Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Home Solar Panels/batteries.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Geezus, that's a lot of panels Shocked
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:37 am

Vanadium is going to take over from Lithium in time. Why do we call them lithium batteries? Only 11% of the battery is lithium. They have more nickel, cobalt or manganese (depending on type) in them than lithium.

THE VANADIUM BATTERY DIFFERENCE
Vanadium flow batteries are ideal for powering homes with solar energy. Compared to lithium batteries, StorEn’s residential vanadium batteries are:

Able to discharge fully at 100% through the battery’s entire lifetime—there is no degradation of capacity

Durable, with an expected lifespan of 25 years or more

Low maintenance

Sustainable, as the vanadium electrolyte can be reused

Cost-effective

Non-flammable
thanks to their water-based electrolyte

Non-explosive

Able to operate at low temperatures for both outdoor and indoor use

https://www.storen.tech/residential

https://www.storen.tech/30-kwh-vfb-battery

ASX company TMT is one of the potential miners of vanadium in WA I've taken a punt on Wink

Neighbour just installed a car charging point for their electric car (on its way) to their solar system. Couple across the road just purchased an electric car.
Gone from not seeing many around, to being surrounded by them.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:00 pm

With energy prices out of control thanks to glorious privatisation I put solar (6.6kw) on the house in July/August. The first bill just came in @ $101 Credit. The feed-in Tariff is 12 cents which is pretty good by today's offers. I have a bonus coming up and that will be a battery.

Waiting for two split systems to be installed. 8kw at the front of the house for the main living area and 2kw for the office and rear bedroom. Once that is done the gas central heating will be disconnected. The last bill was around $660.

Now the gas hot water is minimal as far as gas usage goes. I will wait to that dies before I head to a heat pump.

Gas Stove to Induction, well that cost can be around 6k if wiring needs done so that is another thing on hold.

Will I go an EV? No chance at the moment.
Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:36 pm

Hydrogen? Hydrogen? Bueller?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:47 pm

Culprit wrote:
With energy prices out of control thanks to glorious privatisation I put solar (6.6kw) on the house in July/August. The first bill just came in @ $101 Credit. The feed-in Tariff is 12 cents which is pretty good by today's offers. I have a bonus coming up and that will be a battery.

Waiting for two split systems to be installed. 8kw at the front of the house for the main living area and 2kw for the office and rear bedroom. Once that is done the gas central heating will be disconnected. The last bill was around $660.

Now the gas hot water is minimal as far as gas usage goes. I will wait to that dies before I head to a heat pump.

Gas Stove to Induction, well that cost can be around 6k if wiring needs done so that is another thing on hold.

Will I go an EV? No chance at the moment.

Yeah we are getting a split system put into the wall of the downstairs lounge next week . Our ducted is zoned, but it’s not zoned well! I’m downstairs later, I like to be warm, never cold, in winter the ducted keeps upstairs boiling and downstairs lukewarm! I did too good a job insulating the walls! Heat never gets in downstairs! I hate air conditioning, I rarely turn it on! I’d rather broil! But I do turn it 1/2 hour before hubby comes home if it over32!

Our solar has saved us a fortune, wish we put it in the beach house. Not giving up gas cooking til I have too!

And it’s now 369 days since I order my Hybrid RAV 4! Everyone else will have hover cars by the time iget it!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:12 pm

Sold my Territory and purchased a Hyundai Elantra and liked that so much that I purchased an N i30 Sedan at the beginning of Covid and I love it. Power and Fuel economy along with capped price servicing. Love the tech and safety features. My next car will be next year and I will see what's on the market.
Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:15 pm

Culprit wrote:
Sold my Territory and purchased a Hyundai Elantra and liked that so much that I purchased an N i30 Sedan at the beginning of Covid and I love it. Power and Fuel economy along with capped price servicing. Love the tech and safety features. My next car will be next year and I will see what's on the market.

I'm selling the children for an electric Porsche Macan next year.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:20 pm

^^Great Deal, think of the savings.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:17 am

I'm going to have to look at my feed in tarrif. Latest bill I've bought 200kwh from the grid and sold 400kwh back to the grid from my solar system for a net result of I have a $35 bill.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:42 am

stui magpie wrote:
I'm going to have to look at my feed in tarrif. Latest bill I've bought 200kwh from the grid and sold 400kwh back to the grid from my solar system for a net result of I have a $35 bill.
There needs to be an inquiry into feed-in tariffs. Most offer 5 cents and sell it for 20-45 cents. My mate's old system is still getting 66 cents.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:24 pm

Problem.with the feed in is that they recieve too much power (WA)from solar panels off peak. Why would they pay more for it.... bit like trying to put 100L in your 60L fuel tank.

Batteries are way too expensive and I think you'll find Culprit, won't have the capacity to run your A/C's at night, they are very limited, unless you spend circa $30k.

Having said that, I'm happy with my solar set up. Installed about 5 years ago and it's well and truly paid for itself. I recently enquired about adding a battery, but, as I said, there's very little benefit for the massive outlay, I'd need to live to about 150 to get anywhere near even.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:25 pm

New designs are coming through and at the moment it's approx. $1000 per kWh. Yes, that's too expensive, and in saying that it was $3000 per kWh.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:48 pm

So I just changed electricity plan, same provider.

I was getting a feed in tariff of 4.9c per KWH

I take a slight increase in the cost of the supply and in return I get a feed in tariff of 15c per KWH for the first 10 KWH per day. After that it goes back to 4.9c.

I didn't sit down with a calculator and work it out but considering I'm selling twice the amount back as what I'm using, getting more for what I'm selling should reduce the bill further. I'm basically not using any power from the grid in daylight hours anyway.

See how it works.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:54 pm

Sounds good. I have noticed plans increasing the feed-in tariffs. No doubt due to the amount of people who have switched to solar.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:10 pm

I taken the plunge and got 13.2kw system compromising of 30 panels plus a battery installed last Wednesday (Happy Valentine's day to me). There is only my wife and I at living here so it is a much bigger system than we need, but it is better to have more than you need rather than not enough, right?

My initial thoughts are that the system has exceeded my expectations as we are yet to use any power from the grid. Having the ability to monitor your electricity usage in real time is also an eye opener, who knew a electric kettle is such a power hogging device.

The thing I did not know is that our electricity distributor (PowerCorp) have set a maximum rate of 5kwh for feeding back into the grid for our area. If I had known that I would have went with a 10kw system instead. We did go bigger thinking we will pump more into the grid and save more but that was not to be.

It also takes Energy Australia up to 20 days to reconfigure your smart meter so you get credits for putting power back into the grid. This is done remotely (which is probably code for someone just needs to press a few buttons) so I am sure this is another tactic to milk a few dollars more out of us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: