Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tom Morris stood down over comments in group chat

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ A recording was available on Google when I first posted on this subject. I listened to it. I expect it is still floating about on the Web.
#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:06 pm

^ Found the homophobic comment. I havent found the racist commrnt yet

But this comment made me laugh:.

"Tom probably regrets not verifying the identity of Buke Leveridge in the group chat"
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:01 pm

David wrote:
I think this helps provide insight for some of the guys who don’t understand what was wrong about Morris’s comments and think this is just PC gone mad. It’s about being outnumbered in a workplace filled with men where you want to be respected for the work you do and treated as an equal, and realising that, behind your back, the men you work with are still just making sexist remarks about you, ranking you according to your looks and your prospects as a sexual partner and so on. It’s demeaning, and precisely the kind of attitude that keeps women out of male-dominated industries such as this one.

hehe, you dont think women sexual or objectify men when they are out in a group/ its human nature, not just a man thing!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:03 pm

swoop42 wrote:
If every man or woman who has ever made a lewd comment about a person in private were to lose their job over the weekend then this country would ground to a halt by Monday.

In reality every person whether they be man, woman, gay, straight, transgender and everything in between would have made comments in private at some stage they'd hate to have exposed publicly.

If you disagree with that statement then I put it to you that you're either a liar or so pious you're in danger of disappearing up your own ars*hole at any moment.

Obviously Morris was a dead man walking once his comments became public because it's all about the optics but some of the hysteria and hypocrisy that is bound to come from the mouths of some in coming days will be sickening.

Honestly the way some people carry on they must think that poker nights at the Warne household were full of discussion on geopolitics and the latest Wordle or that women never talk shite about men (or other women) when they get together.

It's called being human and being imperfect from time to time.

It's called life.

i agree. me and a coupla my girlfriends leve these comments in the shade!!

id rather people said this about me than called me ugly, fat, etc!! and people will talk!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:04 pm

aside from politaclly correct, etc, how $£$%^%%$ boring would conversations be if there was no gossip!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:28 pm

My 10 cents,

The comments about the colleague being attractive wouldn't have been that bad if he hadn't referred to her <snip - the discussion can be had without setting out the detail here. Thanks, Pies4shaw for BBMods>

My view is that it was the remark about not being black or Asian so don't treat me like shit is what got him sacked.

As TP said, objectifying a physically attractive person isn't exclusive to heterosexual males. Making comments about someone being attractive is not mutually exclusive with having professional respect for them.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:58 am

Women also say things like "what a waste' when they find out an attractive man is gay. How is that different to saying she's a no-go for the same reason?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:22 am

1. That isn't what he said. Either you haven't listened to the recording or you are deliberately misconstruing it.

2. Entertaining and all as counterfactuals are - and as useful a strategic purpose as they have always served for conservative views ("we can't do this, it's a slippery slope - the next thing will be ...."), we don't actually have a situation, in this case, where a female sports journalist has been recorded saying such things about a male colleague, so it doesn't really matter.

3. Even if there were such a recording of a female journalist saying such things about a male journalist, that isn't actually an answer to the question "what should be done about this male journalist who has said these things, on this occasion?" There are reasons to defend/ignore it (David has set out his position helpfully, above) but saying "other people do it" is a description, not an answer. If it were, there wouldn't, eg, be murderers or drug-traffickers in prison.

I would certainly prefer it if, as a society, we stopped allowing people to be, in essence, shunned for inappropriate expression by sacking them from their jobs (save, perhaps, in limited circumstances where the "transgressive" behaviour is inappropriate for the line of work). But, as I mentioned above, that sort of thing has always happened. That doesn't make it right, of course - but let's not pretend it's new or because of some "Woke" thing. I don't think any "Wokes" or "Progressives" were hanging about Salem in 1692, either.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:19 pm

stui magpie wrote:
My 10 cents,

The comments about the colleague being attractive wouldn't have been that bad if he hadn't referred to her <snip - the discussion can be had without setting out the detail here. Thanks, Pies4shaw for BBMods>

My view is that it was the remark about not being black or Asian so don't treat me like shit is what got him sacked.

As TP said, objectifying a physically attractive person isn't exclusive to heterosexual males. Making comments about someone being attractive is not mutually exclusive with having professional respect for them.

Really? Selective censorship. I thought it was quite relevant to the discussion to table that a homonym for <snip - the discussion can be had without setting out the detail here. Thanks, Pies4shaw for BBMods> is a disparaging and disrespectful term. Far more relevant than snarky references to Salem. Rolling Eyes

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:44 pm

I can't even begin to imagine why you would think reference to witchcraft trials was "snarky" in this context? What social function do you think is performed by sacking this journalist?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:14 pm

Not a lot, other than demonstrating that private conversations are only private until someone makes them public and cancel culture is going strong.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:38 pm

In that case, you're entirely missing the important questions - about why such responses happen.

Let's assume that there is such a thing as "cancel culture". What acually is it in this specific context? What motivates it? Why does it resonate? How is it effective? In my view, using the content-free slogan "cancel culture" just obscures the issues. It provides some sort of description (insofar as people who hear the expression may have some - albeit limited - shared understanding of what they're discussing) - but no explanation.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:55 pm

Well how about you provide your view? I have no interest in responding to your leading questions or reading your recollections of the Salem Witch trials.

As I stated earlier, my view is that the racist remarks are what got him sacked. Not going to work for the average schmuck who no one cares about their private conversations even if made public, but for a high profile journalist on a common law contract he was a dead man walking as soon as the comments were made public.

Where "cancel culture" comes into it, is his employer could either sack him quickly or stand by him and endure weeks of negative publicity. They chose the former.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:06 pm

After tolerating dancing with the Stars, I put on the replay of the Pies game. My 83 year old mother straight away said how good looking she thought Nick Daicos was. "He's gorgeous" .

I decided against lecturing her about objectifying people and just replied with, "Yeah, good looking kid"

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Well how about you provide your view? I have no interest in responding to your leading questions or reading your recollections of the Salem Witch trials.

As I stated earlier, my view is that the racist remarks are what got him sacked. Not going to work for the average schmuck who no one cares about their private conversations even if made public, but for a high profile journalist on a common law contract he was a dead man walking as soon as the comments were made public.

Where "cancel culture" comes into it, is his employer could either sack him quickly or stand by him and endure weeks of negative publicity. They chose the former.

If you don't see the relevance of the points I was making, that's fine. Have the courtesy, though, not to just assume that because you don't understand it that that's a problem with me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: