Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jordan De Goey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think better 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1379689/jordan-de-goey-at-his-explosive-best?videoId=1379689&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1689303158001
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:27 pm

Well done to JDG for reaching 150 games Smile
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:55 pm

We have 2 out and out absolute stars in our side and one of them is Jordan de Goey.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:02 pm

Pie-supporting journo Gleeson reckons:

4 of the 5 best mids in the game will be wearing Melbourne jumpers. (He includes Gawn in that. But not Brayshaw, so if you don't include rucks he might say the same...) The other is JdG.

So, Gleeson says, a lot depends on Googs having a big one.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

..No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:12 pm

‘She has changed my life’: How Jordan De Goey regained Collingwood’s trust
By Michael Gleeson, September 28, 2023

Jordan De Goey never again wants to feel like he did on grand final day five years ago. He doesn’t want to feel like he did 12 months ago when his job, if not his career, was nearly taken away. The burn from the loss to West Coast in the grand final of 2018 still simmers. The pain of nearly losing his job at the place he had been his whole adult life, and leaving his friends, hurt in a different but no less painful way.

“I am not going to let this one go,” the powerful midfielder said of the lesson he took from the last grand final into this one. “I am going to do absolutely everything physically possible in my capabilities to make sure we get the opposite result. You understand the heartache that goes with the loss in a grand final and I think you can do one of two things – go into your shell or come out and be better than you were before and that’s exactly what I intend to do. “I think that showed on the weekend [in the preliminary final] against GWS; a lot of things were out of our control – they had momentum a lot of the time and we showed grit and determination to just keep fighting when things were against us. “I will take a one-point win any day of the week. We have that dog in us, you could say. We want to succeed, we want to be the best, and we want to win.”

In the prelim, Jordan De Goey played the most consequential game of his career. It was a game that 12 months ago it was doubtful he would play, at least not in black and white. In June last year he had had a new contract pulled after another off-field muck up that frustrated and embarrassed the club. The hierarchy at Collingwood was fed up with his propensity for off-field trouble and withdrew an offer for a new long-term big-money deal. Both sides needed convincing of the other’s commitment before he eventually re-signed with the club post-season.
“It was tough having the job on the line. It was really tough. And there were other clubs involved [primarily St Kilda]. But at the end of the day, I knew this club was destined for greatness and that’s exactly what I felt like; we have got the list to be in this position and that’s why I stayed on, and now I am reaping the benefits of it, I am watching all these gun young players come up,” he said. “The boys [his teammates] have always been huge [supporters]. I have never had an issue with the playing group. Ever. They have always supported me, they know what kind of person I am, and it was just more about the board members being able to trust me to make the right decisions and take the job seriously, and I have been doing that.”

Working out how to make the right decisions is the biggest change in him, De Goey says. He does feel he is a changed person, or at least a work in progress. The difference is what he now knows about himself, more than what others know about him. Actions speak louder than words, but in De Goey’s case, Louder’s words have spoken to De Goey’s actions. Jacqui Louder is the Collingwood psychologist, and she has worked closely with De Goey. She was an enthusiastic advocate for the club retaining him last year. “Jacqui has been huge for me. Everyone knows I have been working with her for a while especially since New York,” De Goey explained, referencing the 2021 incident in a bar after which he spent the night in police cells and was exiled from the club. “She has pretty much changed my life to be honest, changed my perspective, changed the way I go about it, my decision-making, everything like that. “She is definitely a major reason why I am in this position and the same with the football club, the culture we have created, the people we have got involved. It just breeds success and makes you want to get better, and I think that is what I am thriving in. “She has probably just helped me understand myself, what I am like, what makes me tick, why I make the decisions I do, what is involved when I make these decisions so that next time I am in a situation it is the forefront of my mind: ‘This is a trigger point so be careful doing this, is it better to leave now and not even put myself in that situation?’ Just things like that. And when your job gets put on the line it makes it a bit easier to make those decisions. “It’s just growing up, understanding myself, learning about myself and evolving. I am not perfect.”

Collingwood knew when they were agonising late last year that the one certainty about him was that De Goey was an elite talent. A-grade players are hard to find and De Goey was an A-grade talent. That he did not translate that into consistent A-grade performances due to a mix of injury, suspension and form was a frustration. He has never won a best and fairest, never been top three, as a player of his ability should have. De Goey returned to the club this year fitter. He did extra sessions over summer, and was determined to make an impact. He did. While eyes were trained and discussion centred on Nick Daicos, De Goey more quietly began by delivering the season he and the club have been wanting to see from him.

Even the umpires, whose judgment in these matters is plainly not the most reliable, gave him three Brownlow votes in round one. Twice in the first three rounds, the two coaches gave him the maximum 10 votes between them for best on ground. His form was as good as it has been and that was not just down to him. De Goey was the most obvious beneficiary of the arrival of Tom Mitchell whose greatest ability is to get first hands on the ball and shovel it out to others. More often than not De Goey was on the other end of the shovel. De Goey then got himself suspended for a bump and missed games. When he returned he admits he took time to find his early season form. “The team dynamic changed a bit there too. As the game evolves teams understand how we play, and they changed their structure dependent on that. That caused a little bit of conflict there for a bit, but I managed to work my way through that and started to play some good footy in the back end which is the most important part.” De Goey rates his preliminary final performance as “one of my better ones”.

“But I think the best part was the fight of the team, the way we gritted it out, and we pretty much ran the clock down with four minutes to go which is pretty much unheard of. I was more proud of that, to be honest,” he said. “It’s definitely good for your confidence, any player would like to say they are playing well in finals time so yeah to have a game like that and a result like that more importantly is awesome, and it just builds confidence within the group.”

When the Magpies last played a grand final De Goey was effectively the full-forward. He booted 48 goals that year. Partly that was due to his ability to find a goal in a side that lacked firepower. Partly he was still building his endurance to play midfield. He now has that endurance and the club, for the main, has had firepower forward. But the team’s goalkicking has dried up in the finals – they kicked just eight and nine goals in their two finals – and now they have lost full-forward Dan McStay.

While probably unlikely to happen given his importance in the midfield, De Goey has a licence to take matters into his hands if he sees fit and could roll forward in a Christian Petracca-Dustin Martin style mid-forward role. “I think ‘Fly’ has given me the freedom I guess to play the position I want to play so if I feel we need to score and if I feel I am confident in myself that I can do that then he wouldn’t mind me going forward, so there is always that opportunity, but this whole year the forwards have held up – Ginny, Bobby Hill, Dan, Billy, Checkers – they have been great.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/she-has-changed-my-life-how-jordan-de-goey-regained-collingwood-s-trust-20230925-p5e7h0.html

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:00 pm

The pain of 2018 burned us all for so long; redemption is here, and it is truly glorious
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:52 pm

jonmac1954 wrote:
I have been a harsh critic but he is making efforts to turn not only his footy but his life around so I'll be as fulsome in my praise as I have been in my criticism.

Good on you jonmac! Many posters here stuck the boots into JDG big time when he was in trouble and struggling to control his off field behaviour, but have still not had the good grace to commend him for the almighty efforts he has made to turn his life around. He was at the cross-roads last year, but chose to remain loyal to the Pies and apply himself to changing his habits and mental approach, which is possibly one of the hardest things to do for anyone.

Do we still have the "Best Finals Player" at the Copeland? He'd be my choice for 2023.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:01 pm

What huge goals!
jonmac1954 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:34 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:
I have been a harsh critic but he is making efforts to turn not only his footy but his life around so I'll be as fulsome in my praise as I have been in my criticism.

Good on you jonmac! Many posters here stuck the boots into JDG big time when he was in trouble and struggling to control his off field behaviour, but have still not had the good grace to commend him for the almighty efforts he has made to turn his life around. He was at the cross-roads last year, but chose to remain loyal to the Pies and apply himself to changing his habits and mental approach, which is possibly one of the hardest things to do for anyone.

Do we still have the "Best Finals Player" at the Copeland? He'd be my choice for 2023.

Still deeply saddened over the lost years that should have been but he has stepped up and owned the responsibility for making it right.

Takes a true man to do that.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

..No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:07 am

Jordan De Goey hits Steven May with a cutting comeback after Demons star said his team were 'so much better' than the premiers

The first clash between AFL premiers Collingwood and Melbourne in 2024 is set to be heated after premiership winner Jordan De Goey took aim at Demon defender Steven May and his claims his team was 'so much better' than the Magpies...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/afl/article-12615109/Jordan-Goey-hits-Steven-cutting-comeback.html

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:46 pm

Not sure about "cutting" but it was a fair enough response without stoking the fire too much. That and the Brayshaw incident will make for a pretty fiery kb clash, you'd think. The media's gonna have a great week hyping it up, that's for sure.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:50 pm

No doubt Melbourne and the football media will be building it up to fever pitch internally and externally. I almost think we would do best to let most of that noise go through to the keeper – it seems more of a distraction for them than for us.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:17 pm

JDG will have just turned 28 come the first bounce of the 2024 season. In all of the season & post-match interviews, I saw a maturing and composed young man, considered in what he said.
I'm probably more excited about his potential to elevate his place in the game this coming season than any of his seasons prior.

JDG vs Dusty comparison at the same age ~
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=15&type=A&pid1=4043&pid2=3316&fid1=O&fid2=O

With 13 finals and 1 GF in his quiver, he's only an injury uninterrupted pre-season away in order to launch him and rip the completion a new one in 2024.

ps' attach Reef McInnes to him in the pre-season, I reckon JDG would relish a mentor role.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
jonmac1954 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:08 pm

^Yes a self-confessed harsh critic - only because I knew how good he could be and he kept shooting himself in the foot - I couldn't be more happy and proud of the lad.
We can now say he has lived up to that promise he made to Bucks upon selection in his draft.
Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:20 pm

With a flag the temptation to party hearty will be strong, if he backs up again it will be most impressive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 299, 300, 301  Next
Page 300 of 301   

Jump to: