sure about that Zakal - Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Selwood, Ablett - you need both, but the greatest players and teams tend to be ultra-classy in the midfield. It's a unique skill involving stamina, reflex speed, anticipation and vision. KPPs matter but I'm not convinced that they are harder to find than great clearance players.

Oh im not saying you dont need both...just that when you are rebuilding a team to a schedule, with only a certain number of picks per year, you need to time your run in terms of what players you pick when. We are still a few years away from our finishing our rebuild, and KPPs take longer...we happen to have had a draft that had a plethora of them...so we take them now. Id have to go over the draft lists more closely, but i still reckon an assertion that midfielders (even the clearance winning ones) are easier to come across than superstar KPPs.

Since 2001 we have seen the following:

KPPs:

Hansen, Seaby and Campbell Brown (hardly superstars, but the only thing 2001 really had to offer)

Goddard
McIntosh (?)
Staker (?)

Ryan Murphy (?)

Roughead
Franklin
T.Cloke
N.Ablett (?)
Patty Ryder

Mids

Hodge
Ball
Judd
Bartel(same draft, all super clearance players)
Dal Santo
Sam Mitchell
Gary Ablett Jnr
(Schnieder and Swan? do they count?)

Wells
Jobe Watson

Cooney
Adcock
H.Shaw
Tuck

Deledio
Polo (?)
Rosa (?)
Jesse W Smith

Murphy
Thomas
Pendlebury
Higgins

Gibbs (on hype alone)
Selwood
Petterd (injury makes him a suspect inclusion, but was very good prior)

Thats a grand total of 24 to 9.
Now there were a few names that were unlucky to miss out, but i was trying to keep the list as close to players who were or were likley to become superstars. Anyone with a question mark is suspect, anyone not included even more so. Sylvia and McLean have been great, but im not sure of the chances of either being a superstar. And in light of that, should really delete the names of Hansen, Brown, Seaby and McIntosh from the list of KPPs as i was so desperate to find SOMETHING, i included their names because they were tall. the latter 3 are ruckmen, only 2 are any good, and only 1 is really good and Hansen is hardly a superstar. (Neither are Schneider or Swan)

The only real 'superstar' KPPs to emerge over the 6 years are Cloke, Franklin, Goddard Roughead, Ryder in that order. And Ryder is lucky to make the list.

Compare that to the 2001 draft for mids alone. Hodge, Ball, Judd, Bartel, Dal Santo, Mitchell, Ablett....thats more in one year than there have been good KPPs in the last 6 years combined.

...btw i chose 2001 as that is as far back as AFL.com.au has "full draft lists" for...im not about to go hunting thru every clubs draft page just to padd the KPPs list by including Reiwoldt from 2000, because even then i know that Didak, Kerr, Coughlan, Kane Cornes and Byrgoyne were also taken that year so it would further skew the results in favour of the mids.
HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:58 pm

What if I said I was a person pretending to be a computer?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:03 pm

Zakal wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Zakal wrote:

Oh im not saying you dont need both...just that when you are rebuilding a team to a schedule, with only a certain number of picks per year, you need to time your run in terms of what players you pick when. We are still a few years away from our finishing our rebuild, and KPPs take longer...we happen to have had a draft that had a plethora of them...so we take them now. Id have to go over the draft lists more closely, but i still reckon an assertion that midfielders (even the clearance winning ones) are easier to come across than superstar KPPs.

KPPs:

Hansen, Seaby and Campbell Brown (hardly superstars, but the only thing 2001 really had to offer)

Goddard
McIntosh (?)
Staker (?)

Ryan Murphy (?)

Roughead
Franklin
T.Cloke
N.Ablett (?)
Patty Ryder

Mids

Hodge
Ball
Judd
Dal Santo
Sam Mitchell
Gary Ablett Jnr

Wells
Jobe Watson

Cooney
Adcock
H.Shaw
Tuck

Deledio
Polo (?)
Rosa (?)
Jesse W Smith

Murphy
Thomas
Pendlebury
Higgins

Gibbs (on hype alone)
Selwood

Now there were a few names that were unlucky to miss out, but i was trying to keep the list as close to players who were or were likley to become superstars. Anyone with a question mark is suspect, anyone not included even more so. Sylvia and McLean have been great, but im not sure of the chances of either being a superstar. And in light of that, should really delete the names of Hansen, Brown, Seaby and McIntosh from the list of KPPs as i was so desperate to find SOMETHING, i included their names because they were tall. the latter 3 are ruckmen, only 2 are any good, and only 1 is really good and Hansen is hardly a superstar. (Neither are Schneider or Swan)

The only real 'superstar' KPPs to emerge over the 6 years are Cloke, Franklin, Goddard Roughead, Ryder in that order. And Ryder is lucky to make the list.

Compare that to the 2001 draft for mids alone. Hodge, Ball, Judd, Bartel, Dal Santo, Mitchell, Ablett....thats more in one year than there have been good KPPs in the last 6 years combined.

...btw i chose 2001 as that is as far back as AFL.com.au has "full draft lists" for...im not about to go hunting thru every clubs draft page just to padd the KPPs list by including Reiwoldt from 2000, because even then i know that Didak, Kerr, Coughlan, Kane Cornes and Byrgoyne were also taken that year so it would further skew the results in favour of the mids.

Ok - that's data and I only had impressions. I know when I'm licked. Nice post - you know your football ! Still cannot explain why it seems to me that Collingwood have found strong KPPs (Rocca, Cloke, Presti, Clement) more easily than we have outstanding midfielders. Have we been lulled into false draft security because of Buckley ?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:05 pm

Zakal wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Zakal wrote:

KPPs:

Goddard
McIntosh (?)
Staker (?)

Ryan Murphy (?)

Roughead
Franklin
T.Cloke
N.Ablett (?)
Patty Ryder

Mids

Hodge
Ball
Judd
Dal Santo
Sam Mitchell
Gary Ablett Jnr

Wells
Jobe Watson

Cooney
Adcock
H.Shaw
Tuck

Deledio
Polo (?)
Rosa (?)
Jesse W Smith

Murphy
Thomas
Pendlebury
Higgins

Gibbs (on hype alone)
Selwood

Ok - that's data and I only had impressions. I know when I'm licked. Nice post - you know your football ! Still cannot explain why it seems to me that Collingwood have found strong KPPs (Rocca, Cloke, Presti, Clement) more easily than we have outstanding midfielders. Have we been lulled into false draft security because of Buckley ?

HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:06 pm

Mugwump wrote:
[quote="Zakal"][quote="Mugwump"][quote="Zakal"]I think we becry not getting Selwood now....but I think its a decision that wont so much be vindicated, but one which we will become more at peace with as time goes on.

And it will probably turn out, that in time we realise that we were far luckier to get Ben Reid or Nathan Brown than we were unlucky to miss out on Selwood. Even though Selwood looks to be the far better player (so far), there will he plenty more talented midfielders to bob up over our rebuilding phase.[/quote]

I'm not so sure about that Zakal - Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Selwood, Ablett - you need both, but the greatest players and teams tend to be ultra-classy in the midfield. It's a unique skill involving stamina, reflex speed, anticipation and vision. KPPs matter but I'm not convinced that they are harder to find than great clearance players.[/quote]

[b]KPPs:[/b]

Goddard
McIntosh (?)
Staker (?)

Ryan Murphy (?)

Roughead
Franklin
T.Cloke
N.Ablett (?)
Patty Ryder

[b]Mids[/b]

Hodge
Ball
Judd
Dal Santo
Sam Mitchell
Gary Ablett Jnr

Wells
Jobe Watson

Cooney
Adcock
H.Shaw
Tuck

Deledio
Polo (?)
Rosa (?)
Jesse W Smith

Murphy
Thomas
Pendlebury
Higgins

Gibbs (on hype alone)
Selwood

...btw i chose 2001 as that is as far back as AFL.com.au has "full draft lists" for...im not about to go hunting thru every clubs draft page just to padd the KPPs list by including Reiwoldt from 2000, because even then i know that Didak, Kerr, Coughlan, Kane Cornes and Byrgoyne were also taken that year so it would further skew the results in favour of the mids.[/quote]

Perhaps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 133, 134, 135  Next
Page 65 of 135   

Jump to: