Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Allan Border Medal

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:42 am
Post subject: Allan Border MedalReply with quote

Yep, it's that time of year again. The Allan Border Medal is live on TV tonight from 8:30.

Who will win?

Will my Matty repeat his success of last year, or will someone like Gilchrist or McGrath steal it from him?

I reckon Matty will win it again - he has been the most consistent performer.

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that. I had an accounting class last week and one of the people in my group has an association with the medal (as in helping out). They already know who wins before the medal count. As in the host of the show would already know.

Im guessing the same principal applies with the AFL and the Brownlow medal. Ive always thought that but i have had it confirmed. I don't think the actual player knows though ?

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:38 am

Adam Gilchrist is my pick. he has done alot this last year and deserves it. If not him then it will be Hayden

If your not bleeding Black and White, you don't truly support Collingwood!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:02 pm

Good topic and good to have you back, Kristin.

I'm not exactly sure how this is voted on. If it's purely on figures, Haydos will win.

Otherwise, Ponting's a big chance and Warney had a great year.

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:41 pm

Its on a 3-2-1 basis. As with the AFL the votes get audited before hand so every thing is legit. As with the AFL the outcome is known before hand.

My tip is Hayden in a canter

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:35 pm

GOOOO GILLY! I KNEW U WOULD WIN ONE DAY PLAYER OF THE YEAR SWEETY! I TOLD EVERYBODY!! They didnt believe me! My mum & dad were like "yer sure Alyssa" and im like "he will!" He got 18 votes and 18 is his number!!

YAAAAAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYYYYYYAAAAAAAYYYYYY
Love always, Alyssa xoxo

*~Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan~* *~Jarrod 4 Copeland 2003!~*

My SoNg Of ThE wEeK

"But oh how I feel so real, Lying here with no-one near, Only you & you can't hear me when I say softly, slowly, Hold me closer tiny dancer, Count the headlights on the highway, Lay me down in sheets of linen, You had a busy day today"
*Tiny Dancer- Elton John*
One Of The Best Days Of My Life- December 17th, 2002! I love you Jarrod Molloy!

[This message has been edited by Miss_Lisey_Molloy (edited 28 January 2003).]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Scotty Russell 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:14 pm

So who won?????

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:55 pm

Allan Border Medal: Adam Gilchrist

Test Player of the Year: Ricky Ponting

One Day International Player of the Year: Adam Gilchrist

Women's International Cricketer of the Year: Karen Rolton

State Player of the Year: Martin Love

Bradman Young Cricketer of the Year: Nathan Hauritz

Inductees to the Hall of Fame: Ian Chappell Lindsay Hassett

Donny.

MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:02 pm

It was a good coverage by channel 9 I was very impressed! However I wasn't happy with the fact that they didn't show everyone walking in which is the best part because you get to see what all the women are wearing and who the players have brought along etc! I also didn't see Slats which I was hanging out all night to see! I say bring back the repeat of the AB medal where Slats got up on stage and was singing with Jimmy Barnes now that was something! Congratulations to all the winners it was great! I am glad Gilchrist won the AB medal he deserved it!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:40 am

What I found stupid was that after all the votes were counted we could see who had won on the screen yet Richie still has to open an envelope to tell us. Just stupid.

Also can Tubby just read the votes, not make commentry on them.

The Alan Border Medal as we all know is a rip off of the Brownlow. What they need to do to improve it is rip it off a little more.

Fradam Wrote This
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:45 am

Hey Fradam. Some news for you mate. The brownlow medal count format was stolen from the Sandover medal format. Just thought you would like to know m8.
Cheers!!!!

If your not bleeding Black and White, you don't truly support Collingwood!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:38 am

For those of us who didn't know exactly how the AB was determined:

Gilchrist wins the Allan Border Medal
John Salvado - 28 January 2003

MELBOURNE, Jan 28 AAP - Acknowledging that 2002-03 had not been his best season, Adam Gilchrist was as surprised as anyone to win the Allan Border Medal tonight as Australia's cricketer of the year.

The wicketkeeper-batsman had indisputably been a key member of the dominant Australian Test and one-day teams.

But it was his limited-overs opening partner Matthew Hayden, currently ranked the world's No.1 Test and one-day batsman, who was the pre-event favourite.

Gilchrist polled 88 votes, to edge Ricky Ponting (84), Shane Warne (79) and Hayden (76).

"The award was a surprise, it's amazing, I really didn't expect it," said Gilchrist, who also won the one-day international player of the year award.

"So many guys had great years, Matty Hayden had a standout year, probably a better year even than last season when he won the award.

"So I think all of us were banking that he was going to be the man."

When asked if it had been his best-ever season, Gilchrist replied: "To be honest no, seeing from my reaction tonight.

Gilchrist nominated skipper Steve Waugh's century in the fifth Ashes Test earlier this month as his highlight of the season.

Personal high points would have included back to back unbeaten Test hundreds against South Africa.

The Allan Border Medal is still in its infancy, but Gilchrist said it was already something coveted by the players.

"It's grown in tradition in four years, it's grown legs," he said.

"It's got a little bit of history now if you look at the names already on the winners board.

"I guess the key ingredient with this one is that the players vote on it."

The previous winners were Hayden (2002), Steve Waugh (2001) and Glenn McGrath (2000).

The voting began on the tour of South Africa from February-April last year and finished with the VB Series finals last weekend.

Votes were cast by the players, umpires, match referees and media representatives on a 3-2-1 basis for each game, with an extra weighting given to the 11 Tests over the 27 one-day internationals.

Test captain-in-waiting Ponting (13 votes) was a narrow winner of the Test Player of the Year ahead of Warne (12) and Gilchrist (10).

Warne's chances were hampered by missing the last two of the 11 Tests in the voting period with a dislocated shoulder.

Gilchrist also won the One-Day International Player of the Year with 18 votes, one ahead of Hayden and Brett Lee.

He made 751 runs with two centuries at an average of 32.65 and a strike rate of 95.79.

Gilchrist also took 40 catches and made five stumpings.

But Gilchrist's Test average of 77.33 this season was the best in a team where Ponting and Hayden also averaged more than 60.

Donny.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:26 am

Gilchrist was a worthy winner and spoke very well

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:32 am

Lets hope this victory for Gilchrist can propell him to an awesome WC....he really holds the Key for Australia....if he bats well....the Aussies are on the front foot from the outset....

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:44 am

JLC, you think Gilly spoke well? I thought he was appalling! He stumbled over his words and kept repeating himself - I realise that he was probably shocked and nervous, but still...

And my poor Matty, you could tell he knew he was out of the running when he didn't get any votes for the whole Sth Africa series. Shame, shame, shame to those who voted!!!

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: