Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

World Cup Squad

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:02 am
Post subject: World Cup SquadReply with quote

The squad is:

1. Michael Bevan NSW
2. Andrew Bichel QLD
3. Greg Blewett SA
4. Nathan Bracken NSW
5. Ryan Campbell WA
6. Stuart Clark NSW
7. Michael Clarke NSW
8. Adam Gilchrist WA
9. Jason Gillespie SA
10. Brad Haddin NSW
11. Ian Harvey VIC
12. Nathan Hauritz QLD
13. Matthew Hayden QLD
14. Mark Higgs SA
15. Brad Hogg WA
16. Michael Hussey WA
17. Justin Langer WA
18. Brett Lee NSW
19. Darren Lehmann SA
20. Jimmy Maher QLD
21. Damien Martyn WA
22. Glenn McGrath NSW
23. Ashley Noffke QLD
24. Ricky Ponting TAS (Captain)
25. Andrew Symonds QLD
26. Shane Warne VIC
27. Shane Watson TAS
28. Cameron White VIC
29. Brad Williams WA
30. Damien Wright TAS

What do you all think of this squad? I still think Stevie deserves a spot...

It'll be interesting to see how Brett Lee goes in the one dayers in this series, as I feel he might be too expensive for one dayers, generally.

And, only 3 Victorians...typical!

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls

[This message has been edited by kristin5 (edited 04 December 2002).]
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Topic Kristin

Well i think Victorian batsman will struggle to make any squads as they play on bowler dominated pitches.

Personally i thinking Steve Waugh needs to tour in the World Cup squad. South Africa will be the team to beat and mentally Steve Waugh has it all over them.

i will post a more detailed reply at home

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:03 pm

Im dissapointed that Stuart MacGill, Steve Waugh and Shane Lee all missed out. They are all easily in the best 30 one day players in the Country.

My Squad would have been:

Michael Bevan NSW
Andrew Bichel QLD
Greg Blewett SA
Nathan Bracken NSW
Ryan Campbell WA
Stuart Clark NSW
Michael Clarke NSW
Adam Gilchrist WA
Jason Gillespie SA
Brad Haddin NSW
Ian Harvey VIC
Nathan Hauritz QLD
Matthew Hayden QLD
Mark Higgs SA
Justin Langer WA
Brett Lee NSW
Shane Lee NSW
Darren Lehmann SA
Stuart MacGill NSW
Jimmy Maher QLD
Damien Martyn WA
Glenn McGrath NSW
Ashley Noffke QLD
Ricky Ponting TAS
Andrew Symonds QLD
Shane Warne VIC
Stephen Waugh NSW
Shane Watson TAS
Cameron White VIC
Brad Williams WA

With Martin Love being very unlucky.

I don't believe that Hussey is a one day player and that there are beter one day batsman not in the squad that should be selected before him.

Shane Lee, although he hasn't been bowling lately is still up there. The selectors shouldn't not select him because he can't bowl at the moment. It doesn't mean he wont be able to in Febuary.

Cameron White and Justin Langer were lucky to get in, but they have both played good enough cricket recently to gain a position.

If I could have added another 3 players it would have been Martin Love, Brad Hodge and Dominic Thornely. Love and Hodge are straight forward selections and only narrowly missed out, and Thornely is only a young inexperienced player, but has played some great one day cricket recently.  

Email: gobbles21@hunglikeahorsefly.com
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:57 pm

Shane Lee is garbage. He has been tried but isnt a good enough bowler or batter to hold his own in the team.

Symonds is ok fielding and at slogging but he isnt good enough to be the 5th bowler, not on those pitches anyway.

I think Justin Langer is a must and i would place him to open with Hayden and let them take the new ball as the pitches will be fiery. Leave Giclhrist to come in later and do the slogging against the part time bowlers.

I think Nathan Bracken will do well as being a left arm bowler he will add variety to the attack.

J. Langer
M. Hayden
R. Ponting
M. Bevan
D. Martyn
A. Gilchrist
I. Harvey
S. Warne
N. Bracken
J. Gillespie
G. McGrath

You have 5 speicaliast bowlers and martyn and bevan if desperate.

Ideally it would be good if we have a few more genuine all rounders like a Kallis, Klusener, Pollock, Cairns, McMillan, Razzaq etc.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Bartros Scorpio

THIS ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:08 am

Guys lets just think about this Steve is a great test player but lets face it he is to old!!!! If we dont get some young blood into the international arena soon we will be like the West Indies or even like England!!! In about 3 years time,

When I read that artical saying Steve wants to be captain until 2004 what a joke he will be lucky to go on tour again!!!

Long Live the mite and power of
Shane Morwood (member of 1990 team,1988 Vic rep)
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:15 am

A couple of things -

I think Shane Lee is probably a better one day player than Brett. He is an all rounder (better batsman than bowler though IMO), whilst Brett gets knocked around off his bowling in the one day game and his batting is still quite inconsistent.

As for Stevie - sure, he is getting on a bit in age, but what does it matter? It's not like cricket is an extremely strenuous sport you have to be fit for! Most of it is mental and skillful rather than physical (unlike football), so there is no reason Stevie couldn't play on for a couple more years. I do agree that some of the youngsters need to be promoted, so we never go through a trough again like we did in the 80s when Lillee, Marsh and Chappell all retired at a similar time, but these young guys should be promoted as the others drop off, not as they're forced to retire simply because of age. When Marky Mark was forced to retire (I know, I know, I won't go into it again - suffice to say that I am still disgusted with the ACB for this!), they should have taken the opportunity then to promote a younger guy rather than a 30+ Lehmann...

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
Bartros Scorpio

THIS ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:43 am

I agree with you if that thing you said about Lehman aleast they could of gone for a younger player for example : Greg Blewett

Long Live the mite and power of
Shane Morwood (member of 1990 team,1988 Vic rep)
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:24 am

Ah, Blewey, another one of my faves. As well as Bevo! Strictly due to their talent as cricketers of course

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:52 pm

Pretty similar statistics in one day arena but i think Brett Lee is a match winner and the conditions in South Africa will suit him.

Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St

Brett 46 234 51* 16.71 0 1 82 5/27 23.29 1 4 0
Shane 45 477 47 17.66 0 0 48 5/33 25.93 1 23 0

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:13 pm

I'm a big Shane Lee fan. I could not find a spot to fit him into the starting 11, but he deserves to be in the top 30 one day players in the country. In his last match, just over a year ago he bowled 3 overs and took 0/11, made 25* at a strike rate of 227.27, and took a catch. Not a brilliant performance, but not that terrible that you can drop him from the top 30 players in the country a year later. He has still been playing good cricket for NSW lately.

Email: gobbles21@hunglikeahorsefly.com
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:49 pm

Sorry guys but I am happy that Steve Waugh hasn't been named for the World Cup! As for Shane Lee he hasn't even been playing for NSW lately so he most certainly shouldn't be playing!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:26 pm

I think they left Steve and Shane out so Slats would have someone to talk to when the boys go to South Africa.

Donny.
GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:38 am

LoL I will keep Slats company he doesn't need them!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:52 am

There's a stack of sentimental support around the country for Steve Waugh to be included in the World Cup squad but as he isn't even in the selectors' best 30, at this point in time, he'd need some spectacular performances to change their minds.

Last night's little classic (24 in 12 balls with 3 sixes) will not change things much even though the Sydney press will report it as if he hit a ton to snatch a win !! Lol.

Greg Blewett remains a very talented top order batsman and handy bowler (especially in the one-dayers) who will probably miss out. He is one of a few who would be considered ahead of Tugga even though he's already 31.

JLC, Shane Lee is certainly not garbage but as Mrs Tarrant says, he's not getting a game for NSW so that puts him a long way behind his rivals - Watson, Harvey, and Symonds.

MacGill is highly unlikely to even come near selection. With the other spinners named (Warne, White, Hauritz, Higgs, Hogg) all being better batsmen, you can forget MacGilla.

If they are going to take a reserve for Gilly, I'd go for Ryan Campbell. He and Haddin are not the next best keepers going round but are both dynamic batsmen with Campbell more likely to bat up the top.

There'll be plenty more written on this subject, I'm sure.

Donny.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:38 pm

Well the Poms would have trouble beating an egg at the moment !!

Justin Langer and Mike Hussey didn't harm their World Cup chances any in the Australia A win over the hapless Englishmen. I can tell you, the selectors have a high opinion of Hussey as a middle order batsman. His run-a-ball innings was of high quality and considering Oz A were 5/124, his batting (with Campbell and Bracken) ensured a competitive total.

Other WC squad members, Brad Hogg and Andrew Symonds, turned in good bowling spells

Donny.

[This message has been edited by MAGFAN8 (edited 09 December 2002).]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: