Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grand Final #14 - 2003

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:34 am
Post subject: Grand Final #14 - 2003Reply with quote

No. 14 – 2003 – Brisbane Lions 134 defeated Collingwood 84

In my description of the 1980 Grand Final, I wrote that Collingwood was very competitive, for about five minutes. The same could not be said of the 2003 Grand Final. I still have nightmares recalling the opening bounce with Clark Keating smashing the ball forward and Brisbane being incessantly in attack. In the previous year’s Grand Final, Scott Burns had tried to iron out Michael Voss. This time he tried to get Jonathan Brown. Neither action was successful and Voss and Brown went on to play pivotal games in the two Grand Finals.

In the second quarter, Reece Shaw got the ball and attempted to elude Alistair Lynch who was a much bigger and slower player. Shaw slipped, the ball fell out of his hands and Lynch grabbed it and kicked a goal from a severe angle. That incident demonstrated Collingwood’s ineptitude on that day. Interestingly, Collingwood went into the match as favourites, having finished higher on the ladder than Brisbane and having beaten them in a close game in the qualifying final. Furthermore, four Brisbane players were under injury clouds although Collingwood’s best forward Anthony Rocca was suspended. But the outcome of this match was never in doubt.

That Brisbane side which won three Grand Finals in a row is the best side I have seen. The mid- field comprised Michael Voss, Simon Black (who won the Norm Smith medal), Jason Akermanis and Luke Power. At full forward was Alistair Lynch and at centre half forward was Jonathan Brown. At centre half back was Justin Leppitsch. They also had Nigel Lapin, Shaun Hart and some guy called Craig McRae.

It took Collingwood quite a long while to recover from the thumping in 2003 and they missed the finals in 2004 and 2005. This entitled them to a priority draft pick and during that period, they drafted Dale Thomas and Scott Pendlebury. They weren’t too shabby.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:59 am
Post subject: Re: #14 - 2003Reply with quote

Harrysz wrote:
No. 14 – 2003 – Brisbane Lions 134 defeated Collingwood 84

In my description of the 1980 Grand Final, I wrote that Collingwood was very competitive, for about five minutes. The same could not be said of the 2003 Grand Final.....

I was at Victoria Park watching this debacle unfold, women were crying at half time; we knew it was gone by then.
Just pathetic; totally outcoached and simply ambushed.
Absolutely painful to watch.
I punched the wall of the mens outer toilets out of anger, prior to leaving before the siren, almost breaking my hand. Not a good idea.

First problem - 8[?] changes from 2002GF side; that's just too many.
Despite their form in second half of 2003 season [only losing to Bears at MCG], this side was inferior to the one prior.

Missing: Rocca, Molloy, Lockyer, Freeborn, Betheras, Steinfort, and N.Davis

replaced by Dunderklumpen Walker, Kinnear, Woewoeful, R.Shaw, Pea-heart Cole, Lokan and previously unlucky Holland and J.Cloke; most of whom where utterly putrid no-shows.

Freeborn and Betheras should have been selected for experience alone, ahead of side-stepper Cole. Even McGough could have argued for selection.

The actual selection of Cole ahead of Dal Santo in 2001 draft was a master stroke in stupidity in itself; but after the Pavlich debacle from year prior 2000, these idiots were on a roll.....

I had effectively zero interest in the team for most of 2004.
By 2005 we started to play some decent football again, despite what the scoreboard reflected; securing Caracella also helped.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I think the loss of Rocca to suspension was a huge problem in that game. Big Ant was both our best ruckman and best tall forward, so he was a double match-up problem for opposition teams. Walker, who replaced him, couldn't really do either job to AFL standard and most certainly couldn't do both. Rocca was our only point of difference and with him missing, we were a poor team. The other thing, of course, was that the Bears pulverised us in the late-season game on a dry MCG track so badly it wasn't even a contest - they killed the game in the first 15 minutes and then toyed with us. The QF was played at night and in driving rain and Didak turned the game in those conditions with some remarkable kicking. Given what they'd done to us on a dry ground a few weeks before, it made no sense that Collingwood were favourites.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:01 pm

One of my worst football memories.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:04 pm

The moment when, at the age of 14, I discovered what it's really like to be a Collingwood supporter. I've endured some disappointing grand final losses immediately before and since, but none hurt as much as this.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:06 pm

nah the less than a goal one was worse, when roccas goal was not called a goal and we were robbed yet again
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:08 pm

Never been angrier than after this game, I foolishly believed it was our turn.

I stopped believing in 'turns' after that, you gotta be ruthless. Thats the real football lesson from the Lions dynasty

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:09 pm

yup, and having an extra $650k in the cap helps!
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:15 pm

Never gave us a hope in hell once Rocca was rubbed out. Still went though, it was like watching a slow car crash. This year has been so healing Smile
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:26 pm

Malthouse coached abysmally in that GF, playing Jason Cloke at full forward, a position he'd never played, after having a great season as a key defender.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:50 pm

Thankfully I was the recipient of a full days corporate package that day which commenced at Crown Palladium at 7am at which time I had my first Carlton Draught. Needless to say by about half time I was blind which meant I didn’t have to endure that debacle sober. Brisbane’s GF experience was priceless for them that day, led by Voss, who revelled in humiliating us on the biggest stage. He was a pretty inspirational leader for them. We’ll do that next year. Go in as underdogs against some young brash team who think they’re gunna win it and our 2023 experience will see us wipe the floor with em 😈
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:10 pm

Piethagoras' Theorem wrote:
This year has been so healing Smile

Aint that the truth.

02 was tough and we were unlucky that day. 03 was absolutely gut wrenching. It was hard to get over. And here we are 20 years later...

Dad was 10 in 1966 and he said something similar to me in 2010.

I cant imagine how some of the older supporters would feel if we knocked over Carlton someday. But this one feels somewhat redeeming.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:30 pm

Probably the most gut wrenching Grand Final I've seen in terms of hope and expectation. 2018 was very painful as well, but this one always sticks out in my mind after 20 years.

We did well to get as far as we did with the talent on paper, but once Rocca was suspended it was game over.

The fact that we were favourites is remarkable in itself, but I understand the context as we beat Brisbane in the QF and easily beat Port in the PF.

Winning this year has significantly eased the pain of the 02/03 GF losses.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:21 am

This one was a debacle. Watching the last training session at VP with thousands of others and I saw some clown handing out Collingwood 2003 Premiers bumper stickers. That gave me a very bad feeling, which was realised in the first minutes of the match.
Such a disappointment after demolishing Port the week prior.
11 players with less than 10 disposals ensures you're going to struggle.

jayaykay 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:28 pm

Piethagoras' Theorem wrote:
Never gave us a hope in hell once Rocca was rubbed out.

Same! Crying or Very sad I don’t think I bothered with any pre-game stuff that week after the tribunal decision.
And Shaw’s blunderful moment was one of the worst GF “memories” I wish my mind would erase.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: