Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A second Australian Test team ??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:00 pm
Post subject: A second Australian Test team ??Reply with quote

Just wondering what everyone's opinion would be in forming a second Australian test side that tours.

Send them over to the Sub to hit it out with them there, I think they would still get the crowds to the games as you could mingle a couple of vetrans in the side as well, but it would be used as a team where they can try out the younger guys coming through.....would be very valuable to have them on call when we tour the sub as well because they would have gained valuable experience. Another pro would be that the games would provide alot more competition for the opposing sides..

Here is my idea

The First Australian Side plays....England, South Africa, West Indies, New Zealand and play one side from the Sub-Continent each year... ithnk that about accounts for the amount of test cricket that is played each year now.

The Second Australian Side would play Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and play a series agianst Either NEw Zealand or the South Africa as well.

Possible Line up for the Second Side
Maher
Blewett
M. Waugh (V Captain)
Hussey
Hodge
Katich (captain)
Haddin
Hauritz/Hogg
Noffke
Watson
Bracken

12th Man - Symonds

plus include a few other experianced and youngsters in the squad
such as Elliot, Kaspa, etc.....

"NEVER LEAVE, NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM AND ALWAYS BE THERE AT THE END TO CLAP THEM OFF THE GROUND. WE ARE COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTERS SON, EVEN IF THEY BEAT US, WE ARE STILL BETTER THAN THEM!"(quote from my mum when I was 8 years old)
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What a good idea, Nth.

Maher - capt
Elliott
Blewett
Clarke
Hussey
Hodge
Campbell
White
Noffke
Williams
Bracken

12th Man - Symonds

Others in squad: Katich Hauritz Watson M. Waugh Dale

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:29 pm

Hmmm funny to note that there isn't even a place in the second side for Lehman...that should make JLC happy as larry.....lmao

cheers

"NEVER LEAVE, NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM AND ALWAYS BE THERE AT THE END TO CLAP THEM OFF THE GROUND. WE ARE COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTERS SON, EVEN IF THEY BEAT US, WE ARE STILL BETTER THAN THEM!"(quote from my mum when I was 8 years old)
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:28 am

Lol. Not quite. I assumed you had him in your first XI, Nth, as he is in mine (Lehmann that is, not JLC). He and Love would be vying for a spot in the top 6 or they'd both be in ASW (after Steve Waugh's demise)

Donny.

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:50 am

Not a good idea I dont think. It devaules the merit of winning a baggy green cap.

I'm all for the current system where Australia A tours in the wintee and plays other A sides from around the world.

It would be a good idea to get them to play Bangladesh so we can see how poor they really are.

Fradam Wrote This
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:19 am

Good point, Fradam. Gold baggies for the second team.

Donny.

Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:32 am

Yes Fradam I agree, and Donny what an excellent Idea, I don't mean it as a team to take away from the current premier side, i meant it as a developental tool.....for Australian Cricket of the future...I just feel we have so much talent that may never get a go or have any test exposure....this could be a great alternative....Australian Cricket has been the inovator on many things why not give this a go....it could only be good for cricket..to add to this idea, i propose that the side touring australia would always play the baggy green and the two teams would never meet either.....just some thoughts

Bartros Scorpio

THIS ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:58 am

If the second team play the Pakes they would get killed?? That is one of the stupist ideas i have ever heard!!!

Long Live the mite and power of
Shane Morwood (member of 1990 team,1988 Vic rep)
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:06 am

Actually this whole topic presents some good food for thought.

These possibilities arise:

Australia (Gold Baggies) could play Canada, Holland, Kenya and the other fledging cricket countries. We would be helping their developement and our players would be getting valuable touring experience.

Even in our summer season the Goldtops could play, say, Bangladesh or the other VB series team at the WACA when the main Test was on in the East or vice versa.

Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh were always going to be thrashed in their first 10 years or so. Who did they get to play before they were accepted into the big league? Players (and countries) stats were grossly exaggerated in the first few years of playing these teams.

Donny.

Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:33 am

and they would get killed because why Bartros....because the Paki's are such a sensational side...give me a break....

is it their incredible bowling line up....7/620 i nthe second test against SA....

Or maybe it is thier amazing batting line up......totals of 161, 250, 252, 226.....WOW I am impressed....

I remember when England said that a cricket academy was a silly idea and unsustainable...the stupidist thing they had ever heard...yep they were right about that one......

I am not suggesting that the team would thrash everyone, but surely you can see a side like that would be healthy competition to any current test side going around...any of those names mentioned would be a start for the Aussies if our current test line up was not so strong.

I thnk it would provide an opportunity to extend good will as well as develope our future stars by playing on the test arena....thrashed by the paki's...lol what a beauty

Cheers

MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:48 pm

I think this is a great idea but I am very disappointed that no one put Michael Slater in their team grrr the fact that he doesn't play for Australia A annoys me enough!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:59 pm

Is he in your team, Mrs Taz? Let's see it

Donny.

MrsTarrant Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:58 pm

LoL my team hey well this would take some thought which I can't be bothered doing so all I can say is that Slater would be in any team of mine! However Donny if you are not happy with this response I will give a second team some thought and get back to you hahaha!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:08 pm

No worries, Mrs Taz. Always good to hear from you. Did you see the Don Bradman's XI? I think you'll like it.

Donny.

MrsTarrant Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:17 pm

I just noticed that no one put Bevan in their second test team? I think I might put him in there and Slater as captain of course! I did see the team Donny yes and I am happy hehe GO SLATS! Is it going to be on tv? I doubt it nothing I ever want to watch goes on tv!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: