Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Cats. Semi-final

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:

Correct weight. The team sans the Brown brothers and Phillips this year is the right team to go with.

I agree. I would not be changing anyone out for any of these three. I have been in the recent past calling for Sier to come back in, but I don;t support that idea anymore either. He has missed too much game time now to be trusted in a knockout final.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:53 pm

Woods that’s true in any setting be it physical like Iron Mike or some other physiological factor

Can’t think who said it but footy is more often played above the shoulders
and the tough of mind all day can be your best tool

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:06 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:

My two cents worth on the selection and game plan issues.

For a start, there was one remarkable change last week which resulted in a win. We kicked straight. Look at the history of finals. It's almost always the team that kicks more accurately that wins the finals game. There's been a lot of talk about why we won, but that's the reason.

As for the "tactic" of playing two ruckmen, I didn't see it that way. Several teams play two ruckmen. For about 100 years every team played two ruckmen. In recent times, assuming that Cox is a FF, we have played just one, Grundy. He was fit enough and strong enough to compete for almost a whole game and when he rested Cox could give him a spell. Even when at his best though, there was a problem with this. It meant we had to restructure our forward line as it had no tall in it. Grundy can't rest in the forward line because he can't play there but even if he did there wouldn't be much rest for him as he would continually be running from the goals to the 50 line. But as this season has gone on it's become clear that Grundy is not the Grundy he used to be. He can't run or jump as he previously did, and appears more cumbersome. Lazza mentioned that he thought it was a groin injury. After having that injury when I played (I was injured a lot!) I agree with that opinion. I suppose we will find out at season's end. My view is that it was a necessity to play Cameron, not a tactic. If so, Cameron will keep playing. If Cameron is omitted I will be wrong.

The team was also lauded for changing the game plan lat week. Basically, they improved the kick to handball ratio, stopped handballing backwards as much and started handballing forwards more. All of which resulted in quicker and cleaner ball movement. And, it is what almost everyone that has watched them play for the last few months has been calling out for. Like most, I don't see them train. I don't hear the instructions that Buckley and the line coaches give to the team. They know more about the game than we do. You can only assume that they have been trying for a while to move the ball like that but have been failing in the execution.

What that means to me is that we won last week not because of any miraculous or brilliant masterstrokes, but because we did the basics better and most importantly, kicked straight.

Yes, great analysis 5ftw. It makes alot of sense. It also raised the uncomfortable question: If playing two ruckmen is not a tactic, but a necessity, why did we not do this more consistently , and earlier?? An uncomfortable question I guess, but not an essential one right now. I will not be requiring a response right now, and if we win the flag, I guess i will never be requiring a response.

Most likely because Buckley didn't want to play two ruckmen and only did so when it became painfully obvious that he had to. I don't think that I have ever before made a comment on the game day thread until the last game when around half time I commented that Grundy should be relieved of taking part in the centre bounces. Half a game later Buckley made the same decision on the most important centre bounce of the game.

I am nervous about tomorrow night. If you listen to most of the media Geelong were a basket case against Port, but they weren't. They had plenty of the ball, they had enough forward 50 entries to win, they had enough scoring shots to win, but they were inaccurate. Let's hope that continues.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:07 pm

Playing Phillips is like giving the opposition another defender.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:10 pm

Weagles had chances and threatening ones cept they failed

It’s not what Geelong can do it’s what we can do—longer and better

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:31 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
Playing Phillips is like giving the opposition another defender.

To be fair, I thought the selection of Cameron and Mayne last week was going to end in disaster given Cameron has been mediocre and Mayne goes backwards.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:59 pm

Last weeks game left me feeling all sorts of emotions and I've avoided this site until now.

Initially it was just the usual feelings of elation, pride and sheer relief that we won.

Fair to say not many of us thought prior to the game it was a genuine 50/50 contest but once we gave yourselves a great chance at winning anything less would have been soul destroying.

Generally that's where it would end in terms of emotions but this time I came down with a real sense of melancholy and perhaps even a little anger that we seem to save our greatest finals performances for every week bar the grand final and just wished our history was different.

While our win against West Coast was magnificent I do wonder if our grand final record is a direct result of our ability to win finals against the odds better than any team during our long history and we have found ourselves playing off for the flag many times when perhaps we weren't either the best or second best side for that season.

I guess this is the price paid for our journey as Collingwood supporters and while we went close in 02 and 18 I just hope we can win a premiership that's unexpected heading into a new season and against the odds come finals before to long.

As for this week I hope we closely examine what our best 22 looks like against a different opponent and don't just fall back on rewarding the same 22.

While I'm not expecting many if any changes Thomas and Cameron would be my choices as the most in danger to make way.

The omission of Thomas would be based on form with another goalless game extending his dry spell to 4 weeks and on the back of a 4 goal season to date. Of course goals aren't everything but zero tackles alongside 9 disposals isn't screaming pick me.

Cameron was far from dominant but he took a couple of important marks and allowed a surely must be injured Grundy more time to rest. Others may have already noted it but Grundy's time on ground went from 92% in round 18 to just 63% against West Coast. If the forecast is for fine weather I'm expecting him to be retained.

None of the potential in's are world beaters with Phillips, C.Brown and Sier all carrying queries themselves but for mine Thomas has used up his 9 lives and I'd make replace him with one of the above.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:21 pm

No change. Full team in OP.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:24 pm

Wise decision! Settled teams win. Build that WC momentum!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:37 pm

Extremely happy with that news. You don’t break up a team full of confidence unless you are forced to. All I ask is that they give it their absolute best shot.
58pie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:43 pm

GO PIES just enjoy folks.
58pie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:44 pm

We are Collingwood. GO PIES

Last edited by 58pie on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
58pie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:45 pm

GO Saints "just hoping"
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:59 pm

Simple then.
Cox stays at full forward all night and Stanley gets run off his feet.
If Cox can impose himself early again, then we are off to the races.
alexjvillani Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:17 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Simple then.
Cox stays at full forward all night and Stanley gets run off his feet.
If Cox can impose himself early again, then we are off to the races.

Play in front and be first to give and go forward and we'll be sorted.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16   

Jump to: