Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bevan To Remain In World Cup Squad

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpie_mendies Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:39 am
Post subject: Bevan To Remain In World Cup SquadReply with quote

Bevan to remain in Australian World Cup squad
Australian Cricket Board - 27 January 2003

Michael Bevan will retain his place in Australia's World Cup squad, despite suffering a low-grade tear of his right groin muscle, the Australian Cricket Board (ACB) announced today.

National Selection Panel Chairman Trevor Hohns said Bevan, who suffered the injury while batting during Saturday's second VB Series final at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (25 January), was considered a vital part of the side's World Cup campaign.

"Like Michael, we were all relieved to learn that the extent of his injury was not as serious as first thought," Hohns said.

"Although he will take a few weeks to regain full fitness, the selection panel along with Ricky Ponting, unanimously agreed that he should retain his spot in the World Cup squad.

"It goes without saying that Michael is a key component of our World Cup plans, and with the relevant treatment, we are hoping that he will be back sooner rather than later," added Hohns.

Bevan's World Cup prospects were given a boost yesterday morning (26 January) after diagnostic scans revealed the injury would only keep him sidelined for two to thee weeks.

Michael Bevan said:

"Naturally when I first suffered the injury, I feared the worst and thoughts of missing the World Cup went racing through my head.

"But the groin felt considerably better by the morning and after having scans and speaking to Trefor James (ACB Medical Officer), things seemed a lot brighter," he said.

"It is obviously a big relief, and it's now up to me to do whatever it takes to get the injury right," added Bevan.

The Australian squad will depart for the World Cup on Thursday 30 January.

© 2002 Australian Cricket Board

The Pies for premiers 2003,2004 and for the next 50 years Blues for wooden spoon 2002,2003,2004,2005 and the next 50 years. Adelaide gets Carey and he makes them finnish 15th
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

i was very surprised to see bevan remain in the world cup squad after the injury he copped during the d/n match against the poms,if they were to drop bevan out of the squad because of the injury,who could they bring into the squad to replace bevan??

cheers bryan..!!

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:17 am

Michael Clarke would go straight in. If they thought of a more Bevo like batsman, it could be Hussey.

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:31 am

Big risk taking injured players to the World Cup IMO.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:39 pm

Seems like an unnecessary risk, considering he doesn't bowl anymore and has become the one Aussie fieldsman that opposition batsmen take on for that extra run.

With players like Hussey, Love, Clarke and Langer fit and in form, it does look risky.

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:07 pm

It does seem very risky doesn't it! Michael Clarke would have been perfect! Donny as for you mentioning Langer all I can say to that is BLAH!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: