Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Scott Pendlebury

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 133, 134, 135  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

When i say thirs rd. I mean our third selection in the draft. Definately not our first pick after the Priority round.

The future will hold the answer and i hope he does turn out to be better than the players selected in the top 10.

jlc

Carringbush72 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:56 am

Like 99% of kids drafted this bloke still has a long way to go to play AFL but good luck... he sounds like he has all the attributes to make it.

PS I am getting a little sick of the simplistic view of drafting some here have ... ie, saying we took McKee over Pavlich and missed such and such to take Danny Roach. 20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing! The draft is always a punt...

Cannibal 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:12 pm

And I'm getting sick of people saying the Danny Roach/Matthew Pavlich issue was a draft stuff-up. It wasn't; it was a trade stuff-up (which is why I cringe every year when trade week arrives and I have to read through all the garbage trades being suggested, all the time hoping we won't do anything stupid). We traded pick 3 in that draft to Richmond for Steve McKee and pick 7 (with which we drafted Danny Roach).

My argument all along has been that we should have held on to pick 3 and taken Pavlich, who was a junior standout, because the top draftees are generally very good footballers and the high picks therefore very valuable ones. Too valuable to be traded away, which is why they are so rarely traded away now.

Draft-wise, 1999 was a pretty good year for us. Josh Fraser, Rhyce Shaw, Leon Davis and Ben Johnson are all still with us. McKee didn't do too badly, but was serviceable at best. He still played 64 games. We also picked up Glenn Freeborn in the PSD and he played 83 games for us.

Add Pavlich, who has played 128 games for Freo since 1999, for McKee and that draft would have been a magnificent one for us.

The club which stuffed up in the draft that year was Richmond. They were the mugs who used pick 3 on Aaron Fiora and passed on Pavlich.

Carringbush72 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:23 pm

Good points, Cannibal.
I realise McKee wasn't chosen directly ahead of Pavlich etc. and that it was trade blunder. I was just using that one as an example. I was just venting frustration at some who get on here and say we should have had this player and that who turned out to be good because they were available when our picks came up.
If that was the case we should have had Hird, Chris Grant and every other player who was picked low down in the draft.
Anyway, good luck to Scott Pendlebury. Only seen him in one match, know nothing about him, but he must have something.

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:43 pm

Quote:
We traded pick 3 in that draft to Richmond for Steve McKee and pick 7 (with which we drafted Danny Roach).

We also traded Clinton King as well as pick three. At that time of the AFL, King was better than McKee. Sure was a trade bungle.

Every club has made mistakes. And who is to say we were going to take Pavlich, anyway? Richmond took Fiora....

Gems come from all over the draft - Goodes at 43 in 1997, Nick Stevens 25 in the same year (we took Wasley a pick prior) and Black in the 30's. After pick 20 is where the real recruiting begins...
EddieGold 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:20 pm

Johnson#26 wrote:
Quote:
We traded pick 3 in that draft to Richmond for Steve McKee and pick 7 (with which we drafted Danny Roach).

We also traded Clinton King as well as pick three. At that time of the AFL, King was better than McKee. Sure was a trade bungle.

Every club has made mistakes. And who is to say we were going to take Pavlich, anyway? Richmond took Fiora....

Gems come from all over the draft - Goodes at 43 in 1997, Nick Stevens 25 in the same year (we took Wasley a pick prior) and Black in the 30's. After pick 20 is where the real recruiting begins...
Cannibal wrote:
And I'm getting sick of people saying the Danny Roach/Matthew Pavlich issue was a draft stuff-up. It wasn't; it was a trade stuff-up (which is why I cringe every year when trade week arrives and I have to read through all the garbage trades being suggested, all the time hoping we won't do anything stupid). We traded pick 3 in that draft to Richmond for Steve McKee and pick 7 (with which we drafted Danny Roach).

My argument all along has been that we should have held on to pick 3 and taken Pavlich, who was a junior standout, because the top draftees are generally very good footballers and the high picks therefore very valuable ones. Too valuable to be traded away, which is why they are so rarely traded away now.

Draft-wise, 1999 was a pretty good year for us. Josh Fraser, Rhyce Shaw, Leon Davis and Ben Johnson are all still with us. McKee didn't do too badly, but was serviceable at best. He still played 64 games. We also picked up Glenn Freeborn in the PSD and he played 83 games for us.

Add Pavlich, who has played 128 games for Freo since 1999, for McKee and that draft would have been a magnificent one for us.

The club which stuffed up in the draft that year was Richmond. They were the mugs who used pick 3 on Aaron Fiora and passed on Pavlich.
Carringbush72 wrote:
]Good points, Cannibal.
I realise McKee wasn't chosen directly ahead of Pavlich etc. and that it was trade blunder. I was just using that one as an example. I was just venting frustration at some who get on here and say we should have had this player and that who turned out to be good because they were available when our picks came up.
If that was the case we should have had Hird, Chris Grant and every other player who was picked low down in the draft.
Anyway, good luck to Scott Pendlebury. Only seen him in one match, know nothing about him, but he must have something.

Mate, McKee shouldn't have gone for anything more than a second rounder. Yet we gleefully gave away a pick in the top 4. Pavlich was a junior Superstar and will now play 300 games. It has cost us two premierships already.

Picking Pavlich - That is not a raffle, that is something that was a no brainer.

The worst decision at the Collingwood footbal club in 50 years except for no one going to the airport when Jason Dunstall flew from Queensland to have a trial with us.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:05 pm

JLC wrote:
When i say thirs rd. I mean our third selection in the draft. Definately not our first pick after the Priority round.

The future will hold the answer and i hope he does turn out to be better than the players selected in the top 10.

jlc

For what its worth, I reckon the probability of this bloke being available for us at pick 21 was zilch anyway. The club made an awesome decision. He would have been snapped up betwen 6 - 10. We have got a bloody ripper here, ye of SUCH little faith Rolling Eyes There are instant champions in a National draft only once in a blue moon. I hate instant anything anyway, I'd much rather enjoy the journey watching them develop into champs at Collingwood, like I once saw with players like Millane and Daicos.....
EddieGold 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:14 pm

Lazza wrote:
JLC wrote:

jlc

For what its worth, I reckon the probability of this bloke being available for us at pick 21 was zilch anyway. The club made an awesome decision. He would have been snapped up betwen 6 - 10. We have got a bloody ripper here, ye of SUCH little faith Rolling Eyes There are instant champions in a National draft only once in a blue moon. I hate instant anything anyway, I'd much rather enjoy the journey watching them develop into champs at Collingwood, like I once saw with players like Millane and Daicos.....

and Doug Gott. Laughing
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:25 pm

EddieGold wrote:
Lazza wrote:
JLC wrote:

jlc

and Doug Gott. Laughing

Ahh Doug Gott!! Loved the bloke although he wasnt a champion in the true sense!! I STILL blame his unfortunate leg injury for missing out on a win in the 1977 tied grand final. He and Con Britt were superb backman in that era.
He was a sensatioinal cricketer too.
EddieGold 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:31 pm

Lazza -exactly - the moment Doug Gott went down in 1977 North took control of the game. It is still one of the saddest moments of my life cause the big No 34 was my first favourite player.

Doug Gott is the type of player all teams need not a superstar but binds and holds the team together. He was a very good medium pacer as well and played for Victoria.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:44 am

[qwuote]Mate, McKee shouldn't have gone for anything more than a second rounder. Yet we gleefully gave away a pick in the top 4. Pavlich was a junior Superstar and will now play 300 games. It has cost us two premierships already.[/quote]

Yes, it was a poor decision - one which may or may not have cost us a flag - who knows? I doubt that one man alone (Pavlich) would have singlehandedly won us the 2003 premiership.

All clubs have terrible decisions in their history - Mark Bolton at number three/four in 1997, Ryan Fitzgerald at number five in 1998....all clubs have shockers for one reason or another.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:23 pm

JLC wrote:
Lazza wrote:
JLC wrote:
Great he can play basketball with Fanning and be another project player like Walker.

I am a bit sceptical on this selection as i am with Thomas. Not sure why we didnt go with the obvious choices.

jlc

Do you also post under the nick, Eddie Gold Question Rolling Eyes

Enough said... Evil or Very Mad

Wouldnt you be sceptical after our recent draft history? Danny Roach, Luke Shackleton, Billy Morrison and Bo Nixon to name just a few. All of them came with big wraps but none delivered. I left out Davidson as he had the ability but was cut down by injury.

jlc

Different recruiters in there now. They seem to go alright last year. Hopfeully our picks will turn out this year.
jabso#5 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:56 pm

All you whingers are saying:
"We should of gone with the obvious choices".
The obvious choices based on what? Like 2 original mock drafts from people who MAY have good knowledge, and 7,257 internet opinions based on misintepreted quotes from these mock drafts and about 800 mock drafts written by people who have seen a handfull of TAC cup games and are mostly based on everyone elses mock draft and opinions.
They didn't call this an even draft for no reason, after Murphy there is a huge blanket over the next 10, even 20 players as to which are clearly the better players.
foxychick Gemini

jay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:28 am

Did anyone have a look at pendlebury's video on ctv? He lookss fantstic!! I'm excited!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:28 am

EddieGold wrote:
Scott Pendlebury is the best player since Andrew Bogut

You are a tosser!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 133, 134, 135  Next
Page 4 of 135   

Jump to: