Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Congratulations S Waugh

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 5:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Champions play at their best when its backs against the wall. Make no mistake Steve Waugh will be sorely missed in the World Cup.

The way i see it is that all the pressure has focussed on Steve Waugh and how he has failed etc. Geoff Lawson brought up an interesting stat when Australia has been in trouble like 3 for not many (can't remember exact numbers) Steve Waugh is averaging 70 in recent tests (something like that anyway).

However what has Darren Lehmann done to deserve the right to replace a champion in Waugh ?? Lehmann had his chance and blew it in my opinion. Im quite happy to keep love in the side as he has done ok and is a good slip fieldsman. That leaves Lehmann out in the cold!!!!!

Maybe the journalists (Ron Reed i think) should analyse Damian Martyn and what he has done. It was DISGRACEFUL how journalists could mock the Steve Waugh innings afterall he has achieved in cricket.Im guessing that Steve Waugh has scored more runs than Martyn this series and would have a better average ??

Trevor Hohns, Ron Reed, Nasser Hussain etc have not shown Waugh the RESPECT he deserved. Trevor Hohns thought he was so clever when he said the team would be based on form etc etc Well bad luck Trevor its back fired. Just like its going to backfire when Australia falls short in the World Cup and you will be in the firing line for picking a crap squad.

Id say Trevor Hohns has a Waugh on his hands......and im confident of who will win the Waugh...

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:38 am

Comment from the Oz skipper after his great knock at the SCG, yesterday.

"You've always got to aim for that perfect innings. Today was pretty close to as good as I can play. If I can continue that tomorrow, then maybe it will be close to the defining moment of my career."

And the 37-year-old had this reminder for the selectors: "I'm playing as I did when I was 19. I have always striven for the perfect innings and it was almost like that today. It's my desire, passion and commitment to play the game and age is totally irrelevant, it's what's inside you. I don't believe it's age which should count against you."

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:20 am

To JLC:

I don't usually like puns in journalism except the very clever ones. Your "Trevor Hohns has a Waugh on his hands" is a ripper, m8. Lol.

You're confusing the issues a bit to say, "However what has Darren Lehmann done to deserve the right to replace a champion in Waugh ??" Lehmann replaced Mark, not Steve, in the Test team. He replaced Steve in the one-day team and simply because he was in form and Steve was not and his selection has been justified.

Trevor Hohns was correct in saying the Test team will be picked on form and it's a sentiment echoed by Steve. The criteria for picking Australian Test teams, unlike some others, has always been: Select the best XI then choose the skipper from that XI. We strayed from that in recent times with Mark Taylor. He was considered such a good captain that he was retained even though he was out of form with the bat.

What journos have been writing and what Hohns said to Steve has had the desired effect, hasn't it m8? And no-one's happier than me. He needed a wake up call. An average in the low 30s is not enough to retain a batsman in the top six. Ask the junior Waugh.

The way he played in the Melbourne Test first innings and yesterday is a return to the Steve Waugh of old. A magnificent stroke player who can bring an attack to it's knees.

A couple of comments worth highlighting:

"The way he's batting he looks like he wants to hear some Reggae music come March" and "MMMMMMMM humble pie, yummy, plenty for me" - Fradam.

"My mum goes when you 77 years old, 7 months and 7 days you can tell everyone you witnessed these moments!" - Lisey.

.."I would suggest Mrs. Waugh breaks out the suitcases and starts packing the Caribean clothes, because Steve, you have just won an all-expenses paid trip to the West-Indies!" - BJ.

Donny.

[This message has been edited by MAGFAN8 (edited 04 January 2003).]
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:00 am

Who does Ron Reed think he is kidding ?? He was one of Waughs critics now he is acting like he said nothing

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:54 am

Who is Ron Reed, JLC? A Melbourne cricket writer? Will you post some of his stuff to illustrate what you're referring to? Thanks, m8.

Donny.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:13 pm

Yeah Ron Reed writes in the Herald Sun. After the second innings that Steve Waugh played in Melbourne he had a big article that made a mockery of Steve Waugh and even insinuated that Waugh was playing merely for milestones etc.

I will try and find the article but mum threw out the papers i think. Not sure if i can get it off the net ?? Maybe someone else on Nicks will have the papers from last week.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
GoThePies 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:56 pm

1 good innings dosent compensate for 2 years of below par performances... steve played above himself, hasnt regained form. A great milstone and he did shove it up the selectors.. but i think his times come.
If he wasnt captain.. or from NSW he would have been dumped a while ago!

"We are not made collingwood supporters.... We are born it"
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:31 pm

I have to disagree with you there. People are too quick to dimsiss champions.

Who DESERVES to replace Steve Waugh in the team ?? I don't think anyone has staked a claim. Maybe Martin Love but he replaces Lehmann who hasnt set the world on fire.

Hopefully on the tour for the West Indies they take Clarke and another young batsmen and take Harwood and Lewis and leave behind Bichel and players who have been tried before. Bichel is a make shift solution at best. Australia needs to develop a QUALITY pace bowler to take over from McGrath and a QUALity batsmen for when Steve Waugh goes. Bichel and Lehmann are quick fix solutions. A bit like putting bluetak to seal up a leak.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:56 pm

But, JLC, wouldn't you take the Bic as a reserve first drop batsman??

Donny.

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:18 am

This is the first time I've been online since Stevie's magnificent innings on Friday afternoon. I was one very proud Australian, let me tell you! Sent shivers up my spine when he knocked that ball for 4 and in so doing equalled the great Don Bradman's number of centuries scored. And his delight was evident, which was great to see given that he is normally fairly emotionless. The manner in which he played, under so much pressure, was just spectacular and certainly to be admired.

I still can't believe his position could ever be under threat! He is still playing extremely well, and anyway who could possibly replace him? Also, there are other members of the Aussie team whose positions must be under the microscope (namely, Martyn and even Ponting, he has had a shocker of a series in my opinion).

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:56 am

Geez I think I'm harsh sometimes but you gotta be kidding about Ponting surely Kirstin. The guy scored two tons in the series.

Fradam Wrote This
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:17 am

I am harsh, I know, but this is the guy they're supposedly grooming to take over from Stevie, yet he is nowhere near the calibre of Stevie. He doesn't have the guts and determination shown by Stevie - seems to me, he goes out too easy, too often.

We will really miss having a gutsy player like Steve (and Border, before him) in our side - someone who can save an innings by true grit and determination. I think this series, Ricky shoulda shown a bit of this, but he didn't. He is a bit of a frontrunner- plays well when the team is playing well, but when the chips are down, he just doesn't seem to cut it!

DISCLAIMER: As usual, I have no stats to back me up, just my own opinion from my own observations...

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:25 am

Fair points. Sometimes it's better to have someone who is more of a fighter as a captain than someone who is a bit classy. Having said that batting at 3 is a lot harder than batting at 5. Greg Chappell was a flashy stroke maker and I thought he was a good captain...except for the underarm thing.

If Steve does retire who should replace him then as captain if it's not Punter?

Fradam Wrote This
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:36 am

The other point to remember is how lucky Pointing is. More often than not he comes in at first drop when Australia or scoring at 5 or 6 an over and are flying thanks to Hayden and Langer or he comes in at 1-200...lol lol

I just hope when Australia have lost an early wicket that Ponting can play a David Boon type gutsy innings and doesnt come out swinging like Lennox Lewis.

The other day it was a bit hard to tell who the night watchman was ?? Was it Bichel or Martyn ??

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:54 am

I honestly don't know who should replace Stevie as captain, which has meant that I have been confused as to why they are so keen to get rid of him when there is no obvious replacement???

I don't think Ponting is the 'right type', nor is Gilchrist (though my preference would probably be Gilly over Punta). I would like to see Matty get it, but I know I'm dreamin'!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: