Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The not drafting or trading for James Stewart

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

JS looked solid against insipid GCS on Anzac Day.
Took some solid grabs but kicking at goal still needs work.

Too early to make a call on him yet?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:05 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Unfortunately Ramsay is an unremarkable height, kick, skill and X factor player and in hindsight a 6ft 6 player like Stewart could have been a point of difference. Especially when we have 9 half back flankers on our list too!

I liked his work on ANZAC day though. Looks like a keeper to me.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:05 pm

Doesn't look anywhere near a key forward you can build a forward line around, even on potential. That's what we need to recruit to take over from Trav when he retires in 3-5 years. I wanted McCarthy in 2013 at pick 10. Spewing that I was right about him... Sad
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:38 pm
Post subject: Re: James StewartReply with quote

Visdom wrote:
I know there was a reason why we could not take up the father son option with James Stewart, something to do with not having an available draft selection. Can someone please remind me.

Because Dawes and Wellingham put themselves up for Trade so we did not know what Picks we would wind up with

melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:41 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
I will just reserve my judgement until he actually shows some consistancy on the footy field. Im yet to be convinced we have missed out on anything special. Good luck to him, anyway.

I don't think Hine has that luxury.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:57 pm

inxs88 wrote:
With time Geoff Austen and Michael Horsborough can still make it!

As one of my Pie mates would say ' don't knock Geoff Austen, he won us a night grand final!"

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:24 pm

melliot wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
I will just reserve my judgement until he actually shows some consistancy on the footy field. Im yet to be convinced we have missed out on anything special. Good luck to him, anyway.

Don't think it's got anything to do with luxury. As Hine has said, club wanted flexibility with picks going into the trade period. Dawes and Wellingham wanted trades. It's history now that we ended up with 18, 19, & 20 and retained our 2nd round pick but who knows what options they were looking at. What if they needed that 2nd round pick to get either of the Dawes or Wellingham deals done? What if they were looking at trying to trade up picks into the top 10? We don't know so how can we judge and furthermore, how can we question the integrity of our chief recruiter?
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:17 am

jackcass wrote:
melliot wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Don't think it's got anything to do with luxury. As Hine has said, club wanted flexibility with picks going into the trade period. Dawes and Wellingham wanted trades. It's history now that we ended up with 18, 19, & 20 and retained our 2nd round pick but who knows what options they were looking at. What if they needed that 2nd round pick to get either of the Dawes or Wellingham deals done? What if they were looking at trying to trade up picks into the top 10? We don't know so how can we judge and furthermore, how can we question the integrity of our chief recruiter?

Um mm. This is my point. Hine doesn't have the luxury of waiting several years to work out what is the best decision. He has to make the call when they're 18. Any dummy can say what was right 5 years after the event.

Hine makes more good draft decisions than bad. Our free agents and senior trades are a little so so. Although they have enabled the big list of low draft picks. So I'm supportive of the recent list strategy. Whether the execution has been right we'll have to use the hindsight luxury.

BTW from the ANZAC day win we have 6 top 10 picks to come into that side. Siddey. Reid. DeGoey. Scharenberg. Moore. Freeman.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:34 am

5. Sidey was actually a number 11 hack.
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:50 am

Defender wrote:
Need to remember as well, if we'd nominated him as a FS chances are excellent Sheedy would have bidded with his second round pick, In turn forcing us to use our original second rounder and im pretty sure we traded that for a pick upgrade, so Stewart probably would have cost us a lot more than Ramsay, possibly one of BK-Grundy or Broom.

Oops, I take that back, 38 was our second pick, so he would've cost us Ramsay.

Wouldn't of forced anything. A club has the right to refuse to match if it thinks it is overs.
Fact is Hine stuffed up and thinks more highly of a speculative Gault then he did of Stewart at the time.

We have a dearth of forward talent at the club not just in KP stocks but in crumbing smalls as well.
It's like they get ideas in their heads like when they didn't rate rucks so kept grabbing rookie rucks or KPP to play ruck mid 2000s.

He should of nominated him and seen how the cards fell we more then likely would of got to use our 3rd rounder on him or at worse the pick we got Ramsey for.
Now Ramsey may play some footy for us but having a KPF coming through is a lot more important then our 16 HBF/BP on the list. We have a half team full of HBFers on the list atm.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:59 am

These are matters of judgement. What you want is for your recruiters to get things right more often than they get them wrong.

As for Stewart's performance, so far - well, it's not earth-shattering stuff of the kind that would invoke the view that Hine "stuffed up" by not picking him. He just had 6 kicks and kicked a goal in an 11-goal thrashing of a cellar-dweller. The two KPFs for GWS kicked 4 and 5, respectively, and if Cameron had kicked straight he might have got 8 or 10. So, chipping in with a goal and a couple of kicks is hardly excitement-machine stuff.

5 games for 4 goals and 5 marks inside 50 since he was drafted in 2011 - it's not like he's Wayne Carey.

Gault wasn't in the picture in any relevant way, of course - it was Ramsay we took with the relevant pick. He was the youngest player drafted in his year and, unsurprisingly, is just starting to show his potential, now.

Face it - you're just being negative about this - assuming that Hine was wrong and that Stewart will prove to be a top player. So far, there is no evidence for that whatsoever. GWS are "excited" - but then, I remember Mick being "excited", variously, about the potential of David King, Adam Iacobucci, Danny Stanley, Sammy Isles etc etc. Not many of them played in the 2010 premiership team.
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:17 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
These are matters of judgement. What you want is for your recruiters to get things right more often than they get them wrong.

As for Stewart's performance, so far - well, it's not earth-shattering stuff of the kind that would invoke the view that Hine "stuffed up" by not picking him. He just had 6 kicks and kicked a goal in an 11-goal thrashing of a cellar-dweller. The two KPFs for GWS kicked 4 and 5, respectively, and if Cameron had kicked straight he might have got 8 or 10. So, chipping in with a goal and a couple of kicks is hardly excitement-machine stuff.

5 games for 4 goals and 5 marks inside 50 since he was drafted in 2011 - it's not like he's Wayne Carey.

Gault wasn't in the picture in any relevant way, of course - it was Ramsay we took with the relevant pick. He was the youngest player drafted in his year and, unsurprisingly, is just starting to show his potential, now.

Face it - you're just being negative about this - assuming that Hine was wrong and that Stewart will prove to be a top player. So far, there is no evidence for that whatsoever. GWS are "excited" - but then, I remember Mick being "excited", variously, about the potential of David King, Adam Iacobucci, Danny Stanley, Sammy Isles etc etc. Not many of them played in the 2010 premiership team.
\

Gault is relevant in relation to list spots.

Stewart is the 3rd banana he often is getting ignored for Mccarthy and Cameron and rightly so both higher talents. Stewart on the occasions the ball is directed through him has in fact looked good and he is also performing well in the 2nds.

He stuffed up due to our lack of developing tall forwards and not testing the waters with a relative free hit at Stewart. Now if he then deemed him not worthy of pick 38 (which we now know he clearly is worth) and passed at least we had a look.
Hine left himself with no options.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:38 pm

Agreed we have a plethora of mid size/small backs on our list and Stewart was worth the pick vs Ramsay whom despite being a hard at player has absolutely "no left side" evidenced highly on Anzac Day. While we are at it we probably should have gone Cameron McCarthy ahead of Nathan Freeman given the lack of success of Jessie White and Corey Gault's "Haley's Comet time frame" development.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:39 pm

Yes hindsight = expert!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:42 pm

How do you "know" he's worth pick 38? You're just guessing. Yours is a whinge without any reasonable basis in fact. Let me assure you that White and Gault both "look" unstoppable in the VFL at times. Danny Stanley "looked" like a better version of Nathan Buckley in the seconds, too. It's the transition that matters.

Why can't you wait and see whether Stewart gets beyond "looking" like he might be a player and waiting to see if he "is" one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 12 of 16   

Jump to: