Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The not drafting or trading for James Stewart

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:25 am
Post subject: Numbers are now adding up for this son of a PieReply with quote

Nice Article on Craig Stewarts son James

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=129961&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+com%2FbGgr+%28AFL+Latest+News+and+Broadband%29

Trezegol 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

......but can he grow a moustache?
VicParkTragic 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Derek Shaw and the 79 grand final.
Goddam it, I'd almost wiped that from my memory:((((((

buckstopswithbucks 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:51 pm

VicParkTragic wrote:

Really wasn't Derek's fault, you don't drop a guy that's kicked 32 goals for the year in the Leigh Brown role for a kid in his 2nd year

Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:33 pm

buckstopswithbucks wrote:
VicParkTragic wrote:

Really wasn't Derek's fault, you don't drop a guy that's kicked 32 goals for the year in the Leigh Brown role for a kid in his 2nd year

The horror, the horror !!!
SteveH67 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:32 pm
Post subject: Re: Who is Stewart?Reply with quote

buckstopswithbucks wrote:
ip address wrote:
I've seen in a couple of posts and even a photo ... but who is Stewart? He's seems like the Scarlet Pimpernel!

The son of the man that kicked 32 goals in the Leigh Brown role for us in 1979 and was dropped on the eve of the Grand Final that we lost to Carlton by 5 points for another Forward/pinch hit ruckman in Derek Shaw

Derek Shaw collected ZERO possessions in the Grand Final

Never has a premiership been more lost at the selection table, we dropped a guy averaging one and a half goals and replaced him with a donut Crying or Very sad

Lol, Who can forget.

Derek Shaw, my god what a spud he was!

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:32 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Damien wrote:
Where was Chris Perry when all this was going on?

The best thing about Craig Stewart was that we traded him to Richmond when he was past his best.

God we had a golden run doing deals with Richmond for awhile there...

Seems I've got dementia these days, but wasn't Craig Stewart traded to the Tigers as part of the deal which delivered us Raines?? To be honest the 70s and 80s are all a bit of a blur to me these days.

In 83 and 84 we were engaged in a poaching war with Richmond. In 83 we recruited David Cloke (which was almost the only good decision "The New Magpies" committee made). Thanks to that recruitment we got a Premiership Centre Half Forward under the father/son rules and his Dad gave us pretty good service for about six years. Can't remember whether we got Raines at the same time as Clokey or one year later. Unlike Cloke, who came to Collingwood because he had fallen out with Richmond Coach Francis Bourke, Raines came strictly for the money. That's the kind of bloke Raines has always been. And thats how he played at Collingwood - quite well but taking care of Geoff.

Richmond retaliated to our recruitment by recruiting Craig Stewart, John Annear and Phillip Walsh. Stewart and Annear were past their best but probably still had a couple of years of VFL left in them. Walsh had played a brilliant first season with us, Richmond recruited him at the start of his second season in the VFL. He never again played as well as he had in his first season.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:32 am

The poaching war wrecked Collingwood for four years and Richmond has never recovered.

Maybe we could have one with Carlscum. Four years damage then a premiership.
Carlscum eat their own for the next 25 years.

Worth it.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:46 pm

The inspired Derek Shaw selection sounds eerily like the Tristen Walker one. Although we were kinda forced into that one with Peb's suspension.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:49 am

We also got Brian Taylor from Richmond so I think we were well ahead in the poaching war...

As far as the Tristan Walker selection goes: Why they went for him before Jarrod Molloy has still got me stumped.

Lets see...

A proven hardman in his last season against his former club (who were tough as nails themselves), with nothing to lose

or

A youngster who was built like tarzan but played like Jane

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:38 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Seems I've got dementia these days... To be honest the 70s and 80s are all a bit of a blur to me these days.

Brucey, don't be too hard on yourself. I was actually pretty impressed you and Ian even made it to the Sherrin stand most saturdays, after gigging and chasing skirt on the friday nights with little or no sleep....

Dr Pie wrote:
In 83 and 84 we were engaged in a poaching war with Richmond. In 83 we recruited David Cloke ...gave us pretty good service for about six years. Can't remember whether we got Raines at the same time as Clokey or one year later. Unlike Cloke, who came to Collingwood because he had fallen out with Richmond Coach Francis Bourke, Raines came strictly for the money. That's the kind of bloke Raines has always been. And thats how he played at Collingwood - quite well but taking care of Geoff.

Yep, we lost Peter Moore to Melbourne which nearly broke me. Thus we need a logical replacement in Cloke, i think it occured in that order late 1983. Raines came over in the same boat, wore #40 in 1983, then #4 for 1984/1985, until we ran out of money in early 1986. As we all know, Raines went to Essendon and Richardson followed, and were about as popular at Windy Hill as flies at a BBQ. Of course both were shipped off by Sheedy to the inaugural Bears in 1987, along with old mate Walsh [who got his right whack might i add]. So really, we need to remember that these blokes were paid sweet f.a. back then, lucky to get a couple of thousand per game, if that. Loyalty to the jumper was becoming a thing of the past, and it wouldn't be unrealistic to say that these two blokes were in hindsight the first authentic professional footballers.
As an aside, those of us who went to VFL park in 1983 to see Cloke and Raines' first run against their old team will recall the greatest club banner of all time being unveiled:
POOR RICHMOND, CAUGHT IN THE WOODS WITHOUT A CLOKE AND IT RAINES [or something to that effect...]

Dr Pie wrote:
Richmond retaliated to our recruitment by recruiting Craig Stewart, John Annear and Phillip Walsh. Stewart and Annear were past their best but probably still had a couple of years of VFL left in them. Walsh had played a brilliant first season with us, Richmond recruited him at the start of his second season in the VFL. He never again played as well as he had in his first season.

You know, i've still got a sour taste in my mouth over Walsh leaving?
The #41 was our next potential superstar, had won the VFL recruit of the year award in 1983, then dumped us to go to 9th-mond in 1984.
Then to be given the arse to Brisbane for free in 1987, for the list-clogger he became. No sympathy from me at all.
Poor Snaggles Stewart was effectively crippled by 1983, and remember the knee recos back then were real hatchet jobs, with very prominant visible scarring of the skin for life. And not the clinical refined state-of-the-art procedure it is now. So while we would crumble against the Dons in the 1984 prelim final, i don't know if Walsh and Annear would have made a difference in that debacle of a game. 1985 and 1986 may have been a different proposition though, with two extra runners with clean disposal, may have been enough to help us into 5th spot either of those years.

neil wrote:
The poaching war wrecked Collingwood for four years and Richmond has never recovered..

Dunno Neil - Walsh and Annear leaving wasn't the end of the world, didn't exactly help us in our efforts to make the final five at that time either.
But i wouldn't say either one were bonafide irreplacable champions?
However, sacking Mark Williams at end of 1986 wasn't a smart move.
And Richmond will never recover, they will improve, but cannot achieve any better than a prelim final, as they did in 2001.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:42 pm

Uh. I don't know if they were.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:01 am

Piedys It wasn't just loosing Walsh and Annear it was the shit load of money paid for Raines and Annear that nearly bankrupted us.

Raines was as mercenary as Judd and Richmond also chased Annear so we paid a huge pile of money to his interstate club for years. Over $300,000 in transfer fees plus wages just to oneup Richmond.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:13 pm

neil wrote:
Piedys It wasn't just losing Walsh and Annear it was the shit load of money paid for Raines and Annear that nearly bankrupted us.

Raines was as mercenary as Judd and Richmond also chased Annear so we paid a huge pile of money to his interstate club for years. Over $300,000 in transfer fees plus wages just to oneup Richmond.

Neil, the mathmatics of this Annear equation don't add up for me.
I'd suggest it was the ineptitude of the McDonald board that nearly sent us to the wall, not a string of excessive under-the-table payments for one or two players? Our club threw $300,000.00 around like it was Monopoly money back in the day. Gary Shaw, Teasdale, and other folk-law balls-ups. And the 1978 board wouldn't cough-up in for Bernie Quinlan, who would have won us the 1979 and 1981 Grand Finals off his own boot.
As usual, i'll have to call on Magpie Greg to validate our historical recollections here...

Dyso
raymond35 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:53 pm

The recollections are all spot on dyso.
Richmond also took lovett, lovell and neil peart off our hands as well.
It really was incredible that they thought taking about 5 of our worst players would avenge us taking their 2 best.

Not sure if it was his first game for us but raines played an absolute cracker against essendon at vic park. i was stunned at how dominant he was when "on song" as they say in the classics.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16   

Jump to: