Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Forget Ratten, we own "Holding the Ball" debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitchhiker wrote:
It has been a bit baffling.

It also seems an incorrect centre bounce is only called back depending on which team was disadvantaged

Well, which team do you think is disadvantaged?

If it bounces in your direction as the ruckman (i.e. towards your defence), you are advantaged. (It seems many here believe the opposite.) It has to be your advantage: Sure, it's a bit awkward, but your opponent can't reach it. If you stuff up from there, it's your own fault. And they won't call it back if the disadvantaged team gets the clearance.
E 

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:13 am

K wrote:
Hitchhiker wrote:
It has been a bit baffling.

It also seems an incorrect centre bounce is only called back depending on which team was disadvantaged

Well, which team do you think is disadvantaged?

If it bounces in your direction as the ruckman (i.e. towards your defence), you are advantaged. (It seems many here believe the opposite.) It has to be your advantage: Sure, it's a bit awkward, but your opponent can't reach it. If you stuff up from there, it's your own fault. And they won't call it back if the disadvantaged team gets the clearance.

i know its hard to care too much when the team is as bad as it is, but i reckon i could package up about 20 decisions and non-decisions regarding the holding the ball rule that would make the AFL look stupid.

The very first decision of the game was holing the ball on Murphy when ball dislodged in a tackle about 0.2 seconds after he grabs the ball and if you look closely he is actually fumbling and so NEVER had possession. Contrast that with that north bogan running into an open goal and failing to get his foot on the ball when tackled - "play on".

Each call that is made inconsistently seems to result in a goal or the negating of a goal and i reckoin that just about every game we play decided by less than 3-4 goals, one could argue that these decisions influenced the outcome. North score a lot of goals from these errors, we were stopped from chances to score goals!!

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:21 pm

I posted a similar topic more than 15 years ago.
Best answer i received was that the umpire makes the call generally on how loud the crowd yells 'BBAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!!' Smile

The one [rule?] that irks me is if a player successfully breaks a tackle, should an opponent even lay a finger on him before he disposes of the ball, its holding the ball. Why doesn't he get the opportunity to attempt to break that second tackle as well or to say handball it in the tackle as he did on the first occasion?

Prior opportunity?.. So what! You should have to make a tackle stick IMHO.
E 

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:08 am

That's funny!! The prior opportunity rule is meant to say that if you had a chance to dispose of the ball and you didn't, then you are obliged to dispose of it correctly. I'm not sure a handball to no one is a correct disposal.

Honestly, though, it is a problem. Whenever we do a meaningless handball during a tackle for example, we get pinged for holding it. Even Brett Ratten it seems is noticing that Geelong can do it with impunity!!!

this from the AFL website article after tonights game

Ratten also put the spotlight on Geelong's handballing out of tackles, and suggested his side was unlucky to not have been awarded more free kicks for holding the ball.

Geelong and Hawthorn people run the league. the sooner we realize that the anger we feel is not accidental the happier we will be. We wont ever be lucky to win a grand final. We just have too much against us!

[/i]

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:02 am

Maybe it’s because those two teams coaches whinge like bitchs the most during and after the game. You can’t have coaches talking about umpiring inconsistency’s now can we. Shocked
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:26 am

E wrote:
That's funny!! The prior opportunity rule is meant to say that if you had a chance to dispose of the ball and you didn't, then you are obliged to dispose of it correctly. I'm not sure a handball to no one is a correct disposal.

Honestly, though, it is a problem. Whenever we do a meaningless handball during a tackle for example, we get pinged for holding it. Even Brett Ratten it seems is noticing that Geelong can do it with impunity!!!

this from the AFL website article after tonights game

Ratten also put the spotlight on Geelong's handballing out of tackles, and suggested his side was unlucky to not have been awarded more free kicks for holding the ball.

Geelong and Hawthorn people run the league. the sooner we realize that the anger we feel is not accidental the happier we will be. We wont ever be lucky to win a grand final. We just have too much against us!

[/i]

100% agree with you E - have been saying this for years. When I was coaching junior footy I’d labeled this the ‘Geelong handball’ whereby when tackled weaken your grip on the footy and allow it to be dislodged forward. Obviously your style and game plan had to complement this strategy ala Richmond, Geelong, Hawthorn where moving the ball forward and gaining ground at all costs is preferred as long as everyone is aware and is supporting the contest. The Tigers use this tactic both in close and by foot and follow up with unrelenting tidal wave of support on the ball - a method which is extremely simple but effective and hard to stop if sustained for 4 qtrs as has been proven for the last 10 years or so. We tend to do the opposite for some reason and feed the ball backwards including at all stoppages and centre bounces playing right into the hands of other teams adopting the aforementioned strategy.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:57 am

^^^
Yes. I don’t know why this is the case. Unfortunately for callum brown he is hard wired to do this. In fact every single midfielder is. Its just c b usually instinctively dishes off to someone standing still or about to be tackled.
Saying that the idea is to have numbers running past for that handball, it may work easily enough at training but in real time it continually crashes because its so predictable and the hardest way for our forwards to create opportunities.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:15 am

It was shocking last night. All the new rules over the years, and umps being told to focus on frees that keep the game free flowing and high scoring or call play on doesn’t help.
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:19 am

simon tonna wrote:
^^^
Yes. I don’t know why this is the case. Unfortunately for callum brown he is hard wired to do this. In fact every single midfielder is. Its just c b usually instinctively dishes off to someone standing still or about to be tackled.
Saying that the idea is to have numbers running past for that handball, it may work easily enough at training but in real time it continually crashes because its so predictable and the hardest way for our forwards to create opportunities.

True that. I’ve supported Buckley throughout - realistically he has been dealt an awful hand as coach for long periods - but this is a coaching thing. I’m not sure if it’s just blind stubbornness or inflexibility or what but under Bux we haven’t really been very innovative or adaptive to changing styles of play - our forward pressure style though when Bux was forward coach circa 2009 - 2011 was game changing, however we are relatively bland and uninspired the way we play and extremely predictable and very easy to coach against....hence teams score very easily against us on the break and rebound especially after we put a score on. The times we get scored on from centre bounce clean position after we score a goal is ridiculous!!! Anyway, I’m not in the sack Bux camp just yet but definitely we need new coaches with new inspirational ideas much like what Longmuire, Boyd and Buddha Hocking brought in which turned our fortunes around for a time - we need innovation and daring to change our current status quo otherwise players like Callum and our other kids will always be under the pump trying to combat contemporary game styles with outdated and ineffective approaches, which in turn makes them look ineffective and incapable.

E 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:51 am

simon tonna wrote:
^^^

yes!!! this is so true. that is exactly what callum brown does. He treats the ball like a hot potato. As a result, his possessions add not value and usually get us one step closer to not having it.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:20 am

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:
I posted a similar topic more than 15 years ago.
Best answer i received was that the umpire makes the call generally on how loud the crowd yells 'BBAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!!' Smile

The one [rule?] that irks me is if a player successfully breaks a tackle, should an opponent even lay a finger on him before he disposes of the ball, its holding the ball. Why doesn't he get the opportunity to attempt to break that second tackle as well or to say handball it in the tackle as he did on the first occasion?

Prior opportunity?.. So what! You should have to make a tackle stick IMHO.

This!!!

I had one last weekend where the player took off, got tackled but as they both hit the ground the tackle broke and the player got up and disposed of the ball, play on!!! It was the classic holding the ball but the tackle didn’t stick so I let it go. May not be right by the rules but it’s the way I pay it.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:01 pm

Watching the Freo-Dons game and Freo are getting away with murder. Bombers fans upset and I can't blame them. It seems the holding the ball rule has been scrapped.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:09 pm

DE Goey was a clear holding the ball in the change rooms yesterday. Went to the video referee.
E 

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:35 pm

https://www.afl.com.au/news/616507/no-prior-no-problems-dimma-s-simple-fix-for-holding-the-ball-debate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: