Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#36 Brayden Sier

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
I’m reminded of the days when Chrissy Tarrant seemed more interested in his off-season surfing trips than footy

But not too much, I hope:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=I&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=T&pid1=180&pid2=4191&fid1=O&fid2=O
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
piedys wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Good luck to Bear. Will remain an unfulfilled talent from my perspective. Hopefully he gets another chance elsewhere, maybe even our VFL squad.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1025551/pies-farewell-sier-and-rantall

Nah, I'm not on board with delisting Sier; totally unnecessary.
We haven't enough strong bodied mids on the list, even allowing for Lippy.
He deserved at least one year under McFly to see if he could recapture the form which brought him to senior selection in 2018.

I sympathise with your view Dyso old son, but in all honesty, Sier has had 5 yrs to show that he is committed enough to become an AFL player. Macrae, Poulter, McCreery, Henry and Bianco showed more commitment in one year than the Bear did in 5yrs. It's a shame, but that's how it is.

He actually got 6 years. Oh my.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:49 am

piedys wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
So you reward a player with another contract when he hasn’t done anything in the last two years?

I know what you are saying, but...
Let's at least acknowledge there have been much fewer VFL games played from 2020-2021, for obvious reasons.
So I think this is the variable where I give him the benefit of the doubt - how was he suppose to improve his tank when he couldn't run the vehicle?
All VFL players in that boat; thrown to the wolves at AFL level for last two seasons due to tight scheduling in 2020, and expected to step up to AFL standard without being able to grind out their fitness in the reserves.
And you can only amass so much fitness at training, the rest needs to be on the field at either level, week in week out.

So yes, I thought a one year contract was going to happen for him, based on his size, ability, and that word - potential.
I expected McFly to sit him down and say 2022 is your make or break year.

I hear what you’re saying. However let’s be hypothetical here. McFly sits down with Sier and promises him a new start next year saying there’s a spot for you as a big bodied mid in the middle of the ground. Sier plays the first 10 games of the year and does nothing and we lose all 10 games. MaCrae misses out playing the first 10 games because Sier has his spot. Collingwood finishes near the bottom of the ladder again and Wright calls McFly into his office - thanks for the one year you spent here as coach but we’ve decided to terminate your contract.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:39 am

Oh ffs Sier has had multiple chances to get fit and be a professional AFL footballer, but he didn’t. Nice bloke but don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out. The void will be filled by another player who will have the drive.
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:05 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Oh ffs Sier has had multiple chances to get fit and be a professional AFL footballer, but he didn’t. Nice bloke but don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out. The void will be filled by another player who will have the drive.

Totally agree. Seemed never fully focused nor committed to getting the best out of himself.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:21 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:

And very quickly. Welcome to Collingwood, Patrick Lipinski.
slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Things are just getting better and better.

Just another lazy player who wasted 5 years of the clubs time, money and resources that could have been better spent on someone more committed.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:43 pm

piedys wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Tarrant had more talent his his little finger than this bloke ever did; worse first pick ever

Hine strikes again; not Sier's fault he got taken at that pick...

This was a super draft … at the front end. Our first pick was 32 with which we took Sier. I know you don’t like Hine but looking at the draftees after Sier they’re no great shakes.

2 mins from a premiership player. He looked the goods that year.

npalm 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:52 pm

It seems a common view here that Sier's lack of stamina was due to a lack of commitment to do the extra work required to bring his fitness up to AFL midfielder standard.

Unless you're an insider at the club, I'm not sure how you can know what his level of commitment was. It may well be that the bloke simply doesn't have the right DNA to get to the required level. He may have done everything the fitness guys demanded of him but simply isn't physically capable of improving.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:14 pm

My feeling on Sier is that he wasn't pushed hard enough. That could be on the coaching staff.

He looked capable to me. Just lacked either the desire or the motivation to take the next step.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:01 pm

Started off really well, then faded, never reached his fulll potential i reckon. I wish him well, someone might pick him up.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:24 pm

npalm wrote:
Unless you're an insider at the club, I'm not sure how you can know what his level of commitment was. It may well be that the bloke simply doesn't have the right DNA to get to the required level.

Saying the commitment isn’t there is giving him the benefit of the doubt. At least that can be fixed

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:39 am

piedys wrote:
So you reward a player with another contract when he hasn’t done anything in the last two years?

I know what you are saying, but...

So yes, I thought a one year contract was going to happen for him, based on his size, ability, and that word - potential.
I expected McFly to sit him down and say 2022 is your make or break year.

I hear what you’re saying. However let’s be hypothetical here. McFly sits down with Sier and promises him a new start next year saying there’s a spot for you as a big bodied mid in the middle of the ground. Sier plays the first 10 games of the year and does nothing and we lose all 10 games. MaCrae misses out playing the first 10 games because Sier has his spot. Collingwood finishes near the bottom of the ladder again and Wright calls McFly into his office - thanks for the one year you spent here as coach but we’ve decided to terminate your contract.

Well... we MIGHT very well lose the first 10 games in 2022, who knows?

If we do/did - then it would certainly be unfair to direct all the blame at Sier.
I'm not suggesting he is/was a walk-up start for the best 22 in 2022 either.
He'd have to fight for his spot over the other midfielders, as he always had, thus I crap on about the importance of VFL fixture for tank building, and how this has been compromised over the last 18 months or so.

Plus, I think the club are bracing themselves for another bottom four finish.
So I doubt any individual player's performance will impact McFly's tenure after 12 months in the role.
We are a better side that what we showed in 2021; we now have to prove it.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:42 am

dalyc wrote:
piedys wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Tarrant had more talent his his little finger than this bloke ever did; worse first pick ever

Hine strikes again; not Sier's fault he got taken at that pick...

This was a super draft … at the front end. Our first pick was 32 with which we took Sier. I know you don’t like Hine but looking at the draftees after Sier they’re no great shakes.

2 mins from a premiership player. He looked the goods that year.

Certainly had a few mates who were 2 mins away from premiership players in 2018, and this one's haunting me to the grave.

Sure, not Hine's WORST selection by any stretch, and nothing worth crying over after pick #36 in 2015.
The club's obsession with Treloar cost us the 1st round pick prior to Sier, so that's when the trouble started.
That means that the 2013 draft was a total bust, along with 2015 draft.
However, the 2014 draft was better, with unexpected departure of Beams netting us DeGoey, Crisp and Moore.
2012 draft netted us Grundy [jury still out here?], and wasted other picks on broomhead and that other ball butcher.

Hine has much, much to answer for landing us in this prolonged mire, and wanders around the joint tally unaccountable, like his shit doesn't stink, and none of this was his problem. How he keeps his job absolutely stuns me.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:52 am

What does "jury still out here?" mean in relation to a player taken at pick 18 who has played 171 games, been all-Australian twice and won 2 Copeland Trophies? Surely that can't be a knock on the recruiters?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15   

Jump to: