Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#10 Scott Pendlebury

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 133, 134, 135  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a quality receiver not a head over the ball type player. Hopefully as he bulks up and matures he will get better in that area. He is starting to be targetted by the opposition as well. Mongrel is something you cannot teach it has to be there.
roar 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:32 am

Doesn't have to be mongrel, culprit, but he has to go when it's his time. And I reckon that is something he can learn.

I have faith he will improve in this area because he wants to get the best out of himself. Added maturity will also help.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:34 am

^^ agree we sometimes forget how young he actually is.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:51 am

If he wasn't so talented doubt we or Mick would be so willing to overlook this flaw in his game.

God help Johnson or L.Brown if they back out of a contest.

Pretty sure actually he didn't go hard enough on a couple of occassions Friday night with one if I remember correctly coming at a critical point in the game.

Whether it be Pendlebury or someone else make no mistake it will cost us a game one day when the stakes are at there highest.

When it's your turn to go you've just got to summon up the mental fortitude to do it for your teammates.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:26 pm

member34259 wrote:
More likely a result of his basketball upbringing. The boy is still learning the game and hopefully will learn that contact is part of AFL.

I get that feeling too as in basketball it is not unusual to grab the ball one hand and then move to evade. From an AFL point of view that looks bad though and that incident you refer to did look bad at the ground but was not really highlighted on the TV other than a passing mention. Fact the Collingwood still got the ball and got a goal soon after meant nothing was made of it.

Pendles does have courage, so just needs to be taught to get the basket ball side out of him and learn to really put the body in. His clearance work though is improving enormously.

Nathan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:27 pm

Happened right in front of me and i was embarassed for him. Surprised it was highlighted in the media over the weekend.

Pendles is my 2nd fav player (after Didak), but suicidal courage is not his thing. Will never go down as a G Brown, a N Maxwell or a S Burns (all of whom are\were suicidally courageous). But he is still a great player.

Gen George S Patton.
US 3rd Army.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Some interesting replies and I agree with what's been said. Glad no one has taken any cheap shots, constructive criticism never hurt anyone and I'm sure that Scotty, being the wonderful professional that he is would be aware of that aspect of his game and will do his best to eradicate any flaws. Now for more pressing matters, did I mention how ordinary that tash looked? Razz
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:45 pm

Footy teams are made up of all sorts.

Some are Head over the Ball players, some are receivers. No team can have 22 players play exactly the same way. In fact, a team with 22 like players, would never win a premiership IMHO.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:50 pm

Agreed Spoljar - Pendlebury is a more flashy runner styled player compared to the likes of Swan, Beams and OBree - but for his size and ability I would like to see more from him aggression at times. Overall the best is yet to come from the moustached monster.

www.facebook/the hybernators
drew1602 Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:12 pm

The good thing is after his initial poor effort in the marking contest he laid a tackle to cause a turnover which resulted in and end to end goal for the Pies ..I think he knew straight away his first effort was poor and he then went about making amends for it straight away......Everyone allowed to make an errot/mistake...its what you learn from it that counyts in the long run...Scott aint stupid..he will learn move on and contunue is upwards progression as an elite midfielder...
Trezegol 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:34 pm

Puting your head over the ball cannot be learned. You either have it or you don't. Pendles doesn't have it.

He's pulled out of marking contests about half a dozen times this year. The more he does it, the more faith his teamates will lose in him.

There are certain things that you cannot control on a footy field - courage is not one of them.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:57 pm
Post subject: Pendlebury credit where it is dueReply with quote

Lot of people have been criticising Pendles for not going hard enough at the footy, so i thought I would praise him.
Did anyone see him back into the on coming Scum player in that marking contest early in the last quarter?
Great to see that he put his body on the line.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Must've missed it but that's great to hear as I was a bit critical of him after the dogs game. Perhaps he was a little tentative after the knee injury and is now fully recovered.
PIES4LYF 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:17 pm

Pendlebury is a star! Before his knee injury(Remember he was ONLY out for 1 week) he was on avge 30 disposals a game and the last 4 weeks he has been back each of his games got better and almost seems to be 100% again. By the way thebaldfacts i agree and i saw the play you were talking about but he does this many times and i think he has from this season and is getting alot better (he is only 21) at becoming a inside mid aswell as a outside mid which is the perfect midfielder Smile
Mr Smith Goes To C'Wood 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:17 pm

Yes I noticed the Pendles play, was terrific. Shaw even went one better going back against the flight in all or nothing defence... with no thought whatsoever for consequence. Gee it was impressive. His whole game was seriously fabulous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 133, 134, 135  Next
Page 74 of 135   

Jump to: