Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jordan De Goey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he doesnt rack up 30, but once again i'll remind people to pay attention to the times when it looks like goals are coming easy for us and you will often see some act of pure class from De Goey that makes the attack look like a goal is inevitable rather than impossible.

Pendles waltzed into an open goal last week and it looked like we were steamrolling our opponent. De Goey facilitated that goal. Now while the stat wasnt that impressive, he executed it perfectly. So often in the past, the failure to execute perfectly in the build up is what kills the goal scoring chance.

This kid is a beauty and will play 200 games for the pies. He is pure class.

We have the accumulators in Pendles, Treloar and Adams. Its a great luxury to have such a skillful player up forward helping to set up goals, even if most of us dont see the value.

For those who still not see it, just try and remember how hard it was for uys to score goals in the first 5-6 weeks when he wasnt playing. I'm not saying he is the sole cause of the improvement (as obviously others, including the brilliant Elliot, has had a lot to do with it too). I am saying, however, that he is an important component of that improvement.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:54 am

E wrote:
Yes he doesnt rack up 30, but once again i'll remind people to pay attention to the times when it looks like goals are coming easy for us and you will often see some act of pure class from De Goey that makes the attack look like a goal is inevitable rather than impossible.

Pendles waltzed into an open goal last week and it looked like we were steamrolling our opponent. De Goey facilitated that goal. Now while the stat wasnt that impressive, he executed it perfectly. So often in the past, the failure to execute perfectly in the build up is what kills the goal scoring chance.

This kid is a beauty and will play 200 games for the pies. He is pure class.

We have the accumulators in Pendles, Treloar and Adams. Its a great luxury to have such a skillful player up forward helping to set up goals, even if most of us dont see the value.

For those who still not see it, just try and remember how hard it was for uys to score goals in the first 5-6 weeks when he wasnt playing. I'm not saying he is the sole cause of the improvement (as obviously others, including the brilliant Elliot, has had a lot to do with it too). I am saying, however, that he is an important component of that improvement.

You make some very good points E.

There should only be one important criteria in assessing players.

Do they make the team better by their inclusion?

In De Goey's case he makes the team better and therefore there should be no question of his not deserving his place in the team.

As for his best position in the team, I think Buckley is playing it perfectly for him. Half forward with time in the middle is how De Goey should be playing at the moment.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:13 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Can't help but feel we need to start giving de Goey far more minutes through the midfield or risk totally stalling his development as a footballer.

How we manipulate this is the hard part and may require someone like Sidebottom spending more time forward or making a hard call on a player and omitting them.

I want to see it as early as next week against Melbourne a side with a deep midfield and stacked with impressive young talent.

de Goey vs Oliver is what I want.

I wouldn't think more mid field time will be far away but in the short term I see it as DeGoey being a victim of his own strengths.
We have a patch work forward line at the moment and DeGoey is one of the very few mid field types we have that can hold his body position and take a contested mark against someone slightly bigger than him. He's a lovely shot at goal and applies applies good defensive pressure too. Someone has to play up there with those attributes. Obviously Greenwood is now spending time forward but he is a terribly unreliable kick.
We are probably only one reliable forward away from DeGoey spending a lot more time in midfield. Where that forward comes from is another issue.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:53 pm

De Goey was basically useless against Hawthorn and looked very much like a man struggling for form and confidence in a role he wasn't best suited for. FFS, he's not a marking KPP!

De Goey was much improved against Brisbane. He appeared for important possessions over a much larger area of ground (including the back half at times) and he got at least a little time in the middle. He also stopped trying to take big marks and, instead, took several good, tough contested marks closer to ground level. Some of his work forward of centre to enable goals by the likes of Elliott and Moore was outstanding.

I'm tipping De Goey to be among our 6-8 best players this week. With Blair out, there will be no more of this stupidity of starting Blair at a centre bounce while de Goey stands idle in the forward pocket. He'll get more on-ball time and carve Freo a new one.

Rush Stand Wing 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:55 pm

Despite some of the posts here recently, I've been happy with his form since his return from hiatus. He has played wherever most needed and has met everything head on. I like him HF. I think he actually has the presence, poise and smarts for it.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:17 pm

Rush Stand Wing wrote:
Despite some of the posts here recently, I've been happy with his form since his return from hiatus. He has played wherever most needed and has met everything head on. I like him HF. I think he actually has the presence, poise and smarts for it.

I wish we had 2 of him. Cool
hermie Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:49 pm

[quote="Tannin"]De Goey was basically useless against Hawthorn and looked very much like a man struggling for form and confidence in a role he wasn't best suited for. FFS, he's not a marking KPP!

De Goey was much improved against Brisbane. He appeared for important possessions over a much larger area of ground (including the back half at times) and he got at least a little time in the middle. He also stopped trying to take big marks and, instead, took several good, tough contested marks closer to ground level. Some of his work forward of centre to enable goals by the likes of Elliott and Moore was outstanding.

I'm tipping De Goey to be among our 6-8 best players this week. With Blair out, there will be no more of this stupidity of starting Blair at a centre bounce while de Goey stands idle in the forward pocket. He'll get more on-ball time and carve Freo a new one.[/quote]

he basically kept hodge from having an influence and was physical with him at every opportunity...decent game
E 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:36 am
Post subject: DeGoey is again De Gun!Reply with quote

Of this there can be no doubt. Did some really really great things today. I love the way he is so clever with the ball. Even in the stoppages he knows how to cleverly keep the ball trapped when he needs to without being pinged for holding the ball.

He isnt getting the touches because he isnt a permanent mid, but his influence up forward is growing each week. He is both a target in the air and a threat on the ground.

I hope he is about to take the leap to stardom. The signs are good.

Just remember Jordan - "be humble...B$tch sit down, be humble....."

Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:34 pm

^ I agree E, he is building very nicely and was huge for us against dockers. He could be anything for us.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:56 am

But he isnt Bontempelli, so fail. Thats how many see it unfortunately.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:53 am

Presti35 wrote:
But he isnt Bontempelli, so fail. Thats how many see it unfortunately.

So the standard is that you need to be the best player drafted in the last 10 years AND be one year ahead of that player in terms of development? If you were being sarcastic to mock those who actually have set the bar that high then I applaud you. if not, hmmm, well.....

axl 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:43 am

Is going to be a gun in the future. Best kick for goal at our club
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:50 am

axl wrote:
Is going to be a gun in the future. Best kick for goal at our club

Not too hard to be best kick for goal at Collingwood at the moment, but I love the way he goes about it, keeps his feet in the contest, and if he can manage to keep his feet on the ground off the park has huge star potential.

Go Pies

E 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:33 am

De Goey's ability to pick up the slack from Elliot's absence will go a long way to determining whether we win this game.

He is the most important player on the ground this weekend.

I predicting he kicks 4 and sets up 6.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:42 am

HOLD FIRE just yet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
Page 58 of 301   

Jump to: