Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Russian invasion of Ukraine

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrorism is just that, kill and injure people to scare others by any means and that is what the Russians are doing. Good to see the Russians blaming Ukrianians so they can send a few 100 missiles over and call it legit.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:57 pm

The suspects have clearly been tortured. Given it's Russia no surprise.

I know people wont have much sympathy for them but given it's Russia you need to always wonder what is truth and what are lies.

They seem to have be detained rather quickly and one worries whether those captured are innocents who have been tortured until they falsely confess.

Even if guilty it's odd they were able to pull off this terrorist act (despite American warnings) under the watchful eyes of the FSB and yet weren't smart enough to evade capture for any significant period.

Given Putin is trying to link the suspects with Ukraine (denied by them and US intelligence) you have to at least wonder if this terrorist act was allowed to occur or an even worse was some kind of false flag operation against it's own people.

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to Putin.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:16 pm

^

damn straight they're being tortured, you connect an 80 volt battery to my gonads and I'll take responsibility for whatever you ask me to.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 am

swoop42 wrote:
The suspects have clearly been tortured. Given it's Russia no surprise.

umm....it is actually the US that has pioneered the modern forms of torture (waterboarding, rectal feeding, Abu Ghraib.. , sites of rendition). Let us not use torture as a pretext to demonise the Russian government when the US government is up to its neck in it.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

damn straight they're being tortured, you connect an 80 volt battery to my gonads and I'll take responsibility for whatever you ask me to.

Yeah, just ask the US torturers at Abu Ghraib.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

Why leap to defend them like this? "Yeah but America does it too" is classic Putinist misdirection. The fact that Russian police treat terrorism suspects this way – apparently with full approval of government – is disgusting, and such police brutality is a stain on that society. We can point that out without qualification.

America has plenty to be ashamed of, of course. No need to wheel their own sordid history out here unless the goal is to downplay.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:53 pm

David wrote:
Why leap to defend them like this? "Yeah but America does it too" is classic Putinist misdirection. The fact that Russian police treat terrorism suspects this way – apparently with full approval of government – is disgusting, and such police brutality is a stain on that society. We can point that out without qualification.

America has plenty to be ashamed of, of course. No need to wheel their own sordid history out here unless the goal is to downplay.

I am not leaping to defend Putin.
I am simply saying that using this argument to condemn Putin in particular is misleading, given that the US is culpable of far worse.
I condemn both Putin AND the US government.
If you simply condemn Putin in particular for torture, with no reference to the criminal use of torture by US administrations, then you are simply acting as a mouthpiece of US propaganda.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:49 pm

I take your point @Magpietothemax, and it is a good one, or it would be if you hadn't overstated the case. Putin is far, far worse than the Americans ever were, and I say that as a card-carrying anti-American ever since the 1970s.

Yes, the Americans did (and presumably still do) some truly awful things, but no-one in his right mind would put them in even the same league as Putin's regime, which is as evil as any government ever known in any country. (At least I cannot think of a worse one.)

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:44 pm

Tannin wrote:
I take your point @Magpietothemax, and it is a good one, or it
Yes, the Americans did (and presumably still do) some truly awful things, but no-one in his right mind would put them in even the same league as Putin's regime, which is as evil as any government ever known in any country. (At least I cannot think of a worse one.)

...and here I disagree with you.
The US government is by far the more violent, criminal and dangerous government than Putin's regime in Russia.
As i type, the Biden administration is supplying arms and money to israel so that it can continue to massacre Palestinians in Gaza. Already, at least
40000 are dead, in 6 months, in a population of 2.1 million. This rate of civilian mortality far surpasses anything that Russia is carrying out in Ukraine.
The war in Ukraine was deliberately engineered by the US and its NATO allies, as NATO expanded its borders ever closer to Russia and the US government deliberately sabotaged any attempts by the Zelensky regime to negotiate an agreement with Russia to avoid war.
The US and NATO continue to supply Ukraine's army with weapons, tanks airplanes and training, and are using the Ukrainian male population as cannon fodder in an un declared war against Russia.

On a world scale, the crimes committed by the Putin regime are clearly smaller. The Putin regime commits criminal violence and repression against the population in Russia and in Ukraine, but not against the population of the entire world, as the US government does. Thjs is not due to the fact that Putin is "less evil" than Biden. It is because Russia holds an entirely different position in the world economy compared to the US.
The US is the former economic hegemon, and its banks and financial institutions dominate the world economy. But the US is losing its grip on its economic ascendancy, so it is resorting more and more to criminality in an increasingly desperate and reckless attempt to preserve its economic dominance.
Compared to the US, Russia occupies a subordinate role. It is the US that can impose punitive economic and financial sanctions on Russia, and not vice verca. It is the US, not Russia, which has military bases scattered across the entire globe, encircling both Russia and China. It is the US, not Russia, nor China, that invades and destroys entire countries in wars based on lies (Iraq).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42
Page 42 of 42   

Jump to: