Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#36 Brayden Sier

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
What does "jury still out here?" mean in relation to a player taken at pick 18 who has played 171 games, been all-Australian twice and won 2 Copeland Trophies? Surely that can't be a knock on the recruiters?

More an observation of his current value, on this forum.
Without rehashing other threads - the money he is on, compared to connection with midfielders at clearances, as things stand at present, etc.

I'm hopeful new coaching regime can correct this, or it's bottom four again in 2022.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:14 pm

So, not a fair criticism of those who drafted him, then?
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:17 pm

piedys wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
What does "jury still out here?" mean in relation to a player taken at pick 18 who has played 171 games, been all-Australian twice and won 2 Copeland Trophies? Surely that can't be a knock on the recruiters?

More an observation of his current value, on this forum.
Without rehashing other threads - the money he is on, compared to connection with midfielders at clearances, as things stand at present, etc.

I'm hopeful new coaching regime can correct this, or it's bottom four again in 2022.

To me the problem seems to be his hesitancy to occasionally whack the ball 30 metres towards the opposition goals, even if sometimes it rebounds, just to be unpredictable and not always drop the ball at his feet which makes it so easy for opposition midfielders to shark the ball. McRae must fix this ruck work issue first and foremost. He and Grundy need to work out the solution.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:40 pm

^ Since it was the previous numpty-regime's gameplan, it shouldn't be too hard. McRae can just give him a new instruction.
Tanuki 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:08 pm

Sheesh, at his best he was a gun:
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1025541/thanks-jt?videoId=1025541&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1634189100001&tagNames=news
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:46 am

piedys wrote:

Nah, I'm not on board with delisting Sier; totally unnecessary.
We haven't enough strong bodied mids on the list, even allowing for Lippy.
He deserved at least one year under McFly to see if he could recapture the form which brought him to senior selection in 2018.

Agree, Piedsy. I would not have delisted him either.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:50 am

would suggest Siers spot was decided by people inside the club that see all aspects of his dedication, commitment and talent progression. There is a reason no one wanted to trade for him.

Think we all agree, at one stage his talent looked like it had no ceiling. Then it did. Then he went backwards and never looked like he wanted to turn it around.

We have too many kids to develop for him to hold a spot. If he wants it bad enough he can push again. Im just not sure he has it in him

npalm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:28 am

Many people seem to be under the false impression that anybody can develop the level of fitness required to be a successful AFL midfielder by working hard. It's just not true. It's like saying anybody could be a sub 2:30 marathoner if only they trained hard enough.

There have been plenty of players that have turned their careers around by putting in extra training to raise their stamina levels. Swanny is the classic example. I would argue that these players always had the innate potential to reach the required level. Others don't.
As far as we know Sier was in the latter category.
And as far as we know, Sier did all the extra work and he fulfilled his potential. Time to cut him some slack.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:20 pm

npalm wrote:
Many people seem to be under the false impression that anybody can develop the level of fitness required to be a successful AFL midfielder by working hard. It's just not true. It's like saying anybody could be a sub 2:30 marathoner if only they trained hard enough.

There have been plenty of players that have turned their careers around by putting in extra training to raise their stamina levels. Swanny is the classic example. I would argue that these players always had the innate potential to reach the required level. Others don't.
As far as we know Sier was in the latter category.
And as far as we know, Sier did all the extra work and he fulfilled his potential. Time to cut him some slack.

pretty sure Buckley AND the leadership group believed he just didn't put in the work. That's why he couldn't get a game in the last 2 years.

and by the way, while 2.30 is an incredibly quick marathon (and so beyond most folks no matter how hard they work), I'm pretty sure anyone can run out a marathon if they train hard enough (and a five hour runner could easily break 4 hours). Shit, if i can run a 2.48, anyone can!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:27 pm

Tanuki wrote:
Sheesh, at his best he was a gun:
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1025541/thanks-jt?videoId=1025541&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1634189100001&tagNames=news

Josh Thomas, not Sier, but yeah. Not bad for a coke snorting Uber Driver. Wink

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:49 pm

piedys wrote:
dalyc wrote:
piedys wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Tarrant had more talent his his little finger than this bloke ever did; worse first pick ever

Hine strikes again; not Sier's fault he got taken at that pick...

This was a super draft … at the front end. Our first pick was 32 with which we took Sier. I know you don’t like Hine but looking at the draftees after Sier they’re no great shakes.

2 mins from a premiership player. He looked the goods that year.

Certainly had a few mates who were 2 mins away from premiership players in 2018, and this one's haunting me to the grave.

Sure, not Hine's WORST selection by any stretch, and nothing worth crying over after pick #36 in 2015.
The club's obsession with Treloar cost us the 1st round pick prior to Sier, so that's when the trouble started.
That means that the 2013 draft was a total bust, along with 2015 draft.
However, the 2014 draft was better, with unexpected departure of Beams netting us DeGoey, Crisp and Moore.
2012 draft netted us Grundy [jury still out here?], and wasted other picks on broomhead and that other ball butcher.

Hine has much, much to answer for landing us in this prolonged mire, and wanders around the joint tally unaccountable, like his shit doesn't stink, and none of this was his problem. How he keeps his job absolutely stuns me.

I respect your right to an opinion. However, I think if you go through the drafts since 2005 ( not sure when he was in charge so happy to be corrected ) and look at who we took and the picks that followed each pick, I believe Hine does well.

We have hindsight, he didn’t. Would love to see specifically who and how many he “missed” in your opinion.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:52 pm

dalyc wrote:
piedys wrote:

Hine has much, much to answer for landing us in this prolonged mire, and wanders around the joint tally unaccountable, like his shit doesn't stink, and none of this was his problem. How he keeps his job absolutely stuns me.

I respect your right to an opinion. However, I think if you go through the drafts since 2005 ( not sure when he was in charge so happy to be corrected ) and look at who we took and the picks that followed each pick, I believe Hine does well.

We have hindsight, he didn’t. Would love to see specifically who and how many he “missed” in your opinion.

Sure, in fairness it warrants a dissection of each draft since he commenced the role; I can't be sure of Hine's starting date either, so If anybody else can confirm, please do so.
IMO, he lived off the glory of 2008 [Beams and Sidebottom] for too long, and got complacent and sloppy. People use can hindsight as an excuse for his poor selections, but I don't buy it - he has access to exactly the same footage of the players available pre draft day, as all the other recruiters.

This will be a job for the summer nights, through the off-season though

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:44 pm

^
Lets see what the current crop of young blokes do. We got a lot in the past 2 years in round 30+ and a few are showing good signs. Harder to pick talent lower in the field.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:47 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Started off really well, then faded, never reached his fulll potential i reckon. I wish him well, someone might pick him up.

If he doesn't get picked up, then it tells us we made the right decision.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:40 pm

Had enough chances. The club made the right decision to delist him.

Will give him credit for the second half of 2018. He was a decent player then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15   

Jump to: