Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Murali a Chucker?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 5:11 pm
Post subject: Is Murali a Chucker?Reply with quote

The controversity over the legitimacy of Muralitharan's bowling action has raged for some time. We've also seen Brett Lee, Courtney Walsh and Shoaib Akhtar (and others) come under scrutiny for the same reason.

Below is that part of the no-ball law which pertains to this subject.

3. Definition of fair delivery – the arm
A ball is fairly delivered in respect of the arm if, once the bowler's arm has reached the level of the shoulder in the delivery swing, the elbow joint is not straightened partially or completely from that point until the ball has left the hand. This definition shall not debar a bowler from flexing or rotating the wrist in the delivery swing.

If you apply this criteria to the above mentioned bowlers (and plenty others) they all throw. It's almost impossible for off spinners not to (according to the above law), especially when they bowl the top spinner.

As for Akhtar, Walsh and Lee, seen from behind and in slow-mo, they look like they're shot putting many deliveries.

Merv Hughes reckons 80% of Test bowlers are chuckers - according to the wording of the law.

It's my opinion the law should be re-written. What's yours?

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Donny.
The wording of the law sux!
but most of them do. I think the wording of most laws should be changed. I agree with the laws just not the wording of the laws. They cause too much trouble

"I'm such a good lover because I practice a lot on my own." - Woody Allen
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:08 am

Not only should the wording of the rule change but the way the International Cricket Board conducts their testing should be changed as well...getting a bowler to bowl a certain amount of deliveries to determine whether or not he is chucking is pathetic....if you were a bowler under scrutiny you would make damn sure that you bowled the 100 deliveries legally....I personally think that this happened with Murali....he has one particular ball, the faster delivery, which actually does not turn much at all that is definately a throw, there is no doubt in my mind, and when tested he obviously left it out during the testing.

Then there was the excuse about his arm not being able to bend etc and that it was impossible for him etc...well if his disability does not allow him to stay within the confines of the sports rules then there is a disabled cricket competition he can play in that he would definately dominate...I know that may sound a little harsh, but there are a number of very talented sports people that just haven't been able to compete at the highest level due to disabilty.... I think this should change as well, but is a topic for another thread, I guess I am just saying that if disability or not, if the guy cannot straighten his arm and he uses that as an advantage to take wickets then he is chucking and under the rules..cheating, and if that is the case should not be allowed to participate. The only real reason that he has allowed to keep going is the pressure put on by the Sri Lankan Cricket Board, they whinge and complain so much now that an umpire is not allowed to do what he belives is correct in calling a no-ball because he would immediately come under fire for doing so..to the point that he now often gets away with over stepping, thus increasing his advantage further.....

"NEVER LEAVE, NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM AND ALWAYS BE THERE AT THE END TO CLAP THEM OFF THE GROUND. WE ARE COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTERS SON, EVEN IF THEY BEAT US, WE ARE STILL BETTER THAN THEM!"(quote from my mum when I was 8 years old)
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:54 pm

Assasin says:

"PS If Murawhatever isn't a chucker , the sun won't come up tomorrow , his action is deplorable"

Donny.

gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:05 pm

His action looked abit sus the other night when he bowled the doosra.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:07 am

nope

footy ROX!
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:34 pm

Gobbles, What's a doosra!??

Clokey, You're so bloody long winded! Get to the Point!!

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:06 pm

bwphantom
posted 13 January 2003 02:47
-----------
I still think Muralitheran(i Hope that is how it is spelt) chucks the ball. Don't get me wrong I think he is a good spinner. However when he bowls his faster ball he throws it. I noticed that in the game the other night that he didn't use his faster ball.
And that panel was crap.If I wanted to guarantee not being called a chucker I would make sure every ball I Bowled in front of the panel was not my faster pitch.
Every ball except for his faster pitch is legal. And 7/10 times the wickets he gets are from the faster pitched ball. I reckon Hair should call him if he thinks he is throwing, END OF STORY. Give the umps a chance to make judgement on the field without the condemnation fromm the ICC.
What does everyone else think.
If your not bleeding Black and White, you don't truly support Collingwood!!!!!
---------------------------------------
MrsTarrant > posted 13 January 2003 10:17

I'm tired of hearing about this. If the guy has got the all clear that's it end of story!

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:14 am

Muralitharan to follow Warne's lead and retire from ODIs
Reuters - 23 January 2003

MELBOURNE, Jan 23 (Reuters) - Sri Lanka off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan believes he will follow Shane Warne's lead and retire from one-day cricket to concentrate on tests.

"I only ever get injured playing one-day cricket, never tests," Muralitharan was quoted as saying in The Age newspaper on Thursday.

"I'm only 30 now, but I think in maybe one or two years after the World Cup I will do the same thing as Warnie (Shane Warne)."

The Australian leg-spinner announced on Wednesday he would retire from one-day internationals after the World Cup starting next month.

Muralitharan is the third-leading wicket-taker in tests (437) and one-day internationals (304).

At 33, Warne is second on the list in tests, 28 behind retired West Indies paceman Courtney Walsh's 519, and is the sixth-leading wicket-taker in the shorter version of the game on 288.

Warne, who dislocated his shoulder in a one-day match against England in Melbourne last month, said the one-day games took a far greater toll on his body than tests.

However, he is expected to return to the Australia side on Thursday for the first final of the triangular one-day series against England in Sydney.

Sri Lanka missed out on a place in the best-of-three match finals and Muralitharan has left Australia with the team, possibly for the last time on a tour of the country.

"I will speak to my parents and some former Sri Lankan captains about it," he said from Melbourne airport.

"It depends how I feel, but I think this is probably my last time (touring Australia).

"I hope to put that (no Australia tours clause) in my next contract, and then that would be it."

Muralitharan, who bowls with an unusual bent-arm action, has been no-balled for throwing in 1995-96 and 1998-99 tours of Australia but his action has since been cleared by the International Cricket Council (ICC).

Donny.

bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:10 am

Mate this guy is a loser. If he wants to whinge like a little girl and never return to Australia I say who gives a crap. Goodbye you cheater!

If your not bleeding Black and White, you don't truly support Collingwood!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Bartros Scorpio

THIS ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:44 am

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty!!!!... He has had many tests done on his action and the ICC has given the action a clean bill of health.

So can we please drop this topic of the face of planet and blow it up!!!!!

Long Live the mite and power of
Shane Morwood (member of 1990 team,1988 Vic rep)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: